What's new

Palmolive Classic (European version) shaving cream

Pros: Cheap, Slick, Easy to lather.
Cons: None I can think of.
I absolutely love this cream. At least where I live (England) it can be picked up for £1.50 for a 100ml tube, and it requires just as little to lather that as any more expensive creams. The shave is definitely on par with the higher end creams I have tried and in some cases it beats them. A small amount of this and you will have the makings of a good lather, but add a little water and it explodes into copious amounts of foam.

As for the shave itself, this cream provides great protection, and I have never had any issues such as irritation when using it, and considering that some high end creams (such as TOBS) sometimes don't protect me as well as this, I would say that makes it a winner. The only real edge that other creams may have is scenting, since this one seems to have a light soapy smell. It is not a fabulous smell, but it is nice and clean.

Honestly considering the price I cannot recommend this product enough, especially when you consider that (at least where I live) you could get ten tubes of this versus one tub of certain higher end creams, and this one will still make for a great shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Palmolive Refreshing Lemon Shave Cream
Cons: None
This Refreshing Lemon shave cream has a very nice scent, not too strong. I t lathers and mosturizes great like all the Palmolive creams.

At a very reasonable price you get a thick, long lasting lather which easily lasts for three passes with my Merkur 34C Razor.

I really have nothing bad to add about this cream.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Moisture,creamy lather,prize
Cons: soapy smell
It is really cheap so I would recommend it for newbies to learn how to lather. Keeps good in the scuttle,doesn´t dry up. Even on the skin keeps fine but the smell is really like shower or hand soap.Also the aluminium tube if it falls gets those dents that makes it a bit more difficult to squeeze in an "orderly manner". I like it,but nothing to write home about.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
As we all know, Palmolive is known throughout the world. The US version is one of the biggest sellers over there, and there are several kinds of Palmolive cream from Europe, one of them being the Classic scent with palm oil which is sort of similar to the US kind, except that the scent is definitely nicer, and the lather is just as rich and creamy, and the moisturizing is equally as excellent. Pricewise, while not as cheap as the US kind, it's still quite reasonable.

Jeff
A good budget cream, with the classic Palmolive scent. Closer to the "old" original Palmolive than the US version. The European cream (Made in Belgium) still contains Palm oil, as the original formulation did all those many years ago. The US cream has no palm oil.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Awesome shave cream without bad chemicals or preservatives. This stuff lathers like a dream and has a wonderful scent to boot. Gives a nice clean shave and is definitely protective against razor burn.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pretty good value for the money, but I don't think it's as good as Speick or Florena. I had a little trouble getting a good lather and it wasn't quite as smooth as the German creams. I'll still keep it in my rotation, but I was expecting a little bit more. At least it smells better than the US version.

Larry
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pretty decent stuff. For me readily available in every supermarket and/or drugstore.

Only thing I'm not impressed by is the moisterizing factor in this cream. But from a purely shaveable standpoint you can't really beat it except with Kruidvat shave cream (which is even cheaper and has a nicer scent).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This takes a bit more effort to lather up than say Trumpers, but at a mere £1.37 for a tube, who can complain. Certainly a no-frills cream but produces excellent results. The frangrance is kept to a minimum and it's a perfect cream for those days when you just want to shave efficiently and get on with something else.

Ridiculous for the price. Recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I enjoy this cream a lot. I think the scent is very nice. It lathers very well. I bought four tubes from an online shop in The Netherlands. They haven't an English translator, but if your Dutch is adequate you can get by.
http://drogisterij.net/
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Since I started using traditional creams and soaps I have used only expensive, high-end creams like Trumpers, Taylors, DR Harris. I tried Ingram shave cream which had a wonderful menthol kick but I did not find it to lather as well as the more expensive creams.

Anyway, I was in my local ASDA supermarket and noticed Palmolive shaving cream for £1.59 and shave stick for 59p so I bought them both, having low expectation. I have never enjoyed any of the other Palmolive products before but bought it out of curiosity.

What a surprise I got the first time I lathered the cream and got copious amounts of thick, creamy lather. I needed so much less cream than my Trumpers/Taylors to get enough for 4 passes and the cream is very cushioning and lubricating.

The only downside for me was that the scent was weak and 'soapy'. However, I now add 2 drops of lavender oil to my mix and get a wonderfully fragrant and pleasing shave, plus the lavender oil has many skin benefits. It is now my favourite cream and I prefer it even to Trumpers rose which was my previous favourite.

Perhaps someone should suggest to Palmolive to release different fragrances and they will be on to a sure winner.

The shaving stick has a completely different smell, quite unpleasant. It lathers up quite well but I dont see myself using it frequently.
A great cream that can be bought in practically every store here in Sweden. You could say it's the official shaving cream here. Practically no other brands are sold.

For the moment as i've also got Proraso to compare with. Proraso is the clear winner by a longshot but Palmolive is a cream i continue to return to.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I'm usually a soap user but picked up 3 of these at Tesco for 75p each on a half price offer earlier this year. A great bargain and sometimes nice as an alternative to my more exotic collection of soaps. The scent is clean and pleasant and they lather just fine without the gloopy residue the more upmarket creams leave behind.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This was my first shaving cream, and I had a love hate relationship with it.
First, and mostly, there was the scent. Of course YMMV, but for me it pushed me to feel like I am going to throw up. It is not an unpleasant smell, it is not a natural smell neither, not something you would smell hiking on a mountain or even zig zagging between cars, but it is acceptable (if it weren't for that throw up stuff, imagine doing that with the razor on your face).
This one lathers like a charm. However, the lather is not as lubricating as ARKO, but still very VERY protective and enjoyable.
As most people that had this, I mistaken it for my toothpaste tube, and you all know the rest. The funniest thing is that every person that knows this cream and that I tell that story to says that it either happened to them or to someone close to them.
If I was going to be left on a deserted Island, I would think of this cream for a second as the most appropriate cream for the setting, and then go back to reality and pick up a tub of CF Lime.
All in all a great choice if you are on a budget and you have no access to ARKO.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This stuff is just fine, works a treat, and costs pence, so what's to complain about?

Well, the fragrance isn't anything great, just a synthetic "clean" scent, citrus and musk mostly. My wife says it smells manly, but my taste is for woody, spicey scents rather than the "fresh" ones. However, it's not unpleasant and not too strong, and you could use whatever aftershave you wanted afterwards.

A blob of it in the palm of your hand lathers up into a rich, smooth, slick lather, very creamy, and it does not dry out while you strop your razor. Softens the stubble like the best of them, in fact I can't really see a lot of difference in efficacy between this and the Trumpers creams, although maybe I use a little more of this per shave. Lubrication is ideal, and it seems to moisturise as well as anything else I've found. Interestingly the green colouring in it (the lather is white) seems to colour the water in the sink a faint bluish colour after you rinse your face off, which I never noticed with the shave stick version.

Perfectly acceptable, though it does not bring that bit of luxury to a shave that the classier scented creams do. However I notice myself taking more notice of what I am doing as I shave, and enjoying that rather than breathing in the heady fragrance. Maybe it would make a good cream to reccomend to someone first learning to use a straight razor for this reason. Also ideal for travelling, but don't confuse it with your toothpaste!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I picked some up on my recent trip to London and have used it probably seven times, each time it grows on me a little more. If I'm looking for a good clean shave that's similar to a soap then I grab for this in the morning. The blade gets right down to work with this and find that it leaves my face feeling very smooth with little effort.

Smells like Irish Spring, nice bright green look to it as well.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
There's something about creams that contain Palm Oil in them that seem to give an the most comfortable and close shaves.

This cream does the trick and has proven itself as a winner. Nicely scented, not overpowering.

Nice cushion and slickness without being sloppy.

The price is right for the quality.

Enjoy it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I find I have to use more than with high end creams for the same amount of lather but it's cheap and the lather is good. The packaging is a squeeze tube inside a cardboard box, basic but adequate. The scent is difficult to describe because it's almost scentless, the "chemical" smell that some have complained about is (as far as I can tell) simply the smell of the ingredients - just soapy, certainly not objectionable. In fact I like that it has very little scent and won't interfere with aftershave, etc. Does the job very well, good shave and good value for money.
This Palmolive is excellent!
Smell is soapy, but it's very pleasant.
It lathers like hell...One of best creams I've ever tried!
And it also has best price!

Rating A+
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I buy this cream in Sweden for less than $4, so its very cheap.
Still it last since it is very concentrated. The smell is very nice, for me it reminds me of the sea, its fresh.
It leathers quickly and does the job.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability