What's new

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Aftershave

My son had the best one-word description of this A/S scent... "Eeeewwwww!"

I still gave it a chance, but I only tried it once, as the smell really didn't get any better for me as the day wore on. Other than the smell, it worked just as well as any of Pinaud's other products. I ended up trying to wash it off about mid-day, however... but I would still catch a waft of the "odor" every now and then.

This just HAS to be one of those "acquired tastes". And I'm sure there MUST be a market for it, or Pinaud would not sell it.

I'm glad I only bought a sample bottle.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
:smile: Ever since my grandfather would use this as a staple item and throw some on my face it has always had a good place in my mind. I actually think it's refreshing, clean, and allows you to put it on liberally without the scent being to strong. It's a staple item that does smell better on then in the bottle.
I love the shape of the bottle and the fact that it has good memories for me as scents tend to have. The scent though not strong, does linger throughout the day, and that says something. I really do like it as a clean and refreshing tonic. I'm sure more people agree with me then what the other reviews say.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I just tried this after a pretty rough shave, and will be going back to Walgreen's to buy their other two bottles. This is the first alcohol splash I've tried that I didn't want to top with Skin Food. Tingles like Bay Rum, but without the hellfire. Very nice feeling, earthy scent. Spring day,bare feet on the grass, dirt under your fingernails. I guess scents are subjective.

Norm
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I understand the comments about its odd and foul initial odor out of the bottle. But as some posters stated, I had to give it a try. What I found was that it changes in a good way when it contacts your skin.

I typically wipe the excess on my forearms after application. What I notice is that a couple hours later if I think to smell my forearm, I find a very pleasant soft and complex scent. It still does not smell like lilacs or vegetation, but I really like it. Additionally it is the only scent I have worn that has ever elicited a “you smell good comment” from the fairer sex. Strange but true.

Mike
This one is in my high rotation. :thumbup: I usually use it when I need a pick-me-up after a bad day. I like the cooling sensation and the way it kind of "loiters" (lingers is too negative sounding.) I understand what some are complaining about when they say that it smells like wet sock, but for me, it just works. It is a little overpowering straight out of the bottle, but after I put it on, I just get a nice pleasant scent that lasts for a surprisingly long time. SWMBO doesn't care for it quite as much as she likes Pinaud's bay rum on me, but she doesn't hate the lilac either. I think P's Lilac Vegetal is sort of the William's shaving soap of the aftershave world. You either love it, or you despise it. Put me in the "love it" column. :letterk1: But remember, I'm one of those guys that doesn't go in for the alum block and the moisturizer and the pre-shave exfoliation. (ok, once in a while I'll use an apricot scrub on my scalp.) Like all things shaving, it's a YMMV kind of thing. Besides, what's not to love about finishing a shave by splashing on something that looks not at all unlike antifreeze?
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
D
I had to crack open a bottle of this stuff to see what all the fuss was about. The smell (I cannot get myself to even use the word scent) is terrible. I rubbed some on my wrist and immediately needed to wash it off. The Clubman Bayrum and Pinaud is GREAT, but this Lilac should be avoided IMHO. Not to be crude, but I agree with the previous reviewer in that it stunk of urine.
this stuff is horrible..I tossed it right into the trash..I can't even explain how it smells..it's just awful.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Once upon a time, Lilac Vegetal was great. In the 60's and earlier, it came in a glass bottle. It had a light, floral fragrance that never became excessive no matter how much you splashed on. And it lasted for days at a time. Really nice stuff and nothing cheaper on the market.

When Pinaud changed to plastic bottles, I immediately noted a different, skunky, unpleasant smell. I tossed it and bought another, believing I had bought a bad batch. The second bottle was no better and my wife complained about the scent and asked me not to use it. I actually wrote to the distributor to ask that they return to the original scent but never heard back.

The bad scent persists. Judging from the comments on this thread I'm amazed that Pinaud sells any of this stuff at all. But it wasn't always like this.
I took one sniff and gave it to our secretary for use as 'office mace' to spray over the cubicle of the gaseous one next to her. It smells like something a dog would roll in.

Wayne
Will not bother rating this one. Bought a bottle 12 years ago and my impression of it is still fresh in my mind. This is one of those products where you wonder who is really using it and how it has remained on the shelves for so long. Especially when there are some great products out there that we have to scramble thru the internet to find.
First, I love Pinaud. I was very eager, when I bought this. But, it is terrible. Like mentioned before it smells eerily like urine. I am afraid a full review is not possible as I have never let this stuff touch my face. I am glad to read though other lilacs are not quite as offensive, I will give them a try.
This stuff is absolutely horrible.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I'll just add to the rest saying that this smelled so bad I had to immediately throw it out. Therefore, my 0 rating for scent is correct, but I scored a neutral 5 for everything else simply because I wouldn't let this skunk brew anywhere near my face. I truly don't understand how "lilac" and "vegetal" can go so wrong...
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I had bought a bottle of this stuff from Drug World just hours before I found the review here. I agree with others that in the bottle, it smells like... well, not what I expected. Rubbing it on my hands the smell improves. I'm still not sure if I'm going to try it on my face yet, perhaps some evening when I'm by myself and I can wash it off.

--
edit

I had a chance to try it on my skin. While the product smells unpleasant in the bottle, it greatly improves on the skin when it mixes with the skin chemisty. Scents can be like that.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I tried this stuff a few years ago and, like the previous poster, dumped it down the toilet. Smelled somewhat like Glade aerosol. Luckily, the experience did not turn me off to other Pinaud products, which I greatly enjoy.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Hello All,

This Pinaud blend is not very good at all. When I applied it, it smelled like someone urinated on me (not that it happens often :smile:).

I dumped it down the toilet.

I have two other lilac *** which smell like lilac: Master Lilac Vegetol and Lustry Lilac. Both are excellent.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
I was really looking forward to liking Pinaud Lilac Vegetal.

Every spring I look forward to the blooming of the lilac bushes in my yard. I love to smell them in the early mornings after a run. I also like the smell of vegetation, be it the smell of my hands after weeding the garden, the smell of fresh mowed lawn, even the smell of decaying vegetation in a compost pile, wafted discretely on the wind, has a certain attraction. Ed Pinaud had a genius with scents, creating some masterpieces like Eau de Quinine. The Pinaud brand has fragrances like Clubman and Bay Rum that I really enjoy. My imagination told me that the Pinaud Lilac Vegetal was going to be a treat I would enjoy.

It wasn’t. It does not smell like lilacs. It doesn’t smell much like vegetation either.

It smells very much like Play-Doh.

It might be good for going out to entertain some of the primary-school set to whom Play-Doh is fascinating, but for other occasions I would pass on this smell. As an after-shave it’s ok if you ignore the smell.

The discussion thread for this review is here. If you don't want to rate the product, please post in the discussion thread so as not to skew the review scores.
Top Bottom