What's new

Moss Scuttle

I got a small Moss scuttle in 2009 and I love it! I keep reading that this scuttle is not made for bowl lathering, but I do it. I just use a swirling, churning motion and I have no problem whipping up lather from soaps or creams. The Moss scuttle is a durable workhorse!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Indulgence
Cons: Indulgence
I have been shaving for a very long time without a scuttle. I am sure that I could continue to shave for a very long time without a scuttle. That said, the Moss Scuttle is a pleasant enhancement to the ritual. Sara provides excellent service. And it makes even those of us living in Paradise feel warm and fuzzy in the morning.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
What an absolute gem of a shaving accessory this is. I put my Savile 3824 and the Moss Scuttle in the sink, let it all fill up with very hot tap water while I took my shower.

Emptied it and filled it back up with hot water again. Began to build lather on my face, (which I really like doing) and put the lather filled brush in the top of the scuttle and made my first pass.

I couldn't believe how warm the brush and lather stayed when I lathered up for the second pass. My dad use to have one of those Schick Hot Lather machines and my lather was warmer than what use to come out of it, it felt great!

I dinged the Scuttle on price just a little, because for some it would be hard to justify the cost since you can get a 6" soup mug for under $10, but this scuttle might be worth the money to you because not only will you have hotter lather at your disposal, but because the scuttle doesn't have to stand in the sink filled with hot water, it saves some space while shaving too!

It's very solid, Sara didn't skip on material used, seems durable but I wouldn't test the handle too much, it's the weakest point of the scuttle, but very solid also.

I think it would be a little pain if you build lather in a mug and have to transfer it into the scuttle, not sure of how many would like having to do that because the top of the scuttle is large enough to freshen up the brush, but it wouldn't provide me with a deep enough bowl to whip up great lather, YMMV.

It's perfect if your building the lather on your face, did I say it really keeps your brush and lather nice and warm?:smile:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I have the small scuttle, and it gets used absolutely every morning. Used as described above, keeps the lather warm for at least four passes.

The scuttle is exceptionally well made, a little art to anchor your morning ritual. If you take the plunge, you won't be disappointed.

-- Brian
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Dr. Moss worked with Sarah to develop this jewel, and I love it. When used as originally designed, it has totally improved the quality of my shaves.

The scuttle is not designed to be a bowl in which you generate your lather. True, many folks do this, but the intent of the design is to give you a place to park your brush while performing the actual shave. It is designed to keep both your brush and lather warm/hot. I have the large scuttle, and it does a perfect job. I don't use it much during the summer when the outside temp is hot, but using it during the winter...what a great piece of equipment. The only complaint I have is that I a fear of dropping it and having it shatter.

I use and enjoy my Moss Scuttle. Their are less expensive ways to accomplish this goal we have of hot lather, but I don't believe that any accomplish it with the class or quality of this piece.

Randy
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Have been using my new Moss Scuttle for over a week, and I love it! I bought the larger version. At first I was whipping up my later in it, but when I did the lather was climbing al the way up the handle of my brush, so I switched to whipping up the lather in a bowl and scooping it into the scuttle. Much better system, though the lather doesn't get quite as hot. Still nice and warm, though.

This is the real thing - real hot lather real easy. Especially nice on cold Michigan mornings. Highly recommended.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I have the large scuttle. I use it everyday to first soak my brush and to whip up the soap/cream suds in. It does a great job, keeps it warm to apply, and keeps it warm to use. The larger scuttle allows the build up of froth. It can get messy with a larger brush but it works great. I have 8 different brushes and it is only messy with the 32mm kent monster.
It is expensive.
Headdoc
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I have the large one, and use it every day. I build lather in the scuttle, and that works fine for me; keeps the lather nice and warm for as long as you need it. It is a luxury item, handmade and therefore expensive. I could do without it, but I wouldn't want to.

Norm
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I echo all of the positive comments in the reviews preceding mine. I just received my Moss scuttle yesterday. I selected the small because I use smaller size brushes and after using the Moss twice I know that I made the right choice. I rate this item on the high side . I think it is beautifully made and a quite functional design. The lower rating for durability is based on the nature of ceramics and not on the workmanship. I should think it will last forever ........ as long as you don't drop it. A classy way to keep the brush/lather warm between passes. My highest recommendation.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I've been using the large moss scuttle for a couple of weeks, and I'm a big fan. It really keep a brush and lather nice and warm. Of all the accessories that I have purchased, this one gives the best bang for the buck.
I agree - this thing is pure luxury, and works wonderfully. I got the larger size, and it's exactly as stated. I actually bought an electric kettle to boil water, and this baby stays incredibly hot throughout my shave. I can't ding it on price...if
you realize the amount of work and time that Sara puts into every scuttle, it's understandable to me. These aren't mass-produced in a factory, after all. I love
mine. Everyone should own one, I think. I liked mine so much that I commission- ed Sara to make me a large salad bowl. It's just as substantial, and beautifully made. The lady is really, really good.
Essential. Don't shave without it!

proxy.php

Toodlepip,

Hobbes
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
This product is a no brainer. The only gripe I have with mine is that I don't think I got one of the best examples. I understand it is hand made, but mine has a crooked handle and the part on one side of the spout does not come in contact all the way with the bottom, bowl portion all the way which allows water to leak out from the bottom if I tilt it too much. Kind of minor, but for what I paid I expected a little more attention to detail. These issues don't hamper performance a great deal, but it does bug me when I look at it. I suppose I couldve sent it back, but that just wouldve added more expense to it. No problems with chipping or cracks, but I haven't dropped it and I try to be pretty careful with it. The quality issues would make me think twice about buying another one should something happen to mine.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Since I started face-lathering, I have used this scuttle every day. Occasionally I will bowl-lather, and for that I use my Georgetown scuttle.

I have the small model, and it is the perfect size for a medium-sized brush (like the EJ/C&E BBB). It would probably be too small for a much larger brush.

As others have noted, the entire point of this thing is to keep your loaded brush warm during the shave--NOT to make lather in (that's why it works so well for face-lathering). For this purpose, it's important that the brush/lather fills up the entire bowl. If there's too much air space, heat from the scuttle is lost to the surrounding air instead of being used to heat the brush.

Even though it's the small scuttle, it's quite hefty. I gave lower scores on:
1) the price (because of the high shipping costs).
2) the durability (because I think the handle should be thicker--it feels like it might break off).

If you're a fan of face-lathering, you should pick up one of these!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
For my complete review of the Bonneyman "Moss" and how it stacks up against three competitors, check out my Scuttle Shootout Review
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I bought my Bonneyman-Moss Scuttle direct from Sara's workshop in Tatamagouche, as I was driving through Nova Scotia. It is expensive, but it is certainly worth every cent. It is a great product, with a classic style and a 'rustic' appeal that you know has not been repeated in quite the same way, due to the hand-making process.

Filling the scuttle with boiling water from the kettle, letting it sit whilst showering, then refilling with hot tap water, kept the lather toasty warm for 20 minutes and did not dry it out unduly. I use a small brush and mix the lather in the scuttle using cream and have absolutely no complaints about the quality of the lather produced. Proraso cream and a new Feather in my J3 Slim Adjustable and I'm in heaven...

Yes, there are cheaper ways of keeping your lather warm - but none are so stylish.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I purchased the Moss Scuttle about three years ago. It is a staple in my shaving routine. I use the scuttle, mine being the larger version, primarily as a receptacle to plece the brush for lather warmth. I no longer am concerned about maintaining the warmth of the lather, no matter how many passes are utilized.

Previous to using the scuttle I found that, after the initial lathering, the lather loss some of its essence by having become colder and less vital. The scuttle maintains that initial essence, how it was constituted when first coming into contact with my skin.

Price was a factor when I considered purchasing the Moss Scuttle, as I was about to retire and questioned the expenditure as a luxury that shouldn't be justified anticipating a reduced income. However, I knew that retirement would hopefully mean more time to enjoy the shaving ritual. I don't recall the price of the Scuttle, but, I now view it as an object of art that serves to greatly enhance the quality of my shaves.

Good shaving,

John
I was given this as a Christmas gift. I love it. The complaint is that if you get the water too hot you destroy the lather inside the bowel and it turns to liquid. However, it is very warm liquid. This bother me. It is a bit of a catch 22. If you use water that isn't boiling you get a less warm cream for less time. If you let the lather warm, liquefy, and cool you get your lather back and it's warm enough. I prefer this. Perhaps I am still learning. I keep a plastic tea kettle hidden in my bathroom and I whip it out and heat my towel and my scuttle. That's my tip. The only other complaint is that I wish the outer bowl where you lather had some sort of textured surface. I think you could get a better lather with some minor resistance.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I have just had one delivered to me all the way down in Australia, it works as advertised and very happy with it, my only gripe is the base of it is a little rough, and it has lightly scratched a few surface tops where I have put it down initially without a hand towel underneath it, how can i smooth it down, i only have rudimentary tools at my disposal, sanding block and sandpaper etc, possibly some power sanders as well ?, what do you think ?
Top Bottom