What's new

Hess 42 stainless steel

Item Description

The Hess shown is from my personal collection and has become my personal favorite. Now I know what many of you are saying, stainless is too labor intensive. I had the same initial opinion.

The initial honing took a bit over 8 hours. The stropping was easily twice what I'd put on a carbon. Working with many different grades of stainless while I was in aviation, I knew what to expect when it came to working the material. Once the edge was set it shaved like silk!

It slices through whiskers with ease. Very little pressure achieves a smooth even path through my beard.

The balance is good in hand and it has a nimble elegance while working tight areas. The blade is a 9/16" true measure.

The key here with a stainless edge is it takes little stropping between shaves. It cleans up easily and doesn't stain like a carbon will with a little moisture missed. The initial labor to get it where you want it.... OH THE PAIN!!! Take it slow and easy. Be prepared to spend time on the hones. I've seen some of the crowd using the DMTs out there. When dealing with stainless (kitchen knives, chisels, hunting knives, airplane parts) Using a well lubricated "stone" will give a better finish in each grit. Don't be heavy handed, this will induce micro chipping. Smooth light millions of strokes will put it where you want it. The satisfaction of completing what seems like an act of futility?... Priceless.

The price tag... well if you find one, expect to pay in the $200 neighborhood for a NOS razor. I've seen horrible ones go for close to $100 on ebay.

While I think everyone should try a well sharpened SS straight, stainless is not a daily razor for everyone. It takes a light touch to maintain and a bit of patients to keep it in shape.

If you're one who sings the praises of stainless, find one of these razors... You'll fall in love all over again.:thumbup:

Latest reviews

The Hess shown is from my personal collection and has become my personal favorite. Now I know what many of you are saying, stainless is too labor intensive. I had the same initial opinion.

The initial honing took a bit over 8 hours. The stropping was easily twice what I'd put on a carbon. Working with many different grades of stainless while I was in aviation, I knew what to expect when it came to working the material. Once the edge was set it shaved like silk!

It slices through whiskers with ease. Very little pressure achieves a smooth even path through my beard.

The balance is good in hand and it has a nimble elegance while working tight areas. The blade is a 9/16" true measure.

The key here with a stainless edge is it takes little stropping between shaves. It cleans up easily and doesn't stain like a carbon will with a little moisture missed. The initial labor to get it where you want it.... OH THE PAIN!!! Take it slow and easy. Be prepared to spend time on the hones. I've seen some of the crowd using the DMTs out there. When dealing with stainless (kitchen knives, chisels, hunting knives, airplane parts) Using a well lubricated "stone" will give a better finish in each grit. Don't be heavy handed, this will induce micro chipping. Smooth light millions of strokes will put it where you want it. The satisfaction of completing what seems like an act of futility?... Priceless.

The price tag... well if you find one, expect to pay in the $200 neighborhood for a NOS razor. I've seen horrible ones go for close to $100 on ebay.

While I think everyone should try a well sharpened SS straight, stainless is not a daily razor for everyone. It takes a light touch to maintain and a bit of patients to keep it in shape.

If you're one who sings the praises of stainless, find one of these razors... You'll fall in love all over again.:thumbup:
Price
1.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
3.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)