What's new

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Item Description

View attachment 6537

Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Blend of Six, Eight and Twelve Year Old Batches, Bottled at Barrel Proof, 108.4 proof. Runs around $35.

Nose: Oak, Dates, Mild Citrus, Leather. A walk on a path in rural Kentucky with an Orange Grove in the distance.

Palate: A very intense whiskey, possible the most powerful in Wild Turkey's lineup, definately the strongest in it's weight class. Oranges, Toffee, sweet nuts and dates, all combined on a layer of light maple syrup, mint and honey, followed by the drier notes of leather, dew dampened earth and towering white oaks and a blast of alcohol, but still very smooth, no doubt a big and bold whiskey.

Finish: Strong dry finish dominated by oak with small hints of citrus and mint lingers for minutes along with the peppery heat of alcohol.

This is a fun bourbon. It's one of the best ways I know how to describe it. It has many characteristics that one looks for in a fine Kentucky bourbon. It's smooth without being wimpy, bold without crassness. Makes a great mint julep. Something about it's mix of finesse and raw power; robustness and charm makes me happy. If you're looking for big and bold, but gracious enough for a decerning palate, look no further.

Overall Score: 92

Here's a link to the Discussion Thread

Latest reviews

I used to think Rare Breed was awesome. Back in the days when your selection of barrel proof bourbon was limited, it really jumped out and kicked you in the butt.

But times have changed. There are a number of quality barrel proofs out there that contend well with RB. Having tasted George T Stagg and seen what an amazingly crafted barrel proof bourbon can be RB dropped to only above average in my book. Rare Breed seems to sacrifice a lot of flavor for strength, resulting in too much burn. Stagg's pretty hard to get ahold of though so if your liquor store has a limited variety, Rare Breed isn't a bad choice by any means.
Aroma
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
3.00 star(s)
Flavor
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
This is a great representation of Bourbon. A very well balanced powerhouse. Big and bold flavors, yet well rounded. If you like WT 101 then you must give this a try. It takes that flavor profile to the next level. WT has a winner here, it will always have a place in my Bar.
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
This is one of my top favorite bourbons. I enjoy it straight or on the rocks. Like Tim said, it has very intense flavors. Somewhat expensive, but IMHO, worth it.

Tim
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
TimmyBoston
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Consumables (Reviews)

• Glendrostan Blended Scotch Whisky
    A humble review of a scotch whisky that is blended from a recipe prior...
  • Silver Bayou Rum
    "Silver Bayou Rum is proofed with triple filtered fresh water...
  • [Shiraz]
    There are several different varieties of this from Rosemont Estate...
  • Choklat
    A chocolate stout that tastes like chocolate. A rich stout that tastes...
  • Blue Cap
    Brewed in Belgium by Trappist Monks. Bold, Full Bodied, Sweet, and...

More from TimmyBoston

Top Bottom