What's new

Proraso Shaving Soap

Cheap, attractively packaged, smells AMAZING, easy to make a great lather, superbly protective, what more is there to say? If I had to use one soap every day for the rest of time I would use this one. I didn't find it too much different from the Proraso cream, which is also excellent.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Love this stuff. It's a go-to soap that lathers like a cream. Cheap, smells good, easy clean up. What's not to love?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Picked this up at a local store, 8.50 tax and all. Decided to give it a try based on all the positive reviews here. My last purchase was the Nivea Cream which was cheaper however this soap gives a much more creamy and rich later with less, it surpasses the canned stuff and will last way longer, so I can't see why a tub wont last a year which is a great deal. It barely dries out, again I'm new to soaps and creams so my technique isnt quite perfected but it's getting there. Love the scent, some do some don't; to me it's what a traditional barbershop soap should smell like. Love the menthol cooling effect, makes shaving much more enjoyable and for those like me who have sensitive skin and a tough beard that are prone to razor burn and irritation this stuff counteracts it wonderfully, and if you use a nice after shave balm, it's a non issue. This is comming from someone who only uses a Mach 3 Turbo, I can only imagine how much better it can do with the proper DE razor and blade combo. Overall it does a wonderful job, go out and try it for yourself, it won't dissapoint. :smile:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Definitely my fall back soap for all occassions. Lathers well, good old barber scent with serious menthol kick. Great all around soap when you want a break from exotic, expensive scents and want something cooling and fresh.

A must for any serious shaver!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
It's reasonably priced - the tub (I've never used the tube) lasts 6 months or more, and it's what I throw in my shaving kit when I travel.

It's got a pleasant scent which I like (but don't love). The scent doesn't linger, so that's good for the office.

Whips up an excellent lather which I find adequately moisturizing and adequately slick. And by 'adequate', I mean more than good enough. (I generally find glycerin soaps too slick.). And gave me a much smoother shave than the much ballyhooed Tabac.

It cools like nobody's business; best in the warmer months.

Readily available all over the planet.

And one of only two soaps that I keep on the counter (the other being HBS).
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I enjoyed this product, but maybe not as much as the tube version. If you like the more intense menthol experience stick with the tube as the soap is noticeably milder. The consitency of the soap is like putty. The only way I get good results is to take a thin slice off with a knife and then mix it up in a scuttle. I feel that the white tub is a better option than this one, but I still like it well enough. I wish it was a little more moisturizing though.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This is my Favorite soap, and takes up the most space in my cabinets since i bought 5 jars of it after i tried it the first time.
I was looking on the internet to replace my tube of Proraso and i figured why pay 10-12 dollars for a 150ml tube when i can get 150ml of Proraso soap for 6-8 dollars?

So i did and i love this stuff better than the cream. Its easy to scrub the soap into the brush, and it makes a GREAT lather, It's not as cooling as the proraso cream so i can enjoy it in the winter now without the freezing effect.

It does, however, not moisturize your face at all.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Great soap, though it is very cream like.
Lathers easily and the cooling effect is great.
The scent isn't bad, it is a real manly smell, hahaha.

- Aaron
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
This was a brand that I hoped on trying first and with so many other brands out there, I tried several others before this one.

So far Proraso is my favorite bar none!!! Which kind of sucks since I have 3 KMFs, Mitchells, Tom's of Maine and a few other soaps.

This product does not have too strong of a scent, but does smell nice enough. I have had NO problems whatsoever in getting it to lather like some say they have. I just put about a teaspoon of hot water on top of it for a minute, dump it out and let my brush that has been soaked in some hot water and shook off twice get busy.

It provides a good lubrication and it feels great applying to the face and especially after the cold water rinse. I have not notice any drying after usage.

I was smart enough to buy the Omega version right along with this one. It really is too bad about me having a stock pile of others now because this is the one I will continue to use.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
i love my proraso, gives me a great shave.
ps, after squeeze and a couple shakes of the brush just remember to add more water to your bowl than just drops at a time.
i add about a 1/5 cup of water at the start and lather up in a bowl. tried the drops but was not slick enough and left my face dry after the first pass. then add a touch more for the second pass and hooah, slick like butter.
practice and feel the lather between your fingers.
other soaps may need less/more water.
have fun and enjoy.
m,:w00t:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
My standard soap. Seems to agree with my skin and gives a fine refreshing shave. Will remain in my rotation as others fall by the wayside. In fact I find I hardly ever feel like using anything else. Much prefer this to Tabac. No problem with lathering either for me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
There's a reason why this has been around since the 1920's - It works.

I tried a more expensive brand, Truefitt & Hill (Trafalger), but the longer it stayed on my face, the more unconfortable it became. Difficult to expalin, a burning sensation (little redness though) that would linger 1-2 hours after completing my shave which typically takes 15 minutes. This became a thing of the past with Proraso.

Proraso is slick, confortable, and cool - during and after the shaving is done. The scent makes you think of an an old barber shop, love it or leave it.

The price is good too. I use it because it works, not because it's inexpensive. I would gladly pay as much as I did for the british soaps if it were the case.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Proraso soap is the steal out there for shaving soaps. It lathers nice, I get good performance with with my blade/razor combination. The only thing that turns me off is the menthol scent, reminds me too much of Vic's Vapo rub for some reason.

For me Proraso is a great back up soap and it's readily available in Canada in Shoppers Drug Mart.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Shaved with the Omega version of this today, first Proraso experience. I found that it worked well, but I was actually expecting more of a scent. The thing that got me was the cooling effect though. The menthol in this stuff takes charge. I will keep in in rotation just for that feeling. It kind of dried out my skin though, so I will have to use a balm with it.
When I first started wetshaving I browsed these forums and watched Mantic's excellent videos extensively. Seemed Proraso was a reputable brand and at that time was still available in my local Target. Have now moved on and tried quite a few other products, but seem to appreciate the Proraso more every time I go back to it. The smell is not one of my favorites, but sure brings back memories of good shaves before. Everybody should try some, and I would guess Proraso probably has more return business than any other brand (meaning if you bought it once, you'll buy it again some time in the future).
This is definitely a soap and should be treated as such. I believe many problems arise from taking quantities from the container and trying to mix elsewhere due to the soft consistency of it. I mix it straight in the bowl (as I do all soaps) after having left some hot water on top to soften it up. It lathers up very well using this method and gives a slick smooth shave. The mentholated effect is not for everyone but I love it in warmer weather. This is a soap I will always have in my collection.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This was my first soap and it is still one I go to frequently. The scent will make sure you're up in the morning but it will give you a good shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Proraso is my new favorite cream after using it for the majority of my Christmas vacation and it lasting the test of time, I still use it out here in the frigid Utah weather and think it works great. The thing I like the most about it is the eucalyptus properties how after a few uses the skin behaves very well and it's almost as if it contains some antimicrobial qualities or at least skin stimulating properties that I can't quite put my finger on, but it makes your skin feel and look great.

The cooling factor I found once in this product is kinda strange because after lathering it on your face for a certain amount of time the coolness goes away and is replaced by a warmth (so it's all the much better on that part for me).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Price -- EUR1.49. This is the cheapest stuff on the planet!
Quality -- was a little confused by its softness, it isn't a soap as we know it. Having said this, it is presented nicely in a series of ripples.
Scent -- strongly minty eucalyptus scent. Highly cooling on the final cool water rinse. *wow*
Lather -- yes, it lathers.
Efficacy -- nice lubrication to my razor.
Moisturising -- face is a little tight and dry after using this stuff.

All things considered, at this price, a great tub of shaving soap/cream.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I hate this soap. There, I said it.

I tried to get in the mindset of the others on here - I respect the fact that this is an elder in the shave soap community. That this product has a rich history with generations of hirsute Italian men.

I even read the other Proraso threads and attempted various ways to create lather with this difficult soap. I tried a pre-charging of glycerin soap ala "superlather", I used a vegetable glycerine pre-shave. I did it all.

And this soap still failed all around. Poor lather. Lather starts to break down immediately. Smells terrible. Dries your face. Provides horrible lubrication.

Every other soap or creme I have beats it soundly: Pirate's Cove, Mama Bear, Taylors... Hell, even my .99 cent plain glycerin soap whips into a richer, creamier lather.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)