What's new

Parker 98R

Item Description

This is one of the heftiest razors in production. It is very solidly built and surprisingly comfortable to hold while shaving. Lighter razors are more manoeuvrable but the weight does help when shaving the more awkward areas.

The quality of the finish is okay, but nothing special. It is nickel plated and I fully expect that it will last a lifetime, but there are better looking finishes.

The price of the razor is reasonable enough but I bought my Muehle R89 for the same amount of money and it is a much better quality razor, so there are better value razors to be found for the price of the 98R.

When it comes to user-friendliness, there is a rather annoying feature of this razor: when inserting a blade, it is necessary to align the blade manually as the razor has not been designed and manufactured to the tolerance that one would expect. It is quite awkward but there is a certain knack to getting it right. As frustrating as this can be, it is worth persevering with the razor as the most important thing is how well it shaves. Fortunately, this is certainly the area where the 98R excels.

Although the razor can feel a bit cumbersome at first, it soon feels comfortable and easy to wield. I have given this razor a score of 10 for aggressiveness not because it is a super-aggressive razor but because it responds very well to the choice of blade you use. A smooth, less sharp blade makes the 98R a mild, forgiving razor whereas the sharpest blades will make the 98R give a much more aggressive shave. The 98R is therefore a very versatile piece of equipment and is capable of giving a shave as close as anything on the market.

As things stand, I would hesitate to recommend this razor based upon the problems with blade alignment. I don't regret buying mine but Parker's spotty record with quality control is certainly something to take into consideration and problems with alignment are not excusable. If you decide to purchase a Parker, make sure you buy one from a reputable seller who will be understanding about any possible returns.

It's a shame that Parker have such issues because if they improved their manufacturing and quality control, they could compete with the best.

Latest reviews

Pros: Nice weight and size for larger hands.
Cons: Quality a bit of an issue.
I bought this off ebay uk having read various reviews here and on other forums. The things that drew me in were the size, weight and claimed aggressiveness.

The one common warning was about the product quality, but for £20/$16 I thought it was worth the risk. I got in touch with the seller prior to buying and they assured me each razor was checked on arrival at the warehouse... apparently by a blind chimpanzee! The seller proved extremely unhelpful and disinterested post sale.

There's what looks like a blow hole in the side of the handle. Possibly an air pocket during the casting process. It's not pretty, but doesn't affect razor handling.

I use an EJ 89 and a Muhle R41. I was under the impression that the Parker aggression level was along the lines of the Muhle. It isn't. I would put it about midway between the EJ and the Muhle.

Although not as aggressive as I'd expected, it still gives a great shave. The handle length and overall weight is fantastic.

One of the best things is that if I use the Parker handle on my other 2 razors, it makes them even better!!

I use Astra platinum blades in my EJ and Personna in the Muhle. For me, the Parker works best on the Personna. The Astra was just too harsh.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I bought this razor yesterday from Pasteurs in NYC. I was infuriated by the fact that they didn't carry EJ's DE8, which I was hoping to find there. I took my 17 year old brother and asked him which he'd use. He immediately pointed to the large Parker 99R. I took one look and told him he was on drugs, and that I'd rather eat defecate and die than buy a TTO. He didn't understand this and moves immediately to his left and goes, hey, this is the same thing. It was love at first sight :001_tt1:.

This morning I loaded my brand new acquisition with a Derby vertical blade. I proceeded to whip up a lather with arko. I put a very underwhelming amount of lather on my face and proceeded to shave, and it PLOWED right through three days of my very serious beard growth. This razor weighs a lot, certainly more than 3.2 OZ as advertised. I had a great first pass, and even better second pass. Third pass, I cut every single goddamned follicle and pore in my face and neck.

While this razor is not as aggressive as my six dollar poorly made copy of a weishi (the blade sticks straight out and is meant to de-meat animal hides, not shave a face) the weight of this razor and the blade you pair it with are critical. It's as aggressive as R. Lee Ermey after watching north korean mass games.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
This is one of the heftiest razors in production. It is very solidly built and surprisingly comfortable to hold while shaving. Lighter razors are more manoeuvrable but the weight does help when shaving the more awkward areas.

The quality of the finish is okay, but nothing special. It is nickel plated and I fully expect that it will last a lifetime, but there are better looking finishes.

The price of the razor is reasonable enough but I bought my Muehle R89 for the same amount of money and it is a much better quality razor, so there are better value razors to be found for the price of the 98R.

When it comes to user-friendliness, there is a rather annoying feature of this razor: when inserting a blade, it is necessary to align the blade manually as the razor has not been designed and manufactured to the tolerance that one would expect. It is quite awkward but there is a certain knack to getting it right. As frustrating as this can be, it is worth persevering with the razor as the most important thing is how well it shaves. Fortunately, this is certainly the area where the 98R excels.

Although the razor can feel a bit cumbersome at first, it soon feels comfortable and easy to wield. I have given this razor a score of 10 for aggressiveness not because it is a super-aggressive razor but because it responds very well to the choice of blade you use. A smooth, less sharp blade makes the 98R a mild, forgiving razor whereas the sharpest blades will make the 98R give a much more aggressive shave. The 98R is therefore a very versatile piece of equipment and is capable of giving a shave as close as anything on the market.

As things stand, I would hesitate to recommend this razor based upon the problems with blade alignment. I don't regret buying mine but Parker's spotty record with quality control is certainly something to take into consideration and problems with alignment are not excusable. If you decide to purchase a Parker, make sure you buy one from a reputable seller who will be understanding about any possible returns.

It's a shame that Parker have such issues because if they improved their manufacturing and quality control, they could compete with the best.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)