What's new

Proraso Shaving Soap

Pros: Cheap, Quality, Great Lather
Cons: Slickness/Glide
This is my go to soap. Does great in the shower and produces a thick cushioning lather. Falls a little short on slickness/glide but, a few drops of preshave oil in your bowl does the trick. The soap is very affordable however, preforms better than most higher end soaps I have. The cooling menthol is a great way to start your day feeling fresh. I would highly recommend this soap to anyone.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice lather
Cons: Smell and menthol
When i first received the Proraso soap, i did not liked the smell right from the start. I felt it a little musty, a little minty, but as much as i expected.

I started lathering it up and it does a great lather fast, without too much effort. Applied on the face, you start feeling the menthol and eucalyptus, not so much as smell, but as a feeling on your face. I personally do not find this thing so great, as your face is getting a little dumb from it, and i was not able to feel the blade too well. From this reason, i got myself a little cut, but was not able to feel it too much.

Got mixed feelings about this one. Great shave, great lather and lubrication, but i don't like the smell and minty feeling too much. I also felt my face a little dry after the shave. More dry than with other cremes. I guess menthol helped with that too.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Cons: none
my first shave soap
will always be in my rotation
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Creamy, smooth & protective lather
Giving me a consistently smooth preparation for shaves with every blade I have tried.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Cons: requires a seperate bowl or face lathering
Smells like mosquito repellant; not that that's a bad thing. Its minty quality makes it great for cold water shaves and it plays extremely well with the equally minty Edwin Jagger Hydrating Pre-Shave lotion... like an artic breeze!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: scent, ease of lathering
I used the cream for a long time before trying the soap. They are both excellent and will always be in my shave den.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Lathers like a dream, the cushioning and protection this hidden Drugstore gem is amazing I highly recommend this soap to everyone its great you cant go wrong with this one. I leaves you're skin so smooth and refreshed from the menthol taste.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Cooling sensation, price
Cons: average scent
I'm starting to think that the new formula makes the best lather out of all the shaving soaps in my den. Scent is so so, and smells like noxzema. I don't love it, or hate it. Everyone should have this.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Cost, Scent, latherability
Cons: Soap slippage in container
For the same price, I prefer using the cream green tube instead because it is user friendly: halfway through the pot, the soap kept turning in the pot as I swirled my brush on it. Performs like its cream brother. Good item nontheless.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I use this all the time. Not the best smelling soap if you are looking for 'scent' but for a great shave this works wonders.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Over all not a high score but given the price its a go to product for me that an you can buy it any place.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Good. Less freezing than the tube version, but a little bit more lubricating.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
i agree
I was over in Italy a couple weeks ago and stocked up on Proraso and a bunch of other creams and soaps (it was a bit ridiculous actually). :tongue_sm

When I was in Florence I was lucky enough to sit down for a straight shave by Luigi (seriously) who has been giving shaves in his small two-seat barber shop about a block from the Duomo for FIVE (count 'em), DECADES!! This guy was awesome. Didn't speak a word of English, but went straight to work (no pun intended) and gave me one of the best and closest shaves of my life. This was Classico Italiano - Omega #48 Professional boar brush, Proraso soap from a giant tub, Floid amber A/S and Proraso pre/post-shave to finish.

So how did Luigi load his brush? He: 1) pulled out a small amount with his index finger, 2) shoved it way down the middle of his wet brush and 3) went to town lathering directly on my face for a good two minutes. Worked beautifully. I do the same now at home and get great results.

Is this a soap? Is this a cream? I don't know, but it sure lathers nice and man do I love the cool feeling and smell. Eccellente!!!:thumbup:
I got the black Omega tub. Same stuff. Tried it today. Love the scent of menthol and eucalyptus. Great for fall and winter. My new Pakistani horse brush had no problem in generating a lot of good lather with just a little bit of product. Very good and slick lather. Loaded the Bump fighter handle with a Feather F2 and had a great shave. Razor glided very well, got as close to a BBS as I will probably ever get in 2 passes. I can see only one problem here: there's SLS and 4 types of parabens in it. Pity, otherwise it would have been perfect. But a great soap and one to try :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
If I could only have one shaving soap this would be it. The soap does an outstanding job but the smell is what sets it apart. It makes me feel positive and upbeat.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
An excellent soap.
In these summer months, the cooling menthol is a real plus. Combined with the pre/post shave cream and after shave lotion, this product will give you an excellent shave.

There's nothing I can say about Proraso that hasn't already been said a thousand times before. If you haven't tried it, then buy some. You shouldn't be disappointed.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I can say I get better lather from this then I can tabac. Love the way it smells fresh clean not heavy on perfume very clean.Razor glides along just fine.No irritation when I'm done. Will use this and omega only from here out. Great product.:thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Everyone rants about how awesome Proraso is, and I can respect that. It's a soap that's been around for forever and a day, and I hope for the sake of all those who love it that it never goes away.

However, for ME, it provided the worst shave that I've ever had. Ever. It felt like I was shaving with Vick's Vapo-rub cut with cream cheese. I tried all the variations, and I could not get a lather that I was happy with. My skin is so irritated that after two hours I'm up at 1:50 AM ranting about how much I hated the soap hoping that I'll feel better and be able to get some sleep.

For most people, this soap is great. For whatever reason, I just can't stand it. I guess I'm just a Tabac man
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
I had to try this shaving soap.
It comes from the city I was born.

So this morning I wake-up and I did a comparison applying the four pass shaving method.
I started - first pass- with this and then I tried the Proraso while for the third and the fourth one I used the Weleda one.

So I'd choose
  1. Weleda
  2. Valobra
  3. Proraso

Weleda is the best for the scent, without any doubt. May be is worse for the lather - I'd report after more in deep trials - even if I saw it depends how you can work it.
Valobra, in terms of lather richness is the best. Its scent, however, remind me the white glue I used at the elementary school ( perhaps my first brush! :biggrin1: ).
However, between this kind of products, Proraso cannot stand out. Even if it is a reliable product.

Here in Italy you can find the Proraso at less than 2Euro! But I cannot find yet the Aloe version.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)