What's new

Traditional Shave Cream

Item Description

Gents (& Ladies if you'r reading!),

There's hardly any buzz around this product on the web that I have found, and almost no mention of it here at B&B, so I purchased it and will give you review with my first impressions.

I've given it about 4 shaves and I am impressed with this product.

The Aesthetics: It comes from Mayfair London and the packaging is some of the classiest in the business. It's not Acqua di Parma level packaging, but it is certainly nice and has a luxury feel and look to it. It oozes a feeling of class and luxury. I put it ahead of the 3 Ts.

The cream is white and very very creamy in consistency. It might even be a tad runnier in consistency than the 3 Ts. I'm not sure if it is manufactured at Creighton's or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were.

The Performance: I have been using the traditional almond sized "snurdle" in my bowl which instantly explodes into an insane amount of thick, slick, yummy goodness (I'm tempted to taste it). I am a headshaver, so that much cream yields me plenty to do 2 passes on my face and 2 passes on my head with cream to spare. If I were only doing 2-3 passes on my face, a peanut sized dab would do the job.

The first time I tried this cream, I used it in conjunction with the same branded pre-shave oil (which, on a separate note, is second to none) and I had one of the best shaves of my life in terms of slickness, comfort, and amazing moisturizing properties.

In order to better judge the cream by itself, I used it the last two shaves without the pre-shave oil. I did notice the difference, but I can vouch that even by itself, this cream is a top shelf performer. Very slick and very moisturizing. A very slick residue is left on the face between passes. It almost felt like I was using a tallow based soap . "Heresy" you might say.... but it's good stuff guys.

The optimal setup for me was using it with the pre-shave oil, which did not in any way clog my razor or leave residue in my brush as 99% of pre-shave products on the market do, but I would still be very happy just using the cream by itself as well. I would say if used with the oil, there is definitely no need for an AS. The oil is amazing at moisturizing.

The Scent: This can make or break a cream for some of us. The scent is VERY light, and it smells fantastic. It's almost a therapeutic smell. The predominant note is bergamot, but I can smell other things in the mix. Since it is such a lightly scented cream, it is hard to make out the whole note profile in the scent, but if I were a betting man, I would say that I think there might be some lavender, something light and green (basil perhaps), and an every so tiny dash of woods. It does have some coumarin in it, which tends to smell vanilla-ish, but I don't know if it is detectable here. It smells fantastic and I don't see how it would be offensive to anyone. Very pleasant.

The Ingredients: The interesting stuff - Babassu Oil and Manuka Honey. I'm not a scientist, dermatologist, chemist, or expert by any means. But supposedly, the Babassu oil protects and moisturizes and the Manuka Honey comes from a manuka plant which does all sorts of fun stuff for your skin.

Here is the complete rundown: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Mystiric Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Conconut Acid, Glycerin (Veg), Parfum, Triethanolamine, Orbignhya Oleifera (Babassu), Seed Oil, Mel (Manuka Honey), Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Coumarin, Eugenol, Alpha-Isometyhl Ionone.

So, for those of you who are concerned, it is Paraben free.

The Cost: This is $25 for a 4.4 oz tub, so it's not the most expensive cream out there, but certainly not the cheapest. If you buy other products from them such as the pre-shave oil or after shave balms, they offer bundled discounts. I paid $85 and picked up the pre-shave oil, the shave cream, and the ASB.

Final Thoughts: It is a fantastic product, but not the absolute best. I feel it is a good value and I highly recommend it as something worth checking out if you have tried everything under the sun and want to see something new to add to the den. The packaging and presentation are very classy and look great sitting on the sink counter. I will keep this in the summer rotation and see how bad I miss it before re-ordering another tub. The pre-shave oil will no doubt remain a staple in the den. It's the best I have tried and I have tried more than a few.

Latest reviews

Gents (& Ladies if you'r reading!),

There's hardly any buzz around this product on the web that I have found, and almost no mention of it here at B&B, so I purchased it and will give you review with my first impressions.

I've given it about 4 shaves and I am impressed with this product.

The Aesthetics: It comes from Mayfair London and the packaging is some of the classiest in the business. It's not Acqua di Parma level packaging, but it is certainly nice and has a luxury feel and look to it. It oozes a feeling of class and luxury. I put it ahead of the 3 Ts.

The cream is white and very very creamy in consistency. It might even be a tad runnier in consistency than the 3 Ts. I'm not sure if it is manufactured at Creighton's or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were.

The Performance: I have been using the traditional almond sized "snurdle" in my bowl which instantly explodes into an insane amount of thick, slick, yummy goodness (I'm tempted to taste it). I am a headshaver, so that much cream yields me plenty to do 2 passes on my face and 2 passes on my head with cream to spare. If I were only doing 2-3 passes on my face, a peanut sized dab would do the job.

The first time I tried this cream, I used it in conjunction with the same branded pre-shave oil (which, on a separate note, is second to none) and I had one of the best shaves of my life in terms of slickness, comfort, and amazing moisturizing properties.

In order to better judge the cream by itself, I used it the last two shaves without the pre-shave oil. I did notice the difference, but I can vouch that even by itself, this cream is a top shelf performer. Very slick and very moisturizing. A very slick residue is left on the face between passes. It almost felt like I was using a tallow based soap . "Heresy" you might say.... but it's good stuff guys.

The optimal setup for me was using it with the pre-shave oil, which did not in any way clog my razor or leave residue in my brush as 99% of pre-shave products on the market do, but I would still be very happy just using the cream by itself as well. I would say if used with the oil, there is definitely no need for an AS. The oil is amazing at moisturizing.

The Scent: This can make or break a cream for some of us. The scent is VERY light, and it smells fantastic. It's almost a therapeutic smell. The predominant note is bergamot, but I can smell other things in the mix. Since it is such a lightly scented cream, it is hard to make out the whole note profile in the scent, but if I were a betting man, I would say that I think there might be some lavender, something light and green (basil perhaps), and an every so tiny dash of woods. It does have some coumarin in it, which tends to smell vanilla-ish, but I don't know if it is detectable here. It smells fantastic and I don't see how it would be offensive to anyone. Very pleasant.

The Ingredients: The interesting stuff - Babassu Oil and Manuka Honey. I'm not a scientist, dermatologist, chemist, or expert by any means. But supposedly, the Babassu oil protects and moisturizes and the Manuka Honey comes from a manuka plant which does all sorts of fun stuff for your skin.

Here is the complete rundown: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Mystiric Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Conconut Acid, Glycerin (Veg), Parfum, Triethanolamine, Orbignhya Oleifera (Babassu), Seed Oil, Mel (Manuka Honey), Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Coumarin, Eugenol, Alpha-Isometyhl Ionone.

So, for those of you who are concerned, it is Paraben free.

The Cost: This is $25 for a 4.4 oz tub, so it's not the most expensive cream out there, but certainly not the cheapest. If you buy other products from them such as the pre-shave oil or after shave balms, they offer bundled discounts. I paid $85 and picked up the pre-shave oil, the shave cream, and the ASB.

Final Thoughts: It is a fantastic product, but not the absolute best. I feel it is a good value and I highly recommend it as something worth checking out if you have tried everything under the sun and want to see something new to add to the den. The packaging and presentation are very classy and look great sitting on the sink counter. I will keep this in the summer rotation and see how bad I miss it before re-ordering another tub. The pre-shave oil will no doubt remain a staple in the den. It's the best I have tried and I have tried more than a few.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)