What's new

Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore

Razorock's overhyped soap/cream

Item Description

A few months ago, I bought a jar of Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore based on the mostly positive/raving reviews. It arrived with a jar of Martin de Candre Originale. While de Martin de Candre has a place in my rotation, the RSMdF is not used that much...

The soap/creme has a different look/consistency than any other soap I have ever used. It's opaque and transparent at the same time and very soft. I would say the smell is quite pleasant and unique, although I have not tried out other tobacco scents.

I decided to use it for my last three shaves. I face lather only. One time I used the Connaught/Omega Jade boar brush, the two other times I used a 5th gen synthetic from OUMO. My tap water is quite hard, but my other soaps don't seem to have an issue here. My findings (and probably why it didn't manage to stay in the rotation?)
  • Lathers up ok, but lather doesn't hold for too long. Between passes I have to pick up more soap from the jar.
  • I miss the same cushioning I get from my other soaps: Proraso White, Martin De Candre, Master Soap Creations (South Africa)
  • I was frankly appalled by the total lack of residual slickness/lubrication: after rinsing your face with water other soaps allow me some latherless touch ups. I found this virtually impossible with this soap, instead of lubricating it does exactly the opposite! Very uncomfortable.
  • I do not understand the combination of the 'luxury' but way too heavy glass jar and the cheap quality of the labeling, ordinary paper that you can't clean up with a wet cloth without totally damaging it???? Full marks far Martin de Candre's much lighter plastic jar and stronger labeling. Zero marks for Razorock... No amount of marketing hogwash can defend this poor choice. Just picking this jar up with wet hands to reload your brush with soap is a nightmare and frankly dangerous to use in a wet environment.
  • As per instructions, I do leave my jar open after use and place it one the windowsill of a slightly open window for the soap to dry. With all this care, could it be that the soap is already passed it expiry date???
While the soap does not perform as you would expect from a product in its price range, I still have the splash to enjoy the scent on occassion...

Latest reviews

Razorock's overhyped soap/cream?
Pros: Scent
Cons: Lack of lubrication
Poor packaging
A few months ago, I bought a jar of Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore based on the mostly positive/raving reviews. It arrived with a jar of Martin de Candre Originale. While de Martin de Candre has a place in my rotation, the RSMdF is not used that much...
The soap/creme has a different look/consistency than any other soap I have ever used. It's opaque and transparent at the same time and very soft. I would say the smell is quite pleasant and unique, although I have not tried out other tobacco scents.
I decided to use it for my last three shaves. I face lather only. One time I used the Connaught/Omega Jade boar brush, the two other times I used a 5th gen synthetic from OUMO. My tap water is quite hard, but my other soaps don't seem to have an issue here. My findings (and probably why it didn't manage to stay in the rotation?)
  • Lathers up ok, but lather doesn't hold for too long. Between passes I have to pick up more soap from the jar.
  • I miss the same cushioning I get from my other soaps: Proraso White, Martin De Candre, Master Soap Creations (South Africa)
  • I was frankly appalled by the total lack of residual slickness/lubrication: after rinsing your face with water other soaps allow me some latherless touch ups. I found this virtually impossible with this soap, instead of lubricating it does exactly the opposite! Very uncomfortable.
  • I do not understand the combination of the 'luxury' but way too heavy glass jar and the cheap quality of the labeling, ordinary paper that you can't clean up with a wet cloth without totally damaging it???? Full marks far Martin de Candre's much lighter plastic jar and stronger labeling. Zero marks for Razorock... No amount of marketing hogwash can defend this poor choice. Just picking this jar up with wet hands to reload your brush with soap is a nightmare and frankly dangerous to use in a wet environment.
  • As per instructions, I do leave my jar open after use and place it one the windowsill of a slightly open window for the soap to dry. With all this care, could it be that the soap is already passed it expiry date???
While the soap does not perform as you would expect from a product in its price range, I still have the splash to enjoy the scent on occassion...
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)