What's new

Personna DE Blades (USA)

I've been using the Personnas that come in the white plastic pack with 5 to the pack to the pack. I've been getting these from the .99 Only stores. At .99 cents plus tax it comes out to about .21 cents per blade. Cheap yes but not as cheap if you were to buy say Derby's in bulk. So I rated it 7 there. But for the rest of it, all 10's. I get pretty much get a BBS with 2 passes and maybe a touch-up with these blades. I get a weeks worth of shaves with each blade and no irritation. I had bought a sampler pack from LetterK a short while back and these are as good as any in the pack. The Personnas have worked far better than the Feathers, which gave me weepers and nicks all over. I've found them to be equal to both the Derby's and the Bic's. And while I will be ordering some Derby blades soon (buying bulk) I will keep these in my rotation. And I would recommend them to others.:001_smile
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I would use these blades if they were all that were available to me. That being said, they are not even in my top 10 of blade choices. I find them to be pretty uncomfortable. They cut all the hairs, but manage typically to give me many small nicks & weepers no matter which razor I use them in. Other blades don't treat me the same, so I assume it's the blade.
However, if the blade works for you then the price is awesome. $1.78/10 from my local grocery store. These blades are also widely available under different store labels which is a plus and they come in a great dispenser. I wish more blades came in this style dispenser - less packaging than individually wrapped blades and a very safe blade bank.
For the price, I think they are a good deal. I've found them to be about equal to the Merkurs in quality of shave and longevity. The price is the bargain feature of this blade. I can afford to replace them every 3 shaves and not feel guilty.:tongue_sm
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
If I ever want to torture someone, I know just the ticket.

These blades are cheap and locally available; that is one plus. However, these are possibly the worst blades I've ever used. I've tried to like these blades, but they leave my skin so patchy and irritated that it will **** me off for the rest of the day. They are not necessarily dull, but they are so rough that any sharpness is a moot point. They last about two shaves, as well. The only good thing that I can think of is the packaging.

Simply put, these blades don't cut the mustard...or anything else, really.

Thanks for the ingrowns, Personna!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
studman46;772437 said:
Have been using Personnas from Wallymart for 10 mos in all my Gillettes and Merkur Futur and 39c slant. Get consistant, smooth BBS shaves with no irritation and rarely a nick. Tried a Feather blade in my slant but found it no better than the Personnas. Have a fairly coarse, tough beard but Personnas mow it right down. Can't beat em for the price.

+1
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These blades will technically shave ones face with a very minor irritation with the exception of the neck. They performed good but not great in most of my double DE razors just a couple with smaller safety bar to razor blade distance worked best.
The family dollar (American safety made in USA) razor blades performed much better for my personal needs and on a variety of DE razors.
I used these blades quite a bit- too much, I'm afraid. I never found them to be sharp enough and they don't last particularly long, either
Have been using Personnas from Wallymart for 10 mos in all my Gillettes and Merkur Futur and 39c slant. Get consistant, smooth BBS shaves with no irritation and rarely a nick. Tried a Feather blade in my slant but found it no better than the Personnas. Have a fairly coarse, tough beard but Personnas mow it right down. Can't beat em for the price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
The personnas are cheap blades that provide decent shaves. I would highly recommend corking these blades to lower the chances of getting a rough shave. The packaging is top notch and did I mention they are cheap?

All in all, a good buy.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I picked these up from a local WalMart - the only blades I can find locally.

Price - cheap

Quality - I am not sure how to gauge "Quality" outside of the other categories listed here

Sharpness - very good for one multi-pass shave, but I've never gotten past that with these.

Longevity - I give these a "1" for one shave (not sure what I would do if they didn't make it through the first shave)

Smoothness of shave - again, very good for that one shave.

Packaging - the packaging is great for these, ten blades in a hard plastic case with a slot for used blades.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
After using both Crystals and Derbys in my '51 SS, I decided to give these a try. Good thing I had the styptic pencil ready, because I was an instant blood donor. I don't know if these are stupidly sharp and just really ragged. The shave was uncomfortable and seemed draggy. Anything on my face that was not dead smooth was fair game for removal. I got through the shave by backing off and forgoing the CTG stuff (leaving me uncommonly stubbly), took the blade out and pitched the package in the trash.

On the plus side, I wish everyone packaged their blades this way. If you have a TTO razor, you never come near an edge. Just slide them out of the dispenser with your thumb directly into the razor. The used blade safe on the back is very handy. Too bad the blades tear me up.

Considering price and availability here in the USA (WalMart has them - how much easier can it get? And well under $2 for 10 blades) they are definitely worth trying. Obviously there is a mixed audience for these blades, so (carefully) give them a shot.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
I've only been back in the game a few weeks, but it was the WalMart Personnas I saw on the shelf and the price that prompted me to see if I could find a DE razor, so I HAD to give them a fair shot. So I had to rate the price up there. I liked the packaging, especially the blade disposal in the back...but after that? It went down hill afterwards! I had better luck with my KaBar. At least my face wouldn't have been torn up so badly. I gave it a longevity of 1 because for one? I disposed of it after the one shave along with the rest of the blades. Unless it were the last blade out there or I was somewhere and I had forgotten to carry mine? I would definitely stay away as others on here have said.
These IMHO were great, and for 1.43 they are just great, You should be able to get a very,very descent save from these, and the price is great. I dont think these are designed to last long after 2-3 shaves then its garbage. Longitivity is not its strong point.I would buy these again if it were a last choice only.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
I'm not sure what it is, but now after trying these out again after a few years of being away from them they seem to just work really well now, which i'm glad they do because of the amount that i have. I'll really have to test the longevity better, but so far so good. With the convenience of getting these I really wanted to like them and after being away from them for so long I find that they aren't half bad, in fact I might secretly be falling in love with them.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I bought a pack of these at Wal-Mart to use until my letterk sampler pack arrives, and after a couple shaves with them, I have to say that I'm disappointed. A cartridge razor would give you a better shave than these do, and I find that these are skipping a lot across my skin and leaving me with many small nicks.

The price is right and the container is fantastic, but these should only be your last resort. If you're travelling somewhere, I'd consider buying a pack of these and tossing out the blades, but keeping the container to hold your good blades.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
shaved twice with this little blade of horrors, the price was below gillette and wilkinson here in spain, and i thought "wow, personna blades, the red pack parsonnas have been kind to me, i want more of them"

unfortunatly, the red packs are israely made, and the silver dispencer packs are US made, they left my face feeling bruised, with nicks and cuts, and looking horrible, i have a clean shave, but i dont feel or look like it, only when i pass my hand over the face, i know im clean shaven,

i attempted corking on these blades, no avail, they were a bit smoother, but still quite violent and hard to control, i wouldnt recommend these blades to anyone, there are worst blades out there, but theres also better, use those,

as for score summery

price ) cheaper then other blades sold here, but only a 6 becuase those blades also give a better shave,
quality ) the blades are trash, but the dispenser is good
sharpness ) they cut quite well, its the smoothness thats the problem
longevity ) 2 shaves and still sharp, gues they last,
smoothness on shave ) absolute trash, it skips and halts as if you were unlathered
packaging ) once again, the dispenser saves this score, the packaging could only be improved very little, i didnt give it a 10 becuase i didnt want it lifting the total score, i truly belive this blade is trash,
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Boy, I've had such a love/hate relationship with these razor blades. I usually use these with an old, old open comb brass Gillette. When I get a blade that's good, it gives me flawless, smooth shaves for an extremely cheap price. When I get a bad blade, the shave is ROUGH, and leaves me covered in razor burn and nicks, and I kick myself for buying cheap razor blades. If they ever fix their quality control and produce dependable razor blades like the good ones I get, I wouldn't buy any other brand. Using these blades with a slant yields good results no matter what.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Picked up a pack of these a few nights ago at Wal-Mart and have since shaved twice with them. Although I don't have much experience different blades (I have only tried Merkur and Derby) I think they are great. Give them a try you'll probably be surprised.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I have used these in my Merkur HD and my Fatboy. I get a fine shave from them in both, comparable to the Merkur blades. They don't seem to last quite as long, but for the price and convienence a good choice for me. As is so often said here, YMMV.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I have been using Merkur blades exclusively. I read the posts on here, and since some people loved them, and some hated them, I figured I would give them a try. While I though the Merkur's did not live up to my expectations, I found these to be even less so. While they have okay, I feel even more pulling than with the Merkur. And, the blades do not last as long. So, they win hands down in price, but not in much of anything else.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)