What's new

Merkur Futur

Pros: aggressiveness
Cons: price
This razor intimidated me at first. I had it on the lowest setting afraid of slicing off my face. Someone suggested to dial it up. I did and haven't looked back. this is a powerful razor and one to be used with care. Blade replacement is odd and the grip can be slippery when wet, but this will effectively give you that smooth look that all the girls adore! It's pricey, but it is obviously made with skill and attention to detail.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Hefty, brushed chrome, nice to look at
Cons: Very aggressive, even at 1
A very sleek razor, feels solid and well made, althoug when you open the head, there are two little metal things that look a little dubious. I keep my hands pretty dry when shaving, so grip is not an issue, although there is absolutly no knurling on the handle, it is smooth so be warned. The head is HUGE as are the sides, which make aiming it and getting a clean line on your side burns vey tough. I found this razor to be very aggressive, even on 1, I imagine it would be very effective mowing down beard. I was able to achieve baby smooth in only 3 passes (wtg/atg/xtg).
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Adjustability, weight, cutting "feedback",
Cons: Bulky Head Construction makes it harder to shave tight spots
I purchased the Merkur Futur approx. 6 months ago and have used it exclusively since. Prior to the Futur I shaved with a Merkur Heavy 34C - so that, and my appreciation for aggressive "adjustability" may explain my grading system here.

Quick points for my grading:

Price: at $65 or less online (amazon) it's hard to beat for the quality delivered.

Quality: it shows from the moment you open the box. Well designed with good balance.

User Friendly: Very easy to use, adjust, and replace razors. Beyond learning how to quickly and safely "pop" the top of the razor to replace blades, you need only learn to turn the handle to adjust the aggressiveness to match you beard and you are in business. (personally I set it to 2.5 on most days as my beard is not daily heavy and will set to 5 if I skipped days - I love that option)

Grip: The handle is smooth and absent any abrasions or grips for the shaft. There is a fitted indent - but you get my meaning. Still, I have only fumbled once (I learned long ago not to garb at a falling razor..) and there was no harm, no foul. The construction is solid.

Ease of Blade Replacement: I take issue with a previous post stating that razor replacement could cause cuts. I should think that we all are well reminded that we are working with "razors" and that threat is ever-present, right? so, no ham fisting the blade placement. As it is, a quick "pop" of the top, laying a new blade in place, and popping the top back into place is, for me, faster and easier than any form of unscrewing pieces for dis-assembly and reconstruction.

Aggressiveness: The option is yours. Not all beards are equal and not all users are the same in their shave. Having the option to adjust from a standard/fixed setting is freedom.

Adjustability: Easy. hold firm the top neck of the handle and screw/unscrew the lower handle until the numbered aggressiveness setting matches your desired beard results. I'd suggest starting on a "3" if coming from a standard fixed head blade.

Balance: a solid weight with an event balance. well designed.

Feedback: an new discussion for me and, I think, unique to the Futur. Since the head of the razor clamps over the blade and adjusted largely by tension wire, there is a louder "feedback" from the blade as is cuts through your beard than I have experienced on other razors. It's not a factor of the blade sharpness (as in the pull of a blade on its last day in rotation) because it also occurred for me on the first day of a fresh Feather blade. For me it's just another feedback, beyond sight, feel, and glide that adds to the morning shave experience.

I hope this helps.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Aggressive shaver
Cons: Adjustable Handle Requires Lubrication
This is not the least aggressive razor, which some beginners want. However, I got this as my first safety razor. So don't let comments about the aggressive angle stop you. Just begin by using a lower setting. I would suggest 1.5 to 2.

I have used it as my daily razor nearly two years but occasionally use other Merkur models as well as other brands. This is very nice performing razor.

The fuss about adjustment is nonsense. Just grip it under the head with your index and middle fingers on either side of the stem handle and place your thumb over the top of the head. Very simple. Very safe.

I will say that the adjustment knob does need a drop of lubricant every six or eight months so that the handle keeps turning smoothly.

Regarding blade changes; pull the top cap off by grabbing the sides of the cap using your thumb and index finger. No danger at all and it's extremely simple and safe. Either tip the razor over to dump your used blade into the trash or pick up by the sides like any intelligent person would to remove or install a blade.

If you have used any other safety razor you have the same risk of cutting yourself when handling blades. The razor is not to blame.

This is a solid and well built razor that I believe will last a very long time. As with any razor it will need periodic cleaning. When I clean it I am careful not to damage the spring clips that hold the cap on and I give the adjuster a drop of lubricant afterwards.

Overall, this razor is a great daily shaver.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Looks, Adjustability, Quality.
Cons: Head Size (Maybe) / Agressiveness.
This was my first DE razor. I bought it before discovering this site. The look and adjustability appealed too me.

I would recommend this razor to any new DE saver. My issue initially was applying too much pressure, resulting in a little burning. (A bad habit of my cartridge days).

As the razor is quite heavy no pressure is needed at all. The weight does appeal to me. No problems changing blades and grip is fine. Have not tried to adjust it yet mid-shave.

The head is quite large, so getting hair just under my nose proved difficult at first, but after a few shaves no problems here.

The best thing is that I can "turn it up" as my skills improve.

You will not regret having this razor as part of your kit.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Appearance, unique technology
Cons: Larger than average head
I love my Futur (bought it 2nd hand)! It deserves an 11/10 for style! When I read the reviews of the Futur 1.5 years ago, I was hesitant to make a purchase. But now that I have bit the bullet and bought it, am kicking myself in the *** for not owning it sooner. The issue with the slipperiness: rinse off your soapy hands and you'll be fine. I haven't dropped it yet (over a month of use) and never did I struggle with the grip. I still have it on setting 1, and it slices the stubble with absolute ease (can only imagine how it performs on setting 3). I can see why people have a "love/hate relationship" with the futur: you have to treat it like a straight razor. I actually have been str8 razor shaving for over a year, which is probably why I haven't had a problem with the Futur. No cuts, nicks, nor much weepers either. The only issue is the satin finish, which slightly fades off at certain areas where there is skin contact. I will probably never shave with another razor anymore (I might buy the Vision though). Don't be afraid, try it out. You might love it! Enjoy.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Ease of usage
Cons: None
The moment you put your hands on this machine, you can fell that is not a toy. I use it for more than 2 years now and I can assure you this is THE mother of all safety razors. I wanted a razor close to a straight and this is it. The sound of the blade, the finish, the heft, the feeling when you're done, all in all recommend this razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Ease of changing blade, solid feel
Cons: Build quality and Merkur quality control
I received a brand new chrome Futur as a X-Mas gift and have been shaving with it for two months now.Main reason why I rated this product as low as I did is due to Merkur's shoddy build quality and their general unwillingness on to help a customer with their problem (i.e. warranty).My problems with this razor were uneven blade gaps which caused for an uncomfortable shave even at the lowest setting. I've also noted that the chrome plating has started on the top plate pins which inserted into the clasp mechanism.I've documented my experience with photos in the thread below:http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/273036-Futur-owners-uneven-blade-gaps-is-this-normal/page2
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
0.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I have the Futur with the Satin finish. It has become my daily razor from the first shave. It has helped me get the allusive BBS without nicks, cuts, weepers, or irritation.The only con is blade changing can be a little scary, you must pay attention when you're popping the top.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
D
Pros: Takes lots of lather, easy to clean,great shaving,takes lots of shaving before wash the head, needs les rinsing than gillette slim.
Cons: Hard to use then new, need lost of training to master,not great on the grip to the new guy
After some time getting use to it, it is now one great razor that I use everyday. It did slice some skin in the beginning and gave me nicks and cuts (still do sometimes) but it can hold lots of lather so it doesn't need to rinsing as much as my Gillette slim, so you can shave faster with it. Its one great razor one of my favorite.This is my second razor, my first was an Shick plastic TTO and my second was the Gillette slim with i used fore practices to get merkur furtur to preform better and give me less nicks and cuts.:thumbup1:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
A very well made razor and a good piece for the money. Adjustability is nice and smooth. I found the razor at its highest setting the blade seemed to flex too much for my liking. I also could not get used to the weight. I just could not tell if I was adding to much pressure or not. I found out after the shave if I had irritation or not. I also did not like the grip. I would start toward the end but my fingers would always end up near the head. Ease of blade replacement and cleaning was easy. The biggest thing I can not get over is the handle. It looks like a tampon applicator! :scared:
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Ok, I understand that people share a common disdain for this razor, as far as the blade replacement method, adjustment dial, and grip.

In my mind, I can only think, if one exhibits focus and proper caution, you should be able to replace blades, adjust the razor, and hold it fine like any other razor. The dislikes concerning the aforementioned attributes lead me to believe that people aren't paying attention to what they are doing when they change blades. Like mentioned before, even "dull" DE blades are extremely sharp in terms of finger-cutting ability. If you exercise caution, it seems that the general dislikes are not an issue. For me at least. OK, now to my review.

The razor is heavy. I like the heft, as it makes me feel like I am using a surgical tool of precision to perform my shaving duties. This is a plus for me. Not just weight, but substantial size.

Quality is top notch. After all, it is German.

Price is good, I paid about 60 for mine. That's as much as i spent on my inferior fat boy.

It is user friendly, IMHO, because I didn't have any trouble.

The grip has got some real estate, and I like the notch about 1.75 inches down by the head, where my fingers can "lock it" and provide a secure grip.

I've addressed blade replacement, it's simple. You pop the head off, if you have common sense, you pop it off upside down and let the head fall on a towel on your counter. Put fresh blade on posts, and press what you have in your head into the posts, and "click". Stupid simple. Also, I did not notice any "play" in the blade, or misalignment where the blade may stick out more on one side than the other. I have read about this happening with this particular model, but have not experienced it myself.

It's mild on the range from 1-3 I would guess. I only need to use it at 2.5 to get an ideal shave. At 6, this thing looks like a monster.

Adjustability is as good as any adjustable razor. If you have man hands, you can hold the razor right above the numbers and make your adjustments. Or you can press down on the top part of the head with your thumb, and a finger under each side of the razor. This can be done safely, just like any other razor.

I don't recommend this razor to new DE users, as new users are taught to use the weight of the razor to perform the shave. You can NOT do that with this razor. It's simply too heavy, and you will cut yourself doing that. Not to knock any new DE users, but DE'rs experienced with this razor know what I am talking about

Balance is A1.

I love this razor. It does what I ask it to, and performs my every demand. And it does this while looking beautiful. I have the polished chrome version. Would love to own the satin version.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
For an almost guaranteed BBS shave, with virtually any blade, it's the FUTUR for me.

I have the polished chrome, and it is a true work of art. There is a lot of praise for the finish of the EJ89 (which I also have) but IMHO the finish on the FUTUR is superior.

Set at just about 2 on its scale the FUTUR gives an almost perfect shave on the first pass. MY best combo is with a Rapira and any of my creams (and a Rooney Semillion 2 or Simpson Chubby 2. Only downside is if you press at all you will experience some light irritation. Let this big razor do the work for you and it is smooth as silk.

Another interesting side "benefit" of the FUTUR is its "sound effects." For reasons I don't know, this razor let;s you "hear" yourself cutting through the beard, sort of like a single edge.

Price-wise it isn't cheap, but one needs to consider the value quotient. Then it is reasonable.

some have mentioned what they consider an awkward blade replacement...couldn't be further from accurate...if you have a human hand.

It's a big, heavy razor, but I have found absolutely no issue with holding it or slipping. In fact, it's size makes it a more secure hold than smaller razors such as the 38c or 89l.

All in all, a choice that would never be wrong! :thumbup:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
My RAD pushed me to this get razor and I'm glad it did. I was hesitant to get this razor because of some of the bad reviews.
I have had it for two weeks and love it, its all you'll ever need in a razor. I found it very easy to adjust and change the blade ,no cuts on my fingers.
Priced a bit high($65.00), but you get a very nice precision crafted razor for your bucks. Looks so dam cool in the den, always get questions from guest wondering what the heck is that in your bathroom.
Its heavy and its BIG and I like that way, just let it glide across your face and you get bbs.
I guess it could be hard to grip with wet hands, however I manage to keep my fingers dry so thats not a issue for me. If you have been on the fence then buy it, I think you'll likey a lot.
Futur is my go to razor, beacuse I like a wide blade gap, and Futur is about the biggest you acn find. I also like the fact that it is one of the few adjustables that dont change the bend of the blade/angle of attck , when you adjust the setting on the razor. The whole blade assembly raises away from the bar
Phenomenal razor. Two thumbs up.
I bought a gold Futur about 5 weeks ago. In a word, Sweetness!!! With a nice and light stroke this razor is excellent. I like the way you load the blades by popping off the top and dropping the blade in. I like the range of gentle to aggressive. I like the weight. But I especially like the incredible shaves.

I don't like that the first couple of times I used it it slipped out of my fingers although I no longer have that problem. Changing the setting is kind of tough and I worry about cutting myself while doing it. And lastly due to the size of the head there is a learning curve with mustache and sideburns.

Even with it's faults it is still easily the best razor I've used. It seems any blade I throw at it gives me great results. It's substantial which I never cared for before but like it in this model. And it is hard to make mistakes with it which is so important. Loaded with an astra and set to 4 I'm ready for 1, 2, or 3 days stubble and I feel like reaching for a different razor means a lesser shave.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Hi
I recieved my Futur razor a week ago and have been DE and straight shaving every day for the last three years.
I have acquired about ten DE razors and half a dozen straights over the last three years and this razor is up there with the best.
I adore the shave it gives, it has heft, good quality workmanship and it's different. It is a well engineered product and will last a lifetime. I have a number of Merkurs, Gillettes etc, so didnt know what to expect. I can tell you that I wasn't dissappointed, I set it to the lowest setting of 1, loaded the Merkur platinum that came with it, used a brush and palmolive soap and off I went. The shave was irritation free and very smooth indeed.

Dont worry the slightest about changing the blade or shaving under your nose, there is no problem at all, its a breeze. This is a great bit of kit that shouts "this is a guys razor"..at every oppertunity.

I paid £42 from Amazon for the razor, and its one of the best £42 I have ever spent......that doesnt include the £42 I spent in Latvia on a stag doo...but thats another story :))))

All the best gents and have a great Xmas.

London
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
OK, I'll start with: I love my Futur! I've had it for years, I use it almost every day and think it is one of the best razors made - and since I started shaving with a DE in 1960 or 61, I've tried a LOT of razors!!

I have the chrome handle, and have never found it to be slippery with wet (but not soapy) hands. Blade change has never been a problem for me...

It can be set in a wide range from mild to quite aggressive, and although its hefty, it is perfectly balanced. The heft means that you use no pressure at all, and just let it glide. It will shave you as close as you adjust it to, and 5 can easily produce weepers for me!

My first Merkur was the Progress back in 1965, and they had the same poor plating, poor finish and ever-moving adjustment problems 45 years ago as they do today! BUT the Future is different, it is well finished, the plating is bright and doesn't peel and the adjustment is smooth and even.

I shave with a Feather at 1.5, and even though I have a dense, wiry beard, it just mows it down effortlessly, no cuts, weepers or drama!

Great razor!
I borrowed this from a workmate to check it out. I didn't expect to like it, due to the weight and head size, but it actually hides all that well and delivers a really good shave.

Pros:
Heavy, but good balance. If you're used to lighter razors, you can get used to wielding this. I do find the HD far more manoeuvrable though.

Very smooth. I used to like Astras, but they tend to wear my skin out in the Progress. They perform well with the Futur though. My preferred Red IPs also perform better, given the extra weight behind them.

Price: All niche imports to Oz are expensive when bought locally, but I can score this for $70 and that's reasonable in our market. I wouldn't pay RRP of $95AUS.

Quality: Very good. Not sure how a potential loosening of the spring bars may affect blade seating.

Grip: Could be better. This is a heavy razor. Bigger hands probably find it just fine.

Cons:
Ease of Blade Replacement: Here's the thing. I have the HD and Progress and really like them. The HD is my go-to 99% of the time. But when Merkur venture into adjustables, their engineering and QC has issues.

My Astras don't fit on the seat bed without pressing them down and making sure the glue contacts. This could be the Astras fault, as other blades fit just so. Even so, this invites trouble when loading.

Depending on the springiness of the bed springs, blades can pop off and out when ejecting blades, no matter how un-hamfisted you are removing the head. Not good.

Blades sit perfectly flush when seated, but snapping the head on can misalign it and the head can sometimes twist when fitted in place. Or the springs can force the blade off centre when putting the head on. I sometimes have to pop the head and try again to get a blade properly aligned. Just like the Progress, whenever Merkur try to get clever they introduce potential problems. Other Futurs may not do any of this, but reports are that enough do to make an issue of it.

Adjusting the gap needs care. You can come into contact with the blade, so you need to grip with fingers underneath the head and thumb on top. The process is not a simple as it could be. You need dry hands too.

I'd buy one despite its faults, which are certainly not just user related.
Top Bottom