What's new

Dana English Leather

Item Description

At £5 ($10) a bottle, I had my doubts about the quality of this cologne but it gets good reviews so I took a chance and am very pleased I did.

The first question I wanted to answer was "does it actually smell of leather" - well, yes it does but I was kind of hoping for a more mature leather smell, like walking into a tack room. That's not how this smells, this is new leather - a shoe shop perhaps. Also when first applied it gives a quite powerful and unpleasant chemical blast, so my first reaction was not entirely favourable.

I was wrong! The chemical twang only lasts 15min or so then the scent dies down to a very calm relaxing scent, civilized, quiet and with nothing to prove. There is no development after the first fifteen minutes the scent stays the same until the end. In some ways it's an uninteresting scent but then some days that's what you want, you won't exactly fade into the background but it's clean and fresh smelling and nobody could be offended even if you over applied it a bit. Good sillage and it lasts pretty well, six hours easily and there are still traces at 12 hours.

Ideal for those days where nothing much is happening and you just want so smell clean and pleasant, equally suitable for town or country (or even the office).

You can't go wrong at this price.

Latest reviews

Pros: price
Cons: lack of depth
I have not known the original. But this can be a benefit, since this review is not about the original. So I can review this unbiased, and with out negative feelings about a quality loss (because I'm not saying there has been no loss. No doubt reviewers who claim this are right. Things like this happen all the time.) I gave it a reasonable rating for scent and quality, because even though it might have been great one day, the Dana stuff now is not bad. Maybe the others stuff is 20 times better, and was fantastic. But this stuff isn't that bad. It really isn't. Unfortunately it isn't great either. It's ok. It's better then mediocre, but not very good. It starts out strong, like a punch in the face. Like a drunk loudly talking to your face, it lacks any form of subtlety at first. But if you keep listening to this drunk, he calms down a bit. And even makes sense.... From time to time... After a while it gets more pleasant, slightly lighter and getting a bit more subtle. It stops being a scent consisting of only one layer. It's actually quite nice now. The stuff has descend staying power for a eau de cologne. Nothing bad, nothing spectacular. I don't remember what I paid for it. All I know is that I have a huge bottle and it was cheap as dirt, one of the reasons it found it's way into my virtual shopping cart. It's really inexpensive so if you want to try a dry, manly cologne I would say go for it, if it isn't your thing it would certainly not break the bank. From Basenotes.net: Top Notes: Citrus. Middle Notes: Mossy notes. Base Notes: Woody and Leather notes.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
0.00 star(s)
An MEM gem taken over by Bigger Business. Now Dana has reformulated this into total swill. But to really know English Leather is to know a little of its history . . . it was the absolute IN fragrance in the 1960s and '70s, and Renaissance Cosmetics stepped in during the '90s to update, in very subtle ways, the range and packaging look of this product. Then Dana destroyed it. Everything from the packaging, to the logo, to the formula. Replaced by some zombified version, some soapy fluid that certainly does deserve its dusty spot on the bottom shelf at CVS.

There's no great packaging here. Just a paper box with the new logo brazenly printed on it. The bottle has been dumbed down, and again in most cases plasticized. Gone are the beautiful irregularly crafted 2 oz. glass bottles with wooden tops that match the fluid. Gone are the paper labels with Northvale, NJ printed delicately in crayola gold. The MEM crest is gone. And so is English Leather's true identity.

What I'm saying is, what you buy now isn't English Leather. It's what happened to English Leather when people got too lazy to keep investing in quality control and decided to sell a mass-market knock-off under the same name. If you can find it, go for original English Leather - the scent is very basic, just citrus and leather. No real complexity, no real evolution with time on the skin, but at least you know what you're getting. I feel that it's a bit of a dirty scent, but I guess that works for some people.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
This is the stuff you used in Jr High in the 70's.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
2.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
trewornan
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
0.80 star(s) 5 ratings

More in Fragrance (Reviews)

• Woodhue for Men
    Woodhue for Men is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was...
  • Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir by Bulgari is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for...
  • Obsession for Men
    A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime...
  • Body Kouros
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for...
  • Paco Rabanne
    Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men...

More from trewornan

Top Bottom