What's new

Moss Scuttle

Pros: Indulgence
Cons: Indulgence
I have been shaving for a very long time without a scuttle. I am sure that I could continue to shave for a very long time without a scuttle. That said, the Moss Scuttle is a pleasant enhancement to the ritual. Sara provides excellent service. And it makes even those of us living in Paradise feel warm and fuzzy in the morning.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I got a small Moss scuttle in 2009 and I love it! I keep reading that this scuttle is not made for bowl lathering, but I do it. I just use a swirling, churning motion and I have no problem whipping up lather from soaps or creams. The Moss scuttle is a durable workhorse!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Received a Small Moss Scuttle off of the BST...

Great performance from a very attractive little scuttle. I am tempted to get a large one to match as well (y'know, to have the complete set).

Fits my 24mm TGN Silvertip knot perfectly, and naturally fits my smaller brushes as well.

It is expensive due to shipping from Nova Scotia, but considering it should last a long time it is worth it in my opinion.

The quality is top-notch, hand-turned, very solid, and attractive finish.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I'll add my critique before it gets buried in the General Shaving Discussion thread. It rates a perfect score from me because it does everything it is supposed to do.

Moss Large Scuttle
I both used and tested the Becker (Robert's Ceramic Feats of Clay) Small scuttle; Georgetown Pottery G5 scuttle; Moss Large scuttle; Schwarzweisskeramik Small scuttle; Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle.

They all work well, and the final decision should be a matter of personal taste. I heated 3 cups of water in my microwave oven for 4 minutes for a temperature of 165 degrees F. The water is then poured into the scuttle to test heat retention.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Fast Facts:

* Purchase Price: $65.00 (for this special "waterfall" pattern, other large Moss scuttles are $55.00)
* Purchased from: Sara Bonnyman Pottery
* Special features:
* Reservoir capacity: 11 3/4 ounces
* Primary strength:
* Primary weakness:

Heat retention (165-degree water initially introduced into scuttle):

* After 5 minutes: 144 degrees F
* After 10 minutes: 135 degrees F
* After 15 minutes: 135 degrees F
* After 20 minutes: 130 degrees F
* After 25 minutes: 128 degrees F

Dimensions of scuttle:

* Height: 3 1/2"
* Base width: 3 7/16"
* Width on top: 4 1/2" (5" with spout)
* Inside diameter of lathering area: 3"
* Depth of lathering area: 2 1/2"
* Texture of lathering surface: none, other than the fact that the surface is somewhat rougher.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
headdoc;307603 said:
I have the large scuttle. I use it everyday to first soak my brush and to whip up the soap/cream suds in. It does a great job, keeps it warm to apply, and keeps it warm to use. The larger scuttle allows the build up of froth. It can get messy with a larger brush but it works great. I have 8 different brushes and it is only messy with the 32mm kent monster.
It is expensive.
Headdoc

(I realize this is a late reply, my apologies.)

Headdoc, could you explain what you mean by "messy"? I have a Kent BK12 on order and would love to get one of the large Moss Scuttles to warm the lather, but am concerned if it will even fit as it's a massive brush.

P.S.
Hi to all the B&B folk, I'm new to the forums but an avid wetshaver.
She is a very nice person to deal with. I am pretty sure If you ask her for a replacement she will pay for the shipping to send you a new one and even pay the shipping to send yours back. She may even let you keep the crooked one.
I have just had one delivered to me all the way down in Australia, it works as advertised and very happy with it, my only gripe is the base of it is a little rough, and it has lightly scratched a few surface tops where I have put it down initially without a hand towel underneath it, how can i smooth it down, i only have rudimentary tools at my disposal, sanding block and sandpaper etc, possibly some power sanders as well ?, what do you think ?
I was given this as a Christmas gift. I love it. The complaint is that if you get the water too hot you destroy the lather inside the bowel and it turns to liquid. However, it is very warm liquid. This bother me. It is a bit of a catch 22. If you use water that isn't boiling you get a less warm cream for less time. If you let the lather warm, liquefy, and cool you get your lather back and it's warm enough. I prefer this. Perhaps I am still learning. I keep a plastic tea kettle hidden in my bathroom and I whip it out and heat my towel and my scuttle. That's my tip. The only other complaint is that I wish the outer bowl where you lather had some sort of textured surface. I think you could get a better lather with some minor resistance.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I purchased the Moss Scuttle about three years ago. It is a staple in my shaving routine. I use the scuttle, mine being the larger version, primarily as a receptacle to plece the brush for lather warmth. I no longer am concerned about maintaining the warmth of the lather, no matter how many passes are utilized.

Previous to using the scuttle I found that, after the initial lathering, the lather loss some of its essence by having become colder and less vital. The scuttle maintains that initial essence, how it was constituted when first coming into contact with my skin.

Price was a factor when I considered purchasing the Moss Scuttle, as I was about to retire and questioned the expenditure as a luxury that shouldn't be justified anticipating a reduced income. However, I knew that retirement would hopefully mean more time to enjoy the shaving ritual. I don't recall the price of the Scuttle, but, I now view it as an object of art that serves to greatly enhance the quality of my shaves.

Good shaving,

John
I bought my Bonneyman-Moss Scuttle direct from Sara's workshop in Tatamagouche, as I was driving through Nova Scotia. It is expensive, but it is certainly worth every cent. It is a great product, with a classic style and a 'rustic' appeal that you know has not been repeated in quite the same way, due to the hand-making process.

Filling the scuttle with boiling water from the kettle, letting it sit whilst showering, then refilling with hot tap water, kept the lather toasty warm for 20 minutes and did not dry it out unduly. I use a small brush and mix the lather in the scuttle using cream and have absolutely no complaints about the quality of the lather produced. Proraso cream and a new Feather in my J3 Slim Adjustable and I'm in heaven...

Yes, there are cheaper ways of keeping your lather warm - but none are so stylish.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
For my complete review of the Bonneyman "Moss" and how it stacks up against three competitors, check out my Scuttle Shootout Review
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Since I started face-lathering, I have used this scuttle every day. Occasionally I will bowl-lather, and for that I use my Georgetown scuttle.

I have the small model, and it is the perfect size for a medium-sized brush (like the EJ/C&E BBB). It would probably be too small for a much larger brush.

As others have noted, the entire point of this thing is to keep your loaded brush warm during the shave--NOT to make lather in (that's why it works so well for face-lathering). For this purpose, it's important that the brush/lather fills up the entire bowl. If there's too much air space, heat from the scuttle is lost to the surrounding air instead of being used to heat the brush.

Even though it's the small scuttle, it's quite hefty. I gave lower scores on:
1) the price (because of the high shipping costs).
2) the durability (because I think the handle should be thicker--it feels like it might break off).

If you're a fan of face-lathering, you should pick up one of these!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
This product is a no brainer. The only gripe I have with mine is that I don't think I got one of the best examples. I understand it is hand made, but mine has a crooked handle and the part on one side of the spout does not come in contact all the way with the bottom, bowl portion all the way which allows water to leak out from the bottom if I tilt it too much. Kind of minor, but for what I paid I expected a little more attention to detail. These issues don't hamper performance a great deal, but it does bug me when I look at it. I suppose I couldve sent it back, but that just wouldve added more expense to it. No problems with chipping or cracks, but I haven't dropped it and I try to be pretty careful with it. The quality issues would make me think twice about buying another one should something happen to mine.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Essential. Don't shave without it!

proxy.php

Toodlepip,

Hobbes
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I agree - this thing is pure luxury, and works wonderfully. I got the larger size, and it's exactly as stated. I actually bought an electric kettle to boil water, and this baby stays incredibly hot throughout my shave. I can't ding it on price...if
you realize the amount of work and time that Sara puts into every scuttle, it's understandable to me. These aren't mass-produced in a factory, after all. I love
mine. Everyone should own one, I think. I liked mine so much that I commission- ed Sara to make me a large salad bowl. It's just as substantial, and beautifully made. The lady is really, really good.
I've been using the large moss scuttle for a couple of weeks, and I'm a big fan. It really keep a brush and lather nice and warm. Of all the accessories that I have purchased, this one gives the best bang for the buck.
I echo all of the positive comments in the reviews preceding mine. I just received my Moss scuttle yesterday. I selected the small because I use smaller size brushes and after using the Moss twice I know that I made the right choice. I rate this item on the high side . I think it is beautifully made and a quite functional design. The lower rating for durability is based on the nature of ceramics and not on the workmanship. I should think it will last forever ........ as long as you don't drop it. A classy way to keep the brush/lather warm between passes. My highest recommendation.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I have the large one, and use it every day. I build lather in the scuttle, and that works fine for me; keeps the lather nice and warm for as long as you need it. It is a luxury item, handmade and therefore expensive. I could do without it, but I wouldn't want to.

Norm
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I have the large scuttle. I use it everyday to first soak my brush and to whip up the soap/cream suds in. It does a great job, keeps it warm to apply, and keeps it warm to use. The larger scuttle allows the build up of froth. It can get messy with a larger brush but it works great. I have 8 different brushes and it is only messy with the 32mm kent monster.
It is expensive.
Headdoc
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)