What's new

Gillette Super Thin Platinum(Vietnam G)

Pros: Cool looking box
Cons: Worst blade I've ever tried
I can't believe that some people like this blade, but perhaps that is due to the razor they use. I used a Muhle R89. I used the Vietnamese version of this blade, and it is by far the worst blade I've tried in the R89. Very dull, rough, and lots of tugging on the first shave. Seriously, the first shave with this blade was worse than a week old [insert your third-favorite blade here]. I used three blades (each for four shaves), and then after the first shave on my fourth blade I decided to give up. I won't use the last blade in the box, and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Just awful!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Wonderful blades!
Exactly the same as the Thai Super Thins in my opinion and on par with the Red Israeli Personna blades.
In my opinion the Vietnamese Super Thins actually last a bit longer than the Personna so therefore are a great value.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Recently i ordered 2 Gillette Super Click razor and there was a blade coming whit each of those razor.
So i gave a try to the blades.
I would say it's not the sharpest blade around but enough smooth for me to like them.
I get a 2 pass + touch-ups BBS whit those without any irritation.
They are quite cheap , you can get them for 15$/50 blades.
The packaging is great, a bit old school, whit the face of King Gillette on it.
I recommend them.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Gillette Super Thin Platinum(Vietnam G)
The Gillette Super Thin razor blades were unknown to me until I found them on the Bay while searching for an other brand. Gillette does operate quite a few DE blade plants. The plant in Vietnam is one of them.

Price
I got the blades for 4,90 € shipped from Vietnam which is few for 30 blades. The conversion from Vietnamese Dong to Euro didn't affect it badly to say the least. In general these blades cost next to nothing so they're getting9 out of 10.​

where's it from?

Qualitiy
The word quality could kind of summarize the following topics (sharpness, longevity, ...). Therefore I only comment on the general look and 'feel' of the blade. It doesn't rust after a normal shave and the finish/coating is well made. 10 out of 10.​

what's inside?

Sharpness
I've shaved four times with this blade. Two times in a row with two days of growth in a Gillette Slim Adjustable. And also two times in a row with three days of growth and two days of growth in a Gillette NEW (open long-combed).
The first shave in the Slim Adjustable was surprisingly good. To me it's as sharp as an Asian red pack Personna, perhaps a tad sharper than a Derby. The second shave with the Slim was not as good as before. I went WTG then ATG but there was still a feel of roughness left. Maybe my shaving angle was off but I haven't had this problem before.
The third shave was with a Gillette NEW and three days of growth. This time I went WTG, WTG, and XTG. Considering I shaved two times with the grain and then across you'd guess there was only little left - and so it was. All in all an 8 out of 10.​

another wrapper

Longevity
These blades last long and stay sharp. 10 out of 10.​

Smoothness of shave
The first shave with a Gillette Slim Adjustable was overall good. This blade is as sharp as a good Personna but as non-aggressive as a Derby. The other shaves were so-so. One time I felt reminded of the sharpest and smoothest blade I've tried and the other I was reminded of a really bad blade to razor combo. 7 out of 10.​

Packaging
The blades come in a carton of 5 blades. Because I like the boxes to hold 10 blades I only give 9 out of 10. The remainder is superb. No surpluss glue, no fuss. The blade is wrapped in two sperate papers. 10 out of 10.​

Bottom line
In my opinion the razor blades of this origin are worth a try. Even if the smoothness is a concern I'm sure these are still in the upper half of smoothy goodness because I'm fairly critical here. If you like Derbys there's a high probability you'll love these blades. And Personna lovers should try these, too. At the low cost I'd definitely buy em again.​

you see the "1" and "2"?

Note: Click on the pictures above to leave a comment. If you like what I did please do so. Thank you for reading this far.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I tried one in my Rotbart 2000 with Cella, and it gave a very good shave (DFS) in just one pass. Hardly any irritation. So I too must disagree with the starter of this thread: I like them. Longevity is never an issue as I replace a blade after one or two shaves.
Edited to say I had my second shave with it this morning, now with Godrej De Luxe. Again worked out very well. Just a little irritation afterwards.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I am a bit surprised to see the poor reviews above. I actually very much liked this blade and ordered another 100 just yesterday.

I shave only against the grain and (because of this) use only very sharp blades. This one is definitely sharp: a bit sharper than derbys and around the same sharpness as yellow 7 o'clock. Perhaps not as sharp as feathers but it is smoother and lasts longer (5 good shaves per blade)

The selling point for me was its smoothness. Only derby leaves me (with a single against the grain pass) with similar results.

BTW, I tried derby (very good), merkur (terrible), feather (good, sharp but not so smooth), wilkinson classis (dull), wilkinson sword(dull), 7 o'clock sharp edge(ok), kai (terrible), souplex (ok), shaving shack israeli (good)

P.S. I think packaging is not relevant here. Similarly, the quality is redundant here: sharpness, longetivity, and smoothness are actually the measures of the quality, and nobody cares about other quality measures about a disposable item
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Price
I actually got ripped. I bought 100 BIC Chrome blades on Ebay from a guy in Singapore and received 25 of these blades in place of the BIC's.
Quality
Blade does not have the sheen of a quality stainless blade. This may not be stainless steel or a very poor quality stainless. I am gonna see if it rusts.
Sharpness
Noticeably dull to the touch and when shaving.
Longevity
I managed to get one shave with these WTG without razor burn. My second pass ATG left noticeable stubble and a mild razor burn
Smoothness of Shave
Using a Merkur 38C the blade dragged and I felt pulled rather than sheared the hairs from my beard.

Overall
I will keep these blades for projects such as a crystal radio detector cat whisker assembly or other experiments.
I do not reccommend this blade for shaving.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Straight out of Ho Chi Minh Vietnam comes Gillette Super Thin Platinum blades. These are new production and most likely made in Vietnam. I ordered some of these from German Ebay and price for pack of five blades was just under 0,50 EUR.

Package is made out of paper is nice ecological and blades are double wrapped. This must be the only good point using these :)

I tried these on Gillette slim, Gillette Rocket, Merkur HD and on Merkur Futur. This blade wasnt good on any of these razors. First impression was dull and blade started to skip almost on the first draw. I actually managed to get 2 shaves out of these with some practise, but after switching back to Derby, I never looked back.

Shaving with these felt like using seven shaves old Swedish G. Smoothness is there but blade just isnt sharp anymore.

I rank these just above Merkur blades which I hate, but buying these isnt worth in any price.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)