What's new

Swedish G's

OK, why the low score on packaging? because there is too bloody much packaging, that's why. Do I really need a giant case (about 40% larger)with every 5 blades I use (while any "regular pack" holds 10 wrapped blades)? No. Do I need them to be packed in their own retail cardboard backed retail display pack? No again. Do I need some funny industrial petroleum product to remove these blades from the elaborate case? Apparently, yes I do..

These irritate me. I get bumps and what not all over when using these, especially at the jaw line.

Sometimes I like a real sharp blade. When I need one, I will reach for a feather.

I put the quality high as my perception is that these are of a high quality. My perception also told me to "tight roll" my pants and have a mullet in 1986. See how worthless perception is?

As always, YMMV and this could very well be the blade for you. You need to try it to find out. Wasn't mine, and I am glad for it, considering I am not fond of the packaging nor the price. Pity the gent who needs this blade to have a decent shave. He pays 3X more than you do (or at least 2X), gets to unpack each and every 5 pack, and deal with weird lubricating grease on his blades. On the other hand, do try some of Gillette's other offerings (in SEA and Mainland China: the "Rubie" for example) available globally if you can.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Price: I paid EUR 4.50 for 10 of these in Germany; the same as Merkur, I think, and a little more than local Wilkinson's. Gillette also make a plastic-coated variety called "Rotbart", which I didn't try, but retails at EUR 3.50.

The blade: Very sharp, but not a smooth or comfortable shave, even after three or four times.

Packaging: The dispenser is, to my mind, uncomfortable to use, and requires that the blades be coated in a thin layer of foul-smelling oil, which smells on your fingers and even sticks to your razor.

All in all, a bit of a disappointment.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Price - Relatively expensive.

Quality - The blades in the pack were consistent.

Sharpness - The blades seemed sharp, but the shave was not smooth at all and I had to make many passes; more passes than with a Derby Extra.

Longevity - 3 shaves, which is normal for me.

Smoothness of Shave - For me, not smooth at all. As I said above I had to make many passes. Subsequently, it took longer to complete a shave. When finished I did have a pretty good shave with no nicks, but with some razor burn. Maybe I got bad batch of blades.

Packaging - Pretty convenient.

Overall -I was disappointed with this blade. Many people on this board like this blade, but I found them rather uncomfortable. It seems sharper than a Derby, but the Derby was much smoother - which seems contradictory. Maybe I am crazy, but the Swedish G seems very similar to a good American/Russian G. The problem with the A/R G is finding a good blade in the 10 pack. Tonight, I tried a Feather for the first time and it was incredibly sharp, smooth and irritation free - head and shoulders above the Swedish G. In fact, I would put the Derby above the Swedish G just on smoothness. But - this is just my opinion.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Price - Expensive

Quality - They're good quality blades, still not worth the price premium to me though.

Sharpness - Everyone says only Feathers are sharper, but as I found out, if you have a tough beard 'only Feathers are sharper' doesn't mean that these blades are only slightly less sharp than the Feathers, infact they're no where near the same level of sharpness as Feathers. I don't think these blades should ever be used in the same sentence with Feathers. Yes, they're sharper than Merkurs/Derbys/Israeli's, but the difference in sharpness between those blades and Feathers is huge. I would consider these sharper than Derbys/Isrealis, but not anywhere near the level of sharpness as Feathers.

Longevity - 3'ish shaves.

Smoothness of Shave - This is what annoyed me the most, took me 4 passes to get close to BBS on my face, and 5+ touchups still couldn't get the job done on my neck. Though, I will say that these blades are incredibly forgiving, as even after all that I didn't have a nick.

Packaging - Apart from only have 5 blades per pack, the packaging is fine.

Overall - I found these blades to be incredibly over-valued, and as a fellow with a tough beard these blades were just an improved version of Derby/Isreali's that couldn't do the job that Feather did in 1-2 fewer passes. :thumbdown
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Price - Expensive compared to other widely available blades.

Quality - Excellent. My only complaint is that these blades have a very strong metallic smell that other blades don't have. I doubt it is a QC issue and is probably a function of the coatings used.

Sharpness - Feather is the only blade that is sharper and this is a good thing.

Longevity - The best of any blade I've ever tried. I normally toss a blade after three shaves whether I need to or not; however, the Gillette can be pushed to four or five if necessary with no problem.

Smoothness of Shave - Outstanding. Sharp enough to cut easily but forgiving enough for a smooth finish. The best balanced blade on the market IMO.

Packaging - Fantastic. I like the plastic slide-out dispenser more than paper wrapped blades.

All in all this is my favorite razor blade. It is annoying that they have to be ordered from England and are rather expensive but I have not found another blade that I like as much so it is worth the minor inconvenience.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
This is just an awesome blade. It's just ever so slightly less sharp than the Feather, but incredibly smooth. It's also quite a bit more forgiving than the Feather.

It's a great quality blade in that it's sharp, smooth, and lasts a long time. I get at least 5 days out of these very easily.

The only downfall is the price. But hey, what's a few more pennies when we're spending hundreds on a brush, right? RIGHT?

Between these and the Derby blades, I'm very happy and really have no need to use anything else.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Price- 5, because they're the only major brand I can't buy in bulk.

Quality- 10, the best there is.

Sharpness- 9, only the Freather is sharper.

Longevity- 10, the only blades that routinely makes it past four shaves.

Smoothness of shave- 10, even better than the duller IP's.

Packaging- 8, standard fare, but I would like to see them individually wrapped.

These are my favorite blades of all. If the Derbys, IP's, and Feathers didn't all bring something substantial to the table, I'd be much more upset at the price/availability of these.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I have been using these blades now for a couple of years, I don't have a problem acquiring them as they are readily available in my local chemist, price wise £2.57/$5.00 for a pack of 10 is IMHO a good deal. I rate them better than the German Wilkinson's but not quite as good as the old (I can still get them:sneaky2: ) English made Wilkinson's. Packaging is as you would expect, A good BBS shave is easy to achieve, with very consistent results, With my beard I change the blade every 4 shaves.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Wow! I just had my first shave with one of these. In comparison to Wilkinson Sword, Tesco, and the Walmart Personna these are a different league. However, this is my face and my set up so YMMV. :smile:

These beauties are sharp in comparison to the above mentioned blades. However they are almost twice the price of the Tesco blades and I have only found one supplier locally so far. Can't comment on the longevity though. packaging is much of a muchness, nothing special.

Glad I have bought these and begun to use them, anyone who has not yet given them a go is recommended to do so!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I like these the best of any that are in John's (letterk) sample pack (which I would encourage anyone, but especially newbies, to order). They seem almost as sharp as Feathers, and for me anyway, they beat the Derbys and IP hands down. Merkur? Don't get me started.

As Doc says, the package isn't much, but you do have a used blade slot. And they are a good bit harder to find, since they don't pop up on Ebay as often as IPs or the Derbys, so that was why the lower mark on price. But for a good blade that will give you more than one or two days, and a glassy smooth shave, IMO, these are "it"!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
D
I find it hard to believe no one has reviewed these.

I have had the pleasure of using and have had a good experience with them.

The first time was a bit rough but I think it was a bad blade because the other ones I used were just great!

Price is a bit steep and they are hard to get.

I find them to be sharp but not the sharpest out their.

Packaging is not much just a dispenser and the blades say Gillette on them that is it.

The rest gets a 10 in my book.
Longevity lasted a week!
Quality is great not a cheep feeling blade at all.
Darn smooth shaves from them.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave