What's new

1924/25 Ever-Readys: Anyone have any experience?

I picked up a 1924/25 Ever-Ready single-edge today in it's original metal case for six bucks at an antique store. :cool:

Does anyone have any experience with how these shave? This will be my first GEM shaving experience but I have always wanted to get a 1912. How do these compare to them?

proxy.php

Last edited:
Did not cut myself but I can NOT get the right angle on this razor. I opened weepers on my throat with this thing, tried it twice. It is understandable why they went out of business as Gillettes are much easier to use.

I'm not really surprised that you didn't get a good first SE shave with this razor. However, of you give up on using an SE based solely upon this experience, you could be making a big mistake. Continue to look for that 1912 patent razor. The tradename on it may be Gem, Gem Junior, Ever-Ready or even Star or Treet.

In my opinion, the 1912 is much easier to use and gives a far better shave. The only razor that I've found that can compete with the 1912 is it's predecessor, the Gem Junior Bar Razor, 1900/1901 patent.

Regards,
Tom

its shave is really different in comparison to other SE razors. the head is quite..."awkward", in a good/bad way i guess is up to you. for some people, the head holds a lot of water. personally i like it, but as tom said youll probably want to start with a 1912.

Just got one of those today (lot of 8, 1 Ever Ready and 7 GEMs, one cased, all for about $21 shipped :w00t:).

Haven't tried it yet, but can go along with the fans of the 1912, it's a fantastic razor.

Just got one of those today (lot of 8, 1 Ever Ready and 7 GEMs, one cased, all for about $21 shipped :w00t:).

Haven't tried it yet, but can go along with the fans of the 1912, it's a fantastic razor.

Great deal! . . . or should I say great steal? :w00t: Enjoy 'em all. :001_smile

Regards,
Tom

Well, my first experience with this badboy was incredible. One of my most BBS shaves ever, no weepers, and just a cool experience using such an old razor. It really does make a cool sound when using it as others have said :biggrin:The only downsides are that it seems like i needed more touch-up than usual (maybe because i wasn't used to the angle) and thus my shave took longer than usual. Also, the rather large head was a bit unwieldy at times but nothing horrible.

I think everyone who has one of these and has never used it should at least give it a try. I can see this being one of, if not my absolute favorite razor. YMMV of course.

Top Bottom