What's new

100 year old shave

yesterday I found an old type 1918 us army issued razor. The whole story is on the razor acquisition tread. A couple of you fine folks wanted to know how it shaved. I just shaved with it. This was my first time shaving with an oc razor. The shave was surprisingly mild yet efficient. The first pass was with the grain. I could barely feel the blade. It sliced the hair with military precision. The second pass was across the grain. No problem there. Very comfortable. The third pass was against the grain. Very smooth. I did get a few weepers. I still have to find the razors sweet spot. I also had my fan club (four kids) crammed in the bathroom chairing me on. They were just as excited as I was to shave with something that special. You can. Imagine the lack of focus it caused. All together the shave was amazing. I was rewarded with a very close shave. Would have been BBS bit I did miss a small patch. One more shave and I will master it. Thanks for reading .

Let’s see them try that with a Fusion in 2118.
I was thinking that when I started the shave. I am a veteran of OIF (operation Iraqi freedom) war. I used a fusion back than. No one will shave with my razor a hounded years from now. Yet I shaved with a WW1 soldiers razor this morning

Sounds like a wonderful Sunday morning in the den. Thanks for sharing and congrats!!
Thanks funny thing is the antique dealer did not know how special it was. After I bought it I told him how surprise I was to find something army issue from WW1 for 15 bucks. He said, what? Let me see! I can't believe I missed that! Damnit I missed that. Well to late you just payed for it. Lol good score

Thanks funny thing is the antique dealer did not know how special it was. After I bought it I told him how surprise I was to find something army issue from WW1 for 15 bucks. He said, what? Let me see! I can't believe I missed that! Damnit I missed that. Well to late you just payed for it. Lol good score
Congrats, that is a great score and a piece of history. My daily shaver is an Old Type and I love how smooth, comfortable and efficient it is. But a friendly warning, imo it isn't quite as mild as it might seem given its smoothness, hence your weepers. If you want a truly mild modern version, try the RazoRock Old Type.

Ah, the tin cap OLD Type. Over a hundred year old design and still one of the best razors ever made. One of my top razors, glad to hear you've discovered it. Congrats and enjoy! :thumbup1:

Lol!

Ah, the tin cap OLD Type. Over a hundred year old design and still one of the best razors ever made. One of my top razors, glad to hear you've discovered it. Congrats and enjoy! :thumbup1:

This!

@Rich lathers
Amazing first shave with an OT (which blade, btw?), congrats... many guys find it too aggressive until they get the hang of it. I like them with a Feather in... glorious shaves!

Congratulations on finding such a special razor, and getting a great first shave with it. My oldest razor is from 1938. Enjoy your shaves!

Thank you for your service. :thumbup1:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm a history nut, but the best part of your shave was the cheerleaders! A hundred years from now maybe their kids will be telling this story! And thank you for your service my good man.

IMG_7147.JPG
I was thinking that when I started the shave. I am a veteran of OIF (operation Iraqi freedom) war. I used a fusion back than. No one will shave with my razor a hounded years from now. Yet I shaved with a WW1 soldiers razor this morning

Awesome shave my friend! I felt the same way shaving with an old 1917 Service Set (pic from my Armistice Day Shave post). The antique dealer I scored it from didn't really care about it but he did say it came from an old WWII navy vet. Which made me a little sad because it predates WWII. Which means it was probably handed down to him from someone older like maybe his father.

It did make me feel good to treat it with the honor and respect it deserved. And I also had that funny thought that there was no way the original owner could have believed that some guy would be shaving with it 100 years later! And it was a good shave! Thanks for sharing.

Hi,

I have four years to go before I can perform a 100-year-old shave. That being with my Grandfather's 1921 Thin Cap Old Type.

But, I do know all too well how your shave felt. :)

Stan

I have a 1907 and a 1917 Old Type, someday I will shave with them. Have to fix the caps first, of all the old types I have only one has no dents on the corners of the cap, and it doesn't take much of a bump from that dent to keep the blade from clamping well (which I suspect is one reason for the thicker cap post 1921).

Top Bottom