What's new

Proraso Shaving Soap

This is an excellent product, I have a lot I could say about it I'm gonna split my comments into categories to be sure I cover it fairly.

Price: Considering it's about 2 to 3 euros in Italy I'd say it's fairly overpriced in the U.S. I know there is a heavy tax on imports but darn, 11 bucks for a tub is a huge leap from 3 euros.

Quality: I don't mind paying 11 dollars for a tub since this stuff works great, much better than anything else I've tried. Go ahead and read the ingredient list, it's a quality product. It helps fight irritation and the razor glides effortlessly. It doesn't last as long as some hard soaps but it does last a while. I can get 3 to 4 months out of 1 tub.

Scent: this is probably the most subjective trait, it's entirely up to you what scent you prefer. I love the scent, it just smells clean. The "clean" smell is a bit strong when you have the lather on your face but it does not linger and won't clash with your after shave.

Lather: I can get a good thick lather with this soap. Some reviewers have had issues with this soap and I think, as some reviewers have said, it's because they were treating it as a cream. This soap isn't as hard as others and I'll even agree with other comments that this is a hardened version of the cream. However, you get much better results when you treat it as a traditional soap instead of taking small ammounts out of the tub to mix as cream. Also, somehave had issues with how thin the lather is. I have always been able to mix a thick and rich lather, I think the main issue is that some are not loading enough soap on the brush and/or using too much water. Take your time loading the brush, make sure you get plenty of soap on the brush and go easy on the water. Add 1/2 teaspoon of water at any one time and see what you get, if you need more then add another 1/2 teaspoon and go from there. This stuff can dry your face if you are not careful, I find it useful to rinse my face in between latherings, dry (slightly), and reapply. Another issue is that, during the DRY winter months the lather dries quickly on your face, but if you shave in the bathroom right after a shower all the steam will take care of that issue and it won't dry on your face.

Efficacy: Does what it's supposed to do. Allows the razor to glide, softens the beard, and, if used properly, moisturizes.

I'd recommend this product without hessitation. Read the ingredient list, compare it to other soaps costing 3 or 4 times as much and you'll realize you have a quality product at a reasonable price.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
First use of this great product today!

I bought it at my local Shoppers Drug Mart. 8 bucks. Not bad for the quantity but not cheap either in my eyes. Compared to premium soaps it's still a good deal.

I took my wet brush, squeezed out most of the water but left it moist. added a drop or two of water directly to the soap and went at it. I tried to lather directly on my hand and the results were adequate. Not exceptional. The cooling menthol was there but I was wondering what the fuss was all about... For the second pass, I started from scratch. I cleaned out by brush and followed the same steps. But this time I lathered on the lid of the soap container.

WOW! Huge difference, slick, moisturizing, not super thick heavy lather, but degrees of magnitude better than my Wilkinson blue tub.

Paired it with the Proraso Pre/post cream and my face felt like a million bucks.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I use this as my travel soap. The smells is so so and I couldn't use it every day, however, it is nice after using some of the lighter smells from the 3T's. Lather is great...price was decent and it made my face feel nice and cool after being used.
wa_bacchus;127928 said:
<snip> ... this soap still failed all around. Poor lather. Lather starts to break down immediately. Smells terrible. Dries your face. Provides horrible lubrication.

Every other soap or creme I have beats it soundly: Pirate's Cove, Mama Bear, Taylors... Hell, even my .99 cent plain glycerin soap whips into a richer, creamier lather.

I used this, my first Proraso product since starting DE nearly 18 months ago, and had an absolutely fabulous shave. Why didn't I try this sooner?

I think what put me off were descriptions of the Proraso scent. I like tingle, but not keen on medicinal smells. I was pleasantly surprised, it's not overpowering at all and very refreshing.

Is wa_bacchus using the same product?

I've tried many soaps that are raved about on here, like MWF and Tabac, and this beats them soundly!

This is SLICK, SLICK, SLICK, very very slippery. Provides excellent lubrucation, perhaps the best yet. Only Mama Bears has given me anything close in terms of lubrication.

I've found that, after a particularly close shave, many hard soaps sting slightly when you rinse off, particularly after the final pass. Not this baby, I felt like I could keep going! :biggrin:

I can't wait to try the rest of the line up. If this is the least impressive, then I can't imagine what the rest are like!

John
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
For the price it's a 10 all round. Clean n fresh.

After also reading jim's tutorial and soaking the brush for 5 minutes at least along with a couple of drops of water on the soap to let it soak this has turned Proraso soap into my favorite at the moment.

Great slick protective lather, top it off with the pre/post, splash and then the proraso balm and it's brilliant!

Great scent and good for the skin also! Bellissimo.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I've used Proraso for quite some time. I would recommend it for anyone shaving with a DE using a stainless steel blade, but with the caveat that it is potentially not a good product for straight razor use.

Overall its a good product that I used with my DE, but there are a couple of issues:

1) It has every paraben imaginable, which personally I am not totally happy about. While I don't insist that a product be made of all natural ingredients, I do prefer a product with more traditional ingredients.

2) No tallow or lanolin.

3) I moved over to straights a few months ago and unfortunately I have found that Proraso affects the finish on some of my straights. On the Wade & Butcher straight I use the Proraso causes some staining and actually rust marks in the metal after use, the same thing happens with my Rolls razor. In both cases this does not happen when I use the blades with my other soaps. I suspect that the Proraso is slightly acidic and therefore does not agree with the high carbon steel in a traditional straight and Rolls razor. Either way there is something in the Proraso which differs from traditional products which does not agree with my straights and Rolls.

Of course YMMV.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Great product. It's protective, relatively inexpensive, readily available and super long lasting. Plus it smells great! Although I have many, many other soaps, I continue to return to this product time and time again.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Great product. I am fan of the soapy menthol scent, and of the cooling sensation I get.

I've been using it happily for a long time prior to my recent switch to DE shaving. However, after reading Jim's lather tutorial (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21136) I've really improved the lather I've been getting from this soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This is the soap Dad would start you on. It's a real go-to product that never fails and seems to last forever. Any noob would be well served to use this for a smooth, soothing shave.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
i tried other soaps ,but for quality and price,proraso green soap,,u cant beat it,,it moisturize, lather like hell in a minute(i mean a rich and thick lather) ,smell good,,and its available everywere,,u cant beat this italian soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Just switched from the Proraso white tub (ultra sensitive), and before that L’Occitane Cade soap. This is the best product of that mix by far. I’ve been using it for a week now and I’m very happy. It provides great cushion and lubrication without being too slippery and, as others have mentioned, my skin feels great after using it. I don’t find the menthol or eucalyptus overpowering at all – in fact I can hardly notice it. The smell is clean and business like and doesn’t linger once the shave is over. I face lather and I’ve not had any problems in getting a great lather up in no time. I recommend the Proraso splash afterwards to complete the deal. Leaves you feeling very fresh and clean.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This was my first soap that I've ever purchased and I'm really glad I did! I found that this was a great smelling,lathering and moisturizing soap. I've used it about 5 times now and it's been great every time. I can tell that the tub is gonna' last me a long time too. Great soap!:001_smile
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
It's quite surprising to me (an Italian) to read such enthusiastic comments about Proraso. I think it's one of those products more appreciated abroad that in its country. Here Proraso is very very cheap, (3 euros for this shaving soap, and it lasts 6 months!) and not regarded as a luxury item! :D I think, anyway, it's a product with a great value/money ratio! :D
I found this soap to be really top notch. Great cooling from the menthol leaves your face refreshed and cool more than any other soap I have yet tried. It lathers up really quickly and produces a thick rich cream. It is a decent sized puck for the price (7.99). I would say that its cost compared Williams or VDH is a little much but you get more out of it, and it moisturizes very well. I will definitely be stocking up on a cup after this one is done!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is a really good soap, within my top 3 and in my rotation. I seldom use a cream but I find this soap almost cream like. It's a soft soap which allows me to use my most luxurious brush to build up an excellent lather. I would especially recommend this to a beginner who might have problems getting a nice creamy lather.

I like the scent. It's a nice clean scent. During your shave you get a nice cooling effect to your face. It feels good. Your face is left soft and not dry.

In all it's a bargain and highly recommended.

Len
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Price: Great price for a product this good!

Quality: I love this soap and will always have it in my rotation.

Scent: I love the Proraso scent in all its forms!

Lather: Nice lather that works up with little effort.

Efficacy: It does what I want it to do!

Moisturizing: Not the most moisturizing, but it's best used on a warm day or when you want a break from the "heavier" products, so this isn't really a weak point to me--it's a positional soap that is every bit as important as its more moisturizing brethren.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I cannot say anything else...This is a very good stuff.Highly recomended for everybody.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
ouch;36888 said:
To me, this is the least impressive of the Proraso range. Having said that, it's still a very good product that provides a nice shave. At its price point, it's better than Williams, Surrey, et al.
Still, for the true Proraso experience, spring for the extra buck and get the green tube.

wow- total opposite of my impression. I greatly prefer the "soap" version because I prefer to face lather rather than to build a lather in a bowl. My tube of cream sits pretty much unused (going to try to convert a friend to DE shaving with it).

both of these products contain the exact same ingredients- the only difference is the soap has more paraben to thicken it than the cream does.

I wonder if they would superlather together?
I love this soap what can i say about it that has not already been said. I've walked by the shaving isle a few times and walked right past this product i was skeptical on whether to buy it or not. The only products i have used prior to adding proraso to my collection are conks Lime and Amber and Tabac. I finally gathered the nerve to buy it and WOW! my first shave with it was absolutely amazing I am a night shaver and that night i had the most amazing sleep than i can remember. The cooling effect of this cream is nothing short of superb, the lather is very thick and creamy as well im using a C&E BBB. Summer is comming so for now this is going to be my everyday cream i may switch back and forth but this little guy is staying in plain view on my counter top

Cheers:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
D
I have used Proraso since the mid eighties and i still reckon its a great product, but like most products some skin and people might find the eucalyptus a little strong, its personal i suppose. cheers
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)