What's new

Hydrating Pre-Shave Lotion

Item Description

I've found that this lotion virtually eliminates my problems with razor burn and consistently allows for a really comfortable shave. It immediately hits you with a mild and pleasant but almost "mediciny" smell and then the cooling sensation kicks in. It's not oily at all and rinses away completely. I'm not sure what the active ingredients are but the packaging claims that its unique blend of natural ingredients, enhanced by plant extracts, which assists razor glide - and it certainly keeps my shave smooth through all three passes.

Price: At £8.50 for 100ml (3.4 oz.) it's not cheap but definitely worth it.

Quality: The product appears to be top-shelf. The lotion is consistent throughout, has nice spreading qualities and an overall pleasant smell.

Performance: For me, it has greatly improved the comfort of my shaves. I hold a steaming hot damp towel to my face right after showering and apply the pre-shave lotion, leaving it to soak in for a minute or two while I build lather and stuff. Alternatively, you can apply it before the towel treatment, but then you have to use more lotion. I then do one with-the-grain pass, one across-the-grain, reapply the pre-shave lotion and do the final against-the-grain pass.

Usefulness: High usefulness; I dread shaving without it when I'm almost out. I haven't found any shaving soap that it doesn't play nice with, but beware if using it with shaving soaps that already contain menthol or eucalyptus.

Durability: The plastic container is solid enough to last at least as long as it takes you to spend the lotion (typically 2-3 months for me). I don't know its shelf-life, but I've experienced no degradation in quality since first opening it 3 months ago.

Packaging: Comes in a sturdy round container with a screw-top lid. Edwin Jagger saw it necessary to wrap a round thing in a square box, which you then trow away upon unpacking. Thus, I do not have the ingredients list at hand anymore, and had to pull it from the web.

Ingredients: The list on the side of the box is as follows:

Aqua, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glycerin, Alcohol Denat, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Cetearyl Alcohol, Titanium Dioxide, Menthol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Zinc Oxide, Equisetum Arvense Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Xanthan Gum, Camphor, Menthyl Lactate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Magnesium Nitrate, Magmesium Chloride.

Latest reviews

Pros: Better razor glide, less razor burn, smoother shave
Cons: I use too much of this stuff
Regarding latherability, I give it a 10 based on the fact that it is able to sit on the skin underneat the lather without making it runny or dry. I've had no problems with it contaminating my brush or shaving soap either, so it's good all round.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)