What's new

Taylor St. James

Item Description

Before trying this gem, I had convinced myself that I don't care for cologne-scented creams. Getting a tub of this stuff in trade changed my viewpoint forever. This stuff smells so darn good and shaves so well, that I think it is near the pinnacle of all shave creams. Just awesome.

Price
Taylors tubs are pretty darn cheap compared to a lot of other stuff out there.

Quality
Well, Taylor's has come consistency issues with their texture, but this cream hasn't shown any issues for me.

Scent
Here is how it is described by Taylor: "A very complex fresh herbaceous accord with crisp citrus top notes; it starts with bergamot and lavender on a layer of rosemary and coriander; it continues with juniper and clary sage on a heart of warm clove and thyme; then it finishes with base notes of patchouli and olibanum with a touch of amber". What more can I say? This stuff just reeks masculinity

Latherability
The tubs of St. James I have had seem to have a different consistency than the other Taylor offerings - more along the lines of the Avocado. Very soft and rich. It just explodes into gobs of thick, scent-drenched lather. :drool:

Efficacy
Shaves like a dream. No worries about all that scent mucking things up - it just plain works.

Moisturizing
Actually pretty high on the moisturizing scale for me.

Packaging
PVC - who cares?

Look, if you like creams with really intense scents, you cannot miss this one.

This review is being discussed here.

Latest reviews

Pros: Quality, scent
This will be a permanent cream in my rotation. Wonderful scent, nice slick lather.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price: TOBS is affordable but not a steal...this one is no exception.

Quality: TOBS makes great creams; this one feels good and doesn't cause irritation.

Scent: Some people seem to love this...to me, it smells like generic perfume-counter smell mixed with bug spray. It's both to feminine for me and reminds me too much of swatting mosquitoes. I figured I'd give this a try, since I love their Mr. Taylor's cream, but this one's just not my scent. YMMV...some people adore the stuff, to judge by other reviews.

Latherability: It's TOBS. It isn't going to be rivaling MWF or Tabac anytime soon, but it's a solid contender in the lather department.

Moisturizing: I've got really moist skin, so I don't really care about moisturizing. FWIR, it's really good for that, though.

Packaging: It's a standard TOBS tub. Effective & classy.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Well I have shaved about five times with this fabulous cream. Not much more can be said about its wonderful properties but here is my two cents worth.

PRICE:
Can't argue with 13/14 dollars a container and let me tell you you get a ton of product for your dollar. The tub is actually bigger than it looks in most pictures.

QUALITY:
Taking a look at ingredients one will find a few chemical additives but there are also many natural ingredients. The price is just right for whats in it though.

SCENT:
Very manly, I mainly sense pine in this particular cream. It is really hard to describe, but it is also very pleasant in my humble opinion.

LATHERABILITY:
WOW! This is were this product really shines through. Other creams can take a little while to really whip up, but this stuff is thick and creamy with just a few whips of the brush. It becomes a wonderful lather after just 20 seconds of mixing, but hang in there for a little while longer for even more richness.

EFFICACY:
Can't say much here that hasn't already been said it gets the job done!

MOISTURIZING PROPERTIES:
This was actually surprising to me. It rinses away really clean and left a nice smooth face in its wake. I was quite pleased.

PACKAGING:
Not really an issue for me, but it is pretty plain. It is just a PVC type container in an off white color. They slapped a sticker on the top and label on the bottom and shipped it off. However, if this helps them keep the cost so low all the more power too them. If the way your product looks in your shave den is a top priority for you then maybe consider a different product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)