What's new

1 piece scales

If I was doing that I'd start with a decent sized hunk of wood and make the slot first with a jig and a table saw. Then I'd smooth out the inside of the slot, put a spacer in there to hold everything steady, and shape the outsides of the scales.

Of course, I've never made my own scales so I'm in theoretical territory here. I might try that and wind up having to turn my first few attempts into normal scales.

That's a thought but it would leave an awful lot of finishing work on the inside which would be a devil to reach.

Maestro Livi uses a band saw. I think Tim Zowada does too, based on the appearance of the inside of the scales.

If I was doing that I'd start with a decent sized hunk of wood and make the slot first with a jig and a table saw. Then I'd smooth out the inside of the slot, put a spacer in there to hold everything steady, and shape the outsides of the scales.

Of course, I've never made my own scales so I'm in theoretical territory here. I might try that and wind up having to turn my first few attempts into normal scales.

I think it was Bill Ellis mentioned doing it with a table saw, but he really didn't like the one-piece scales.

Yeah, a band saw would be better, now that I think about it. You wouldn't have to do as much work to eliminate the curve at the end that you'd get from a table saw.

Just a couple of hints in here....
1. Yes you can make very functional one piece scales any of the ways mentioned above
2. Look very closely at the pictures, I'm not so positive those are one piece scales ....
3. If I was going to do it right, and match the grain, and attain the desirable flex in the scale.......???????

I would do that a little different, that would take some to patience, and true wood crafting skills....

Hmmmm might have to post a thread on how that's done!!!!!

If you want to cut the handle out of one piece of of wood, the band saw is the way to go. A table saw with a thin kerf rip blade wood (wood?) would give you the smoothest cut, but there is a whole lot of commotion going on right where your fingertips are holding a very small piece of wood with what might be some crazy grain that doesn't think highly of being sacrificed to the saw gods.

With a bit of cutting here and matching grain there, you could get the same effect by gluing a wedge from the same wood in between the two scales and no one would likely be the wiser. If you want to go the route of no rear pin for reinforcement, you might even get a stronger joint from the glue job than from just slotting the blank.

Top Bottom