What's new

Gillette Tech

Item Description

I love this little gem of a razor!
I recommend it as a first DE and if it ends up being your only razor you could do worse!

Latest reviews

I love my Techs, especially my beat-up little ball-end Tech. Sure it doesn't have the heft of, say, my Fatboy or Merkur 38c, or the aggressiveness of my slant or my adjustables opened up all the way, but it gives wonderfully smooth results on those days when I'm in the mood for a quick, mild shave. To me, the Tech is the DE equivalent of an Injector - even though it's a bit like driving a high-powered sports car with automatic transmission, the experience is still a very good one.

For me it works best with Astra SP, Gillette Platinum (current production, white pack), Iridium Super, and NOS Gillette Bleue Extra blades. I'm not crazy about the results I get when I use Feathers in mine, which seems a bit odd I suppose.

Anyway, if you don't have one already, pick one up. Don't be deceived by their low prices - they deliver first-rate shaves.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
This was my second DE razor. For $10, it can't be beat. It feels great, and it works well.

It's the PERFECT starter razor. Not too aggressive, but it more than capable of giving BBS shaves. One has to wonder: who cares about aggressiveness if you've already achieved BBS?
Year/Model: 1957 C-4, ball-end with alignment slot inside head cap.

Price: I got mine for $4 in pristine condition. If I was told it had never been used, I'd have believed it.

Quality: Excellent. Great condition for 50+ years, all parts fit perfectly. Etched logo still like new.

User Friendly: I'm not really sure what this entails, but the razor works well in the hand, is easy to maneuver, reaches all the necessary spots. At the same time, it's almost impossible to cut yourself with it.

Grip: The grip would have felt more secure if the knurling were just a tad deeper, especially with this thin handle. The 40's Super Speed is about the same width, but has a firmer grip.

Ease of Blade Replacement: I'm not sure I'd rate any 3-piece razor ten points for this, but it worked well. The alignment slot keeps the blade in exactly the right position while tightening the handle, so it's almost impossible to mis-align.

Aggressiveness: I rated this very low, because it's mild, but also because it's less than I expected, even though everyone says it's mild. It takes me 1-2 extra passes to get a shave as close as my other razors do for me. Some might enjoy taking that extra time.

Balance: The thin handle is solid, so the balance is quite nice.

I had been a long time in getting to this razor, and I had a real love for Techs even before I put one to my face. I hoped it would be a razor I'd want to go to every day, but alas, it didn't live up to my hopes. No doubt it's the right razor for some faces, so I'm giving mine to my son as a travel razor. His light beard and sensitive skin might be the perfect match for the Tech.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)