What's new

Hema double edge razor blades

I finally used one today after sitting on them for 6+ months.
The blade was shocking in a Goodfella razor and excellent in the Feather AS, that would be a whole other story, though.

One of the nice features is the packaging / branding - there is none whatsoever (once you chuck the cardboard/plastic thing)! The blades are wrapped in white paper and have zero markings on them. Very clean!
I went and got me a pack at my local HEMA
The price was €1,60 a bit more expensive. :mellow:

Keeping it very simple; They do not work for me.

I just could not get a smooth shave with these blades.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
I thought a picture of the front and back of the HEMA blades packaging as of May 2009 might be interesting.
The text on the front says:
10 Single razor blades. Fixed system.
The text on the back says:
10 single razor blades. Rinse well during and after the shave for the best shaving result. The chrome and teflon layer on the cutting edge increases the shaving comfort and lengthens the life span of the blades.
If there is anyone outsite The Netherlands who wants to try these HEMA blades just send me an PM.

I'll send you a box. Costs are 1,50 euro for 10 blades (thats the price they cost in the shop) + shipping.

Payment via Paypal.
Just a quick review from these all-Dutch blades:

Only 15 €ct per blade is damn cheap.

GILETTE MACH 3 COSTED ME € 2.59 PER BLADE!!!!!!!!!

Imho the HEMA blade is a tad less aggressive than a Derby blade.

Above all: I had a BBS shave with these today and I am going to stick with them IF I do not discover any negative issues on the long term.

Will post a full review after finishing this 10-pack!

JdB
HEMA blades.. They are a lot better than Gillette Super Silver, and this at 1/5 of the price. A much smoother shave, at least in my Gillette Knack. Derby Extra definitely is better, but HEMA blades were such an upgrade over GSS blades, and at 15 cents a blade, that I can only smile at having found them.

I agree that blade and packaging looks identical to the "Shaving Shack" blades also reviewed.
I've got a pack of Hema blades that I still have to try....can't wait :biggrin:
Until a decade ago the HEMA was my main supplier of razor blades but due to decline in quality (up to 3 out of 10 blades were bad, very bad) I went on a search for better blades, and succeeded very well.
Revisited them a couple of months ago just for fun and found out they were completely different blades from the ones I used before.
Ten years ago there was (in most Dutch cities & towns) not too much choice: in your drugstore you could choose between the Gillette Super Silver (the only thing super about them is the price; one of the worst blades I ever used) and the Wilkinson Classic (a lot better but still below mediocre for me).
Or you went to the HEMA and bought theirs for half the money with a (most of the times) better shave as a bonus.
The same Gillettes and Wilkinsons are still available but the HEMA blades seem to have been improved and are probably from another manufacturer; shave is completely different and they are much more consistant in quality.
Not that sharp and not very smooth but also no irritation and not harsh.
They do the job but I do need 4 passes and touch ups and there is still some stubble left. They are not smooth enough to go for a 5th pass. I usually need (depending on the brand) 2/3 passes and touch ups with a lot less remaining stubble.
All in all not a blade to stock up but in most cities and towns in the Netherlands the best blade you can buy off-line; HEMA, the best a man can get!!!
At least, when you live in the Netherlands and haven't discovered the Internet yet!
And another thing; the price ratio with the Wilkinettes have gone from 1:2 to a staggering 1:4 !!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
In my local HEMA I found some, 1,50€ for 10. They are comparable to Merkur blades. I will buy up all their stock now in case there are problems.
I often use Hema DE blades. I find them very cheap (not the main reason for using them though) and give you a nice clean shave. They are not as sharp as, for example, Derbys (let alone Feathers), but give you a relatively smooth shave.
Being very, very forgiving, the blades are very suitable for beginners on DE shaving. Also 'veterans' should have a couple of these packs in their den, just to change blades from time to time.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Hema is a Dutch chain of department stores with stores in almost every Dutch town or city of any significance. They have stores in Amsterdam and Rotterdam but also in such towns as Heiloo and Dedemsvaart :biggrin: This means that finding these blades is very easy.

Hema is known for their quality products and relatively low prices. The Hema DE blades are no exception. At €1,35 a 10 pack they are far from expensive. The quality isn't bad either, I still don't know which company is behind these blades but they give a smooth shave. In terms of sharpness these blades are not as sharp as a Feather but comparable to Merkur blades. In terms of smoothness they are comparable to Derby blades.

Overall this is good quality 'middle of the road' blade, perfect for every day use. If you happen to visit The Netherlands, make sure to buy a pack at Hema, they have a store at Amsterdam Airport as well (Arrivals 4).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)