What's new

1982 Avon gentleman's regiment brush set NOS

So I have been trying to get a full set of 1982 shave items so on my birthday I can do a birthday shave. Looks like it's not going to happen this year. I wanted to share a mug, soap, and brush I got that was all NOS. Everything was still in the original packaging which I kept except for the sealed bag the brush came in. This is a set that Avon made, I guess based off of research, only for Japan in 1982. I have seen the brush and mug separately go for about 25 each. I got the whole set including the soap for 20. I also had a 1982 Avon CJ aftershave I got that was NOS for 12 bucks, but unfortunately the day it hit my mailbox we checked it 20 min after the mailman ran and someone had already gotten in it and stole the package. I'm still very much upset about that. I hope I come across that person trying that s**t when I'm outside. It will be the last mailbox they ever steal from. But back to topic. I am wanting to get the brush re-knotted. I do not like the boar knot that is in it. I did a couple test lathers and this small of a knot does not do well. I'm thinking a 2-band knot would work great in it. Maybe even horse or silvertip. I will have to see prices on knots. Does anyone know what size the knot is? Here are pics of the three items. I didn't take a pic of the boxes but I will later and add those. The soap doesn't smell bad per say. It's not something I would use on a regular basis.
20190822_214654.jpg
20190822_214711.jpg
20190822_214643.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have nothing on the knot size, but that is a very interesting brush. I have never seen that shape before. How does it feel in the hand? It doesn’t look like you can sit it on the base like you usually do. I find it very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.

It is very thin. But actually comfortable to hold. It won't sit on the base. I have it sitting in a brush holder that came with a synthetic brush I got at TJ Maxx. It is almost too thin to sit in that. I'm thinking the knot is about the size of a nickel. It's just so small of a knot the boar bristles don't hold a lot of soap. It also seems like a cheap boar bristle as it sheds like a lab during the summer in a desert. I am really thinking a 2band knot would be best. It would hold more soap and have a decent backbone. Maybe horse if I want softer with less backbone. I'm not sure what would be best in it. I don't think there is much room to raise or lower a knot.

Very interesting set! Different brush from most anything else I have seen. My guess is that the knot is in Wee Scot size range. My best suggestion would be to ask Rudy Vey (a B+B member) to help.

The diameter/depth of the handle is going to limit the size and type of knot you can put into it.
As it's so small, you would want some backbone in it. So, a silvertip may be too floppy, even a horse-hair.
Perhaps a better quality boar knot or synthetic is what's wanted here. Or perhaps you'll simply never be satisfied with that size knot. I've one of similar size and I only use it for travelling.

I will reach out to Rudy Vey thank you for that.

I was thinking about the limitations which is kinda why I was thinking 2-band for the added backbone versus silvertip. I'm not really a fan of boar except for the omega 81052 brush. The boar knot isn't as tall and once broken in feels a lot like my badger brush when face lathering. I have had a couple other omega boar brushes a pro and the proraso chrome pro brush and I do not like that tall knot at all. I could be open to a synth knot. It would probably be better with such little use since I wouldn't have to worry about the natural bristles getting too dry and damaged.

With the gold Avon wording being right next to the opening I don't think it can be widened up at all.

What size knot is the wee Scot brush?

Here is the brush next to and on top of a Razorock 400 brush so you can get a size comparison to something that people are familiar with. Also a shot in my hand holding it so show how thin it is.

20190823_111243.jpg
20190823_111302.jpg
20190823_111324.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great snag!

I revere all the Avon stuff, so nicely done!

Share your outrage over the theft, but most Avon AS is easily replaced. I'm drowning in the stuff.

AA

Great snag!

I revere all the Avon stuff, so nicely done!

Share your outrage over the theft, but most Avon AS is easily replaced. I'm drowning in the stuff.

AA

It can be replaced. It's just the one I bought the person selling it gave me a great deal. It was 1982 Avon CJ aftershave NOS in original packaging it was only like 12 bucks. Or something ridiculously low like that.

I had one of these brushes many ages ago. If memory serves the knot was small but not impossible to find. 16mm I want to say, I've had to reknot 12mm and 14mm brushes before, and those are real bears to find knots for

I didn't try reknotting mine because it will be very difficult with the ceramic handle... but I wish you luck.

I had one of these brushes many ages ago. If memory serves the knot was small but not impossible to find. 16mm I want to say, I've had to reknot 12mm and 14mm brushes before, and those are real bears to find knots for

I didn't try reknotting mine because it will be very difficult with the ceramic handle... but I wish you luck.

My handle is just plastic. I've had two people tell me now some of them were ceramic or porcelain. That's crazy.

Top Bottom