What's new

Palmolive Classic (European version) shaving cream

Pros: Cheap, Slick, Easy to lather.
Cons: None I can think of.
I absolutely love this cream. At least where I live (England) it can be picked up for £1.50 for a 100ml tube, and it requires just as little to lather that as any more expensive creams. The shave is definitely on par with the higher end creams I have tried and in some cases it beats them. A small amount of this and you will have the makings of a good lather, but add a little water and it explodes into copious amounts of foam.

As for the shave itself, this cream provides great protection, and I have never had any issues such as irritation when using it, and considering that some high end creams (such as TOBS) sometimes don't protect me as well as this, I would say that makes it a winner. The only real edge that other creams may have is scenting, since this one seems to have a light soapy smell. It is not a fabulous smell, but it is nice and clean.

Honestly considering the price I cannot recommend this product enough, especially when you consider that (at least where I live) you could get ten tubes of this versus one tub of certain higher end creams, and this one will still make for a great shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Palmolive Refreshing Lemon Shave Cream
Cons: None
This Refreshing Lemon shave cream has a very nice scent, not too strong. I t lathers and mosturizes great like all the Palmolive creams.

At a very reasonable price you get a thick, long lasting lather which easily lasts for three passes with my Merkur 34C Razor.

I really have nothing bad to add about this cream.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Moisture,creamy lather,prize
Cons: soapy smell
It is really cheap so I would recommend it for newbies to learn how to lather. Keeps good in the scuttle,doesn´t dry up. Even on the skin keeps fine but the smell is really like shower or hand soap.Also the aluminium tube if it falls gets those dents that makes it a bit more difficult to squeeze in an "orderly manner". I like it,but nothing to write home about.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I found this cream to be average at best. The scent is amongst the worst I've come across in the shaving world. It is a totally artificial, chemical citrusy scent that smells like a bathroom you'd find in a factory or something. Not (utterly) nauseating, but nothing you'd crave for sure.

As far as the shave goes it was easy enough to lather, but I found that it tended to dry fairly quickly on my face. I also didn't feel that there was a lot of slickness to it. I got some skipping as well which I didn't enjoy. Overall I feel that this is a typical low end cream that can run you a bit of cash if you get it shipped long distance. I've used it several times without great success and I'm guessing there might be a trick to it I haven't discovered yet to increase it's usefulness. Still though, there's that scent...ugh.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
The Palmolive Classic shave cream is awesome. An almond size dollop in a bowl, a little water and you've got a thick, rich lather that lubricates your face greatly and allows the blade to glide with no issues.

I'm mostly leaving this note for future review readers that the USA version is no longer made so if you want some of this excellent cream, you'll need to find it on Ebay or a US based online retailer that imports it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is one of my very favorite shave creams. I rotate between five different shave creams, and this one is tied for first with Proraso, followed by Musgo Real, Speick, and Gillette European. I could use this everyday! :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Palmolive Cream: One of my Shavemac D01's favorite things to eat for breakfast.

Good Stuff. This cream could easily be repackaged as a luxury brand and sold at 4 times the price. I can imagine it winning in a blind 'taste-test' against luxury brands.

Hydrating: This is where Palmolive really shines. It stays wet enough throughout a shave to keep whiskers wet, warm and soft, but after the shave is where i notice the difference. It's as if this cream doesn't pull as much of your own natural oil out of your skin. It leaves me hydrated and healthy with that Cary Grant sheen on my jaw line. I end up using less ASB after the shave.

Fragrance: I'm extremely selective with fragrance and i really enjoy this one. It's clean, soapy and masculine.

Cushioning: I am loyal to Tallow soaps in general or Shea Butter soaps, which I feel take the cake in this department, but Palmolive delivers.

Paraben free: Since Shaving Creams are products containing moisture as compared to a dry puck of soap, they often require a preservative such as Paraben to be added. Paraben irritates the hell out of my skin (preventing me from enjoying any of the TOBS creams) Palmolive doesn't have any.

One of the best values in shaving in my opinion.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I payed 99p for this product which is 10 times cheaper than Edwin Jagger per 100ml. I have used alot of the expensive American and English products such Edwin Jagger, Trumpers and AoS and this Palmolive performs BETTER than them. The ingredients in this product are like that of AoS and Trumpers only without the parabens which is present in Trumper's formula. However the quantities of the ingredients differ in the palmolive; there is more glycerin in Palmolive than the others! Its because of this that I believe it produces the best most creamy lather. The packaging is simple and old fashioned which I like. The scent scores 8 because although its lovely and fresh it is boosted slightly by the addition of parfum.

All in all although I'm a regular soap user, this creme is the best cream to use when you don't fancy using your soap. And I say that with ignorance towards the price and any stigma which may be attatched as it's not English.

Thank you very much

Ryan. :biggrin1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I have tried a lot of shave products and many bother my skin with the strong scents. I picked up a few Palmolive sticks and in my opinion the stick is one of the best deals in shaving, and mildly scented to not bother my face - so I thought I'd try the cream.

I ordered from Westons UK and shipping to Canada was about 10 days.

I lathered up this am with an almond size dollop in a finest badger and was very impressed with the quality and quantity of the lather.

The shave was good - no up to the tallow soap good, but still a good shave. Scent was good - it does last a bit but that's OK as it smells clean - like a fresh-shaved gentleman should :001_smile.

It compares well to JM Fraser's or maybe Real Shaving Co. creams.

A keeper.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Saw this in the supermarket, so picked one up. Only 1,69 or usd 2,50 for 100 ml. It works real well for me. Good and thick lather, razor slides well and shaves close, nice clean feeling afterwards. Like the scent, and the fact it is not too strong and not lasting. Glad I found it, for me this can replace the Godrej Cream.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This is a very good shaving cream that lathers easily and has a light,fresh fragrance that disperses quickly.Your paying for the product here rather than the name,such as Trumper,Floris etc.Chemically,all shaving creams contain much the same ingredients,and suffer from containing sodium and potassium hydroxide.These are very caustic chemicals used in oven cleaners,and can cause razor burn in some people.The shave stick is a better option,as it doesn't have the caustic ingredients,and contains Tallow.This lathers just as well in a bowl,but doesn't leave the slight stinging sensation as the cream.Both are dirt cheap in the UK and are on my regular rota.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
This cream has a lot going for it, but it has a fatal flaw.

First, the good points. It is dirt cheap. 100ml for only 2 euros- approximately one tenth the price of Plisson cream! It is loaded with palm oil, which may not be good for your arteries but it sure does lubricate your face. The lather works up quickly, and is dense with a sort of smooth oily sheen. What’s more , it supports being heated up in a Moss scuttle a lot better than the fluffy English creams, which tend to collapse. The resulting shave is outstanding, so why did the tube end up in the garbage can after a single use? Why couldn’t I even palm it off on my wife? Folks – this stuff reeks! And it keeps on reeking long after you rinse it off. How can I describe the offensive odour? “Young Republican commuters in the mist?”, “Prom night in Moscow, 1956?” No – that’s not it. How about that horrible stench that pervades the cosmetics department at Macy’s – the one you have to punch through on your way to buying a 3-pack of Jockey shorts. How would you like to smell that way all morning? Forget it.
Not a favourite, in fact it's one I would never use again, hate the stuff, I may turn to it if I have nothing else, but really not one I'd willingly use, even monthly. Consistency of toothpaste..... except toothpaste breaks up when it hits water, truly naff stuff, Maybe I hit a bad batch?

Tom
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
This tube-packaged soap produces an excellent lather which will allow you to make multiple passes on one bowl, making for an ultra-close shave. Moreover, the price makes this soap especially enticing and a must-have addition to any shave-set. Brilliant for every day, a great moisturiser and a clinical scent which leaves the bathroom smelling attractively sanitary. This is the very best high-street economy soap available.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Great cream and i can get this for £1, love the smell, lathers superb, gives a great shave and a lovely finish to your skin, always in my cabinet and 1 of the best i have tried.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I love this cream.
It's about only readily available shave cream in Ireland,most supermarkets and chemist shops have it.Price varies widely from around €1.55 in large supermarkets to over €3 in pharmacies.

A toothbrush sized amount makes tons of lather and might just take a little more swirling than some more exotic creams, but the lather provides plenty of lube/cushion.

I find the scent,such as it is,neutral and inoffensive.

Moisturises OK,but wouldn't be in the MWF category, although I have noticed once or twice when I used too much that it did seem to dry or slightly irritate my face,so don't go too heavy with the amount.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I picked up a tube of this when I was in Germany a few weeks ago and tried it this morning:Cost was about 1euro

an almond size squirt exploded into tons of thick creamy lather using my Shavemac Silvertip. Awesome.
The scent was there but not overwhelming
Excellent lubrication. The Israeli Personna glided over the beard and just made for a very very comfortable shave.

A wonderful cream at no money
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Great!!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Price: Great price.

Quality: I don't really like this cream...

Scent: The scent seems more like dish soap to me than shaving soap, and smells too synthetically clean (kind of like a household cleaning product).

Latherability: Slick lather that provides little cushion.

Efficacy: Not great...

Moisturizing Properties: Probably the high point of this product at a 7...
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This has got to be the best value cream ever. In Europe, you get it everywhere at bargain prices, the availability can't be beaten and the performance is at least as good as that of shaving creams that cost A LOT more. Personally, I really like the clean, soapy smell, but that's a matter of taste. It leaves my skin feeling drier than some other creams, but otherwise: a great shaving cream!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)