What's new

Merkur Futur

Item Description

As no one else has posted a review of the Merkur Futur I felt that this would be a good opportunity to contribute to the forum.
The Futur was the first DE razor that I used, and despite some recent instances of blood loss I still rate this razor very highly.
Firstly, it is a very good looking piece of equipment, it eschews the the bulky space age lines of the Vision and the ornateness of the 1904 Classic, in favor of clean, crisp minimalist lines. Although a razors appearance should be a secondary consideration for a prospective buyer, how many of us can honestly say that looks do not play a role in the decision making process; and on that score the Futur is the best razor out there.
On taking the razor out of its box, you are greeted by a very solid and impressive looking tool. The Futur exudes class, beyond its visually pleasing exterior it comes across as a dependable and well made item. The adjustment mechanism is solid and has a good feel to it and there is a positive response when you change the settings.
I was so impressed by this razor, that when I subsequently purchased an HD, I thought that I had been fobbed off with a toy from a Christmas cracker, next to the Futur it was too small and too lightweight to be taken seriously.
The first time you use this razor you should be suitably impressed by its weight. It has enough presence to allow strict adherence to the principle of no pressure, the Futur having enough heft that you can let it glide over your face and still get a close shave.
On wide open areas of the face it is a very well balanced razor that performs well.
However, there are design problems. For example, the method of blade replacement involves actually pulling the head off of the razor, bringing your fingers into dangerously close proximity with the blade.
Also, the handle has no grip, this makes it very difficult to hold when your hands are wet, and given the size and weight of the razor this can make it somewhat difficult to manoeuvre.
In fact the lack of manoeuvreability is the major problem with this razor, the aforementioned problems, combined with the actual size of the head mean that the Futur is totally unsuited to precision work.
With regard to the aggressiveness of this razor, I think it is down to common sense on behalf of the user, the potential for injury is there, but if you are sensible and have a deft touch this razor is very easy to tame, in spite of its awkwardness under certain circumstances.
In conclusion, I still like the Futur, given the proper respect it is still a very good razor, but my positive comments may just be down to the fact that I started out with this razor, I would imagine the transition from an HD to this maybe more difficult.
The Futur is a truly classic design, but certain design flaws undermine its true potential.
Warm regards,
Alex

Latest reviews

Pros: aggressiveness
Cons: price
This razor intimidated me at first. I had it on the lowest setting afraid of slicing off my face. Someone suggested to dial it up. I did and haven't looked back. this is a powerful razor and one to be used with care. Blade replacement is odd and the grip can be slippery when wet, but this will effectively give you that smooth look that all the girls adore! It's pricey, but it is obviously made with skill and attention to detail.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Hefty, brushed chrome, nice to look at
Cons: Very aggressive, even at 1
A very sleek razor, feels solid and well made, althoug when you open the head, there are two little metal things that look a little dubious. I keep my hands pretty dry when shaving, so grip is not an issue, although there is absolutly no knurling on the handle, it is smooth so be warned. The head is HUGE as are the sides, which make aiming it and getting a clean line on your side burns vey tough. I found this razor to be very aggressive, even on 1, I imagine it would be very effective mowing down beard. I was able to achieve baby smooth in only 3 passes (wtg/atg/xtg).
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Adjustability, weight, cutting "feedback",
Cons: Bulky Head Construction makes it harder to shave tight spots
I purchased the Merkur Futur approx. 6 months ago and have used it exclusively since. Prior to the Futur I shaved with a Merkur Heavy 34C - so that, and my appreciation for aggressive "adjustability" may explain my grading system here.

Quick points for my grading:

Price: at $65 or less online (amazon) it's hard to beat for the quality delivered.

Quality: it shows from the moment you open the box. Well designed with good balance.

User Friendly: Very easy to use, adjust, and replace razors. Beyond learning how to quickly and safely "pop" the top of the razor to replace blades, you need only learn to turn the handle to adjust the aggressiveness to match you beard and you are in business. (personally I set it to 2.5 on most days as my beard is not daily heavy and will set to 5 if I skipped days - I love that option)

Grip: The handle is smooth and absent any abrasions or grips for the shaft. There is a fitted indent - but you get my meaning. Still, I have only fumbled once (I learned long ago not to garb at a falling razor..) and there was no harm, no foul. The construction is solid.

Ease of Blade Replacement: I take issue with a previous post stating that razor replacement could cause cuts. I should think that we all are well reminded that we are working with "razors" and that threat is ever-present, right? so, no ham fisting the blade placement. As it is, a quick "pop" of the top, laying a new blade in place, and popping the top back into place is, for me, faster and easier than any form of unscrewing pieces for dis-assembly and reconstruction.

Aggressiveness: The option is yours. Not all beards are equal and not all users are the same in their shave. Having the option to adjust from a standard/fixed setting is freedom.

Adjustability: Easy. hold firm the top neck of the handle and screw/unscrew the lower handle until the numbered aggressiveness setting matches your desired beard results. I'd suggest starting on a "3" if coming from a standard fixed head blade.

Balance: a solid weight with an event balance. well designed.

Feedback: an new discussion for me and, I think, unique to the Futur. Since the head of the razor clamps over the blade and adjusted largely by tension wire, there is a louder "feedback" from the blade as is cuts through your beard than I have experienced on other razors. It's not a factor of the blade sharpness (as in the pull of a blade on its last day in rotation) because it also occurred for me on the first day of a fresh Feather blade. For me it's just another feedback, beyond sight, feel, and glide that adds to the morning shave experience.

I hope this helps.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly