What's new

Standard Razors Black

Item Description

Positive aspects of the product (pros): Light weight, Great Design, Medium Aggression
Cons: Screw seems a bit loose for my taste
Price: 7
Quality: 9
User Friendly: 10
Grip: 9
Ease of Blade Replacement: 8
Aggressiveness: 7.5
Adjustability: N/A
Balance: 9

I received the Standard Razors Black model as part of a subscription service along with some shaving cream and an alum block. My initial impression was that it was light (aluminum construction) and the handle had no knurling to keep it from slipping out of my hand. The cool space age design was a change for me being a fan of Vintage Techs but I found it interesting and functional - more on that later. It's a 3 piece razor and the head can be used with some other handles. I tried it with a tech handle and it fit but I have to say looked funny.

Now to the shaving: This thing is great. I would say it's not as mild like my post war American Techs but nothing like the aggression of my Muhle R41. The closest I own that comes close would be a Pre-War Fat Handle Tech or an English Tech. Still on the milder side but great cutting ability due to the angle. Regarding blades, I tend to favor Silver Blues and Voskhods for most of my razors due to sensitive skin but I was able to pop a Feather into this and shave my head without any blood, a rare feat for me and a Feather. Since then, I've being using this as my test razor for new blades and I haven't found one yet that doesn't perform for me in this (including a Dorco!). A big plus on this is the shape for head shaving - the back of the head where the neck comes together is always a trouble spot for me and the angle on this is PERFECT for getting that spot. I highly recommend this razor, the only thing that concerns me is that the screw that holds the pieces together seems to move a bit too much (its removable) but not sure if that will have an effect in the long run. It screws in tight. Great, great razor.

Latest reviews

Pros: grippy handle, no exposed tabs
Cons: weight is difficult to deal with
Overall this is a very good razor. As I mentioned, there are no exposed blade tabs, which I like and the design is strikingly beautiful. The smooth black finish is surprisingly grippy when wet. I had a difficult time adjusting to how light weight it is. But once I did I found it to be an excellent razor, mildly aggressive and easy to maneuver around the back of the head. I didn't pay full price (in fact about 1/3 of regular retail). Had I paid the full amount I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I do.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
Pros: This is a very unique razor that always gives a good shave
Cons: Unconventional, the head does not have a screw post.
I received this as a gift from my wife as part of the Bespoke box. I have to say that it looks super cool and I was curious about it because it wasn't that heavy and the comb is a bit strange.

That being said, with no knurling I thought that it would step out of my hand. To my surprise, it didn't. Even when my hands were wet, it never slipped.

The balance of the razor is very good. The weight is heavier on the head, which is pretty good to me.

In terms of aggressiveness, it's moderately aggressive. There's a decent blade gap and it always gives me a BBS when I take the time.

I'd recommend this to anyone from the bespoke box. To buy it from their website, it's a bit expensive.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)