What's new

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Aftershave

Pros: Fresh and effervescent
Cons: A young person might think it's old-fashioned
I am a convert. When I first tried it I thought it smelled so bad that I washed my face 10 minutes later.

But this product has been around for ages and some people love it. We found out in a recent thread that John Wayne used it. Those thoughts stuck in my mind. This is one of the most polarizing products we discuss here. We also clash on Williams, but we know they reduced the tallow content (tallow is listed as the second ingredient rather than the first) so there is a factual basis.

I don't know why I thought of this, and believe me, I'm not trying to be a prankster in saying what I did.

I refrigerated it. I started really liking this aftershave after doing this. What do most people do after a shave? Rinse with cold water. So why not apply cold aftershave?

I really like using this now. It's fresh and fragrant.

What possible effect could refrigerating the product have? One review stuck in my mind that stated when the product came in glass bottles in the 60s it was a different product. I really wondered if the plastic container had anything to do with the change in smell. I suspect that when something is insulated in glass then moves to thin plastic that there is some effect we may not realize. Maybe refrigerating it made it somewhat closer to the way it was when encased in thick glass. I really don't know, but if you have some Lilac Vegetal that's collecting dust, try one more time refrigerating it before use before giving up on the product.

It's one of those polarizing products like coconut and liver that have both strong likes and dislikes. It's not for everybody. It wasn't for me.

But now it is. :wink2:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent
Cons: None
There is no more perfect aftershave made. If you are able to wear this then you really understand the meaning of perfection in a splash. Great feel but better yet is the scent of lilacs and green vegetation. It never gets old. You can't use too much either. It's just perfect in every way. Best aftershave at any price in my book.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: The great lilac scent
After reading all of the posts about this product, and seeing how great the other Pinaud Clubman products were, I purchased a bottle of "The Veg".

I wish the bottle was still glass.

The scent when you first apply it is a strong lilac and powder scent. This fades to a subtle lilac scent which will last most ofthe day.

There is very little alcohol burn, and a bit of a cooling sensation.

One I have added to my regular rotation.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Staying power
Cons: Associations with institutional scents
A victim of it's own success?

It would be interesting to know if the current scent is the same as the original from the 19th century. My theory is that it is and that it was at one time so popular that it was copied by many other companies ... including those that made commercial cleaning products.

So now those associations are what we first experience. (And don't let anyone tell you it smells like urine - it doesn't, not even close. They are simply associating the problem with the solution.)

Which is why this is one of the most interesting and controversial products out there. We joke about those of us who are "chosen" (and I include myself in this group) but I think these are simply people who either ignore the association or at least learn to appreciate the scent in its own terms - something I was able to do after the third usage.

So for those willing to give it a fair try, you will notice that it hits you with powerful first wave that is both earthy and floral - but whether it is truly "lilac" I'm not so sure. It is however, mild and pleasing on the skin.

After a couple of minutes, however, it settles down to a gentler, kinder fragrance that will remain with you for the rest of the day. Which is great for those of us who don't like aftershaves that seem to vanish without a trace before we've had our first morning coffee.

In summary, it is a scent like no other. And if you give it a chance, you will be rewarded with distinct and dependable member of your aftershave rotation. You may even start agreeing with the slogan: "Those who like it, like it a lot".

And if you feel that you have been "chosen" the slogan may even become: "Those who like it, crave it like a drug". I know that for me, it has become an innocent vice that I can indulge without fear or guilt.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: price, great scent
Cons: takes awhile to settle down
Ok lets be honest here olfactory response is individual to every person so it is very unfair to say it is great or it stinks no pun intended. I was intrigued about the Veg after reading so many bad reviews about it and instead of scaring me away it drew me to give it a try and for $10 US dollars WTH right ? so on first sniff I definitely got the urinal puck scent others have described as well as a odd funk. Now on to the actual application and yes I was brave enough to put the **** puck funk on my face and not just down the toilet. The smell changed drastically over about the next 5 minutes from urinal cake to a interesting collage of scents unfortunately none of which are lilac or vegetal scents, it is more of a herbal smooth relaxing calming scent not unlike a clean washroom back to that urinal cake minus the urine. I'll proudly admit it Lilac Veg is probably my favorite Pinaud scent even moreso than Clubman or Bay rum. Why ? it is interesting and makes me stand out and no not in a bad way I get compliments all the time about what I am wearing mostly women but even men and they ask where to get it and why they have never heard of Pinaud before. I explain the world of DE and straight razor shaving which in todays mach 3 or fusion 65 blade shaving is exotic so the scent is exotic to them and all of a sudden that urinal cake mentioned before becomes a high end unique scent designated to these upscale special shaving guys and I've turned more than a few people onto the Veg. I wear it everyday shave or no shave especially at night as it actually calms me something in there really sets the tone for a relaxing sleep. I'd highly recommend giving it a try and if it's not for you that's fine to each there own but for me the Veg is in my rotation as long as t is made. As a side note if no one bought and i's as horrible as some have reviewed why is it one of the longest Pinaud scents in production that should say a lot on it's own.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Lilac Vegatal is Great!!
Cons: None
found this product at the Bed Bath & Beyond on West 15th St. in Plano Texas, West of US 75. I tried a bottle based on comments from others in the B&B forum. I am not disappointed. The scent is great. It should work well with my various creams (Godrej, Yardley Ellegance, Pacific Shave Cream-regular, and PSC--Cafenated. My wife even complimented it's scent!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smells and Feels Great
Cons: Some people equate lilac to urinal cakes
This has to be the most polarizing scent in existence. Many people cannot smell anything but urinal cake, old lady, or cat pee. I really don't get it, except for the fact that lilac scent is regularly used for urinal cakes and that smell gets ingrained into people's brains to where they cannot detect the complexities of the Veg.

Even smelling it straight out of the bottle, I sensed nothing but a flowery, powdery, classic smell that was very pleasant (which is what it's SUPPOSED to smell like). As soon as I put it on, the scents start mingling with my body chemistry and brings out some hints of grasses, and maybe celery seed. After the dry down is where the real beauty happens. The powder and lilac scents drift from the skin like a lovely melody. The scent is long lasting and pleasant, and I've never had a bad reaction from anyone while wearing it.

The scent is very different decanted into glass, so those that find the smell putrid at first may want to give it a shot. It significantly changes it, more to what it should be actually. Plastic bottles are a travesty.

In any case, I am proud to be one of the Chosen, and the jibes about the Veg just roll off of me.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
My first experience with this AS was with a sample provided by Larry at Whipped Dog. I used it and loved it. When I purchased a bottle I realized that it has a very strong scent in the bottle. I'm guessing the sample was oxygenated a bit which is why it had a mild lilac scent right off the bat. Now I pour some in a cup and let it sit for a few minutes before use and the initial funk dissipates. I find there is almost no cooling sensation which is something I prize in other AS's (like proraso splash) but it still feels good. Overall, I love the scent and find that it blends well with earthier scented soaps like La Toja.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: scent price
Cons: plastic bottle
This seems to have less of an alcohol burn than any other Pinaud product I've used. As many people in this thread have stated, this smells like a different product in glass. After I decanted this into glass I had a subtle, long lasting scent that reminded me of flowers by a country pond. In the plastic, there is a biting, sour odor that fades, but is not pleasant.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive, and it's Green.
Cons: Unusual smell for something sold as cologne,
I remember my Grandfather telling me about how he and the other Marines in his unit in France during WWI would drink Lila's de France Lilac Vegital between shellings... so I had to try it as an aftershave when I found it was still available. A very "unusual" scent for something being sold as a cologne. It has grown on me a little with repeated use. There is something I like about weird, old stuff. Still, I doubt it tastes much better than it smells.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Pros: It does dry to a nice flowery Lilic. Just get past the initial unpleasant first note.
Funny thing. I am a minister and I do a lot of funerals and open casket wakes. Although every funeral director has denied it when asked, I am convinced I smell Vegetal on the corpus that has been dead a while and is probably beginning to get ripe. Otherwise I use it for an nighttime shave just before bed, very calming and relaxing.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
I was really looking forward to liking Pinaud Lilac Vegetal.

Every spring I look forward to the blooming of the lilac bushes in my yard. I love to smell them in the early mornings after a run. I also like the smell of vegetation, be it the smell of my hands after weeding the garden, the smell of fresh mowed lawn, even the smell of decaying vegetation in a compost pile, wafted discretely on the wind, has a certain attraction. Ed Pinaud had a genius with scents, creating some masterpieces like Eau de Quinine. The Pinaud brand has fragrances like Clubman and Bay Rum that I really enjoy. My imagination told me that the Pinaud Lilac Vegetal was going to be a treat I would enjoy.

It wasn’t. It does not smell like lilacs. It doesn’t smell much like vegetation either.

It smells very much like Play-Doh.

It might be good for going out to entertain some of the primary-school set to whom Play-Doh is fascinating, but for other occasions I would pass on this smell. As an after-shave it’s ok if you ignore the smell.

The discussion thread for this review is here. If you don't want to rate the product, please post in the discussion thread so as not to skew the review scores.
Hello All,

This Pinaud blend is not very good at all. When I applied it, it smelled like someone urinated on me (not that it happens often :smile:).

I dumped it down the toilet.

I have two other lilac *** which smell like lilac: Master Lilac Vegetol and Lustry Lilac. Both are excellent.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
I tried this stuff a few years ago and, like the previous poster, dumped it down the toilet. Smelled somewhat like Glade aerosol. Luckily, the experience did not turn me off to other Pinaud products, which I greatly enjoy.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I had bought a bottle of this stuff from Drug World just hours before I found the review here. I agree with others that in the bottle, it smells like... well, not what I expected. Rubbing it on my hands the smell improves. I'm still not sure if I'm going to try it on my face yet, perhaps some evening when I'm by myself and I can wash it off.

--
edit

I had a chance to try it on my skin. While the product smells unpleasant in the bottle, it greatly improves on the skin when it mixes with the skin chemisty. Scents can be like that.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I'll just add to the rest saying that this smelled so bad I had to immediately throw it out. Therefore, my 0 rating for scent is correct, but I scored a neutral 5 for everything else simply because I wouldn't let this skunk brew anywhere near my face. I truly don't understand how "lilac" and "vegetal" can go so wrong...
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
This stuff is absolutely horrible.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
First, I love Pinaud. I was very eager, when I bought this. But, it is terrible. Like mentioned before it smells eerily like urine. I am afraid a full review is not possible as I have never let this stuff touch my face. I am glad to read though other lilacs are not quite as offensive, I will give them a try.
Will not bother rating this one. Bought a bottle 12 years ago and my impression of it is still fresh in my mind. This is one of those products where you wonder who is really using it and how it has remained on the shelves for so long. Especially when there are some great products out there that we have to scramble thru the internet to find.
I took one sniff and gave it to our secretary for use as 'office mace' to spray over the cubicle of the gaseous one next to her. It smells like something a dog would roll in.

Wayne
Top Bottom