What's new

Edwin Jagger DE86

Item Description

I picked up this razor from Rasage Poulin recently and have been shaving with it for the past week. Thus far, I am extremely pleased.

Price - from RP, $36.99 CN plus about $10 CN for shipping. Not the least expensive but less that other EJ razors and quite competitive with Merkur, etc.

Quality - no problems here. Others have already commented on the quality of the Muhle-Pinsle head in this line of razors (the DE89L, specifically). The key difference between the two is this razor's faux ebony handle versus the textured 89L handle.

Grip - I also have an EJ Chatsworth razor and thus far I prefer the grip and straight lines of the 86. Less spinning in my fingers. This razor is not as secure as an HD in the hand, but it is not a problem.

Blade replacement - this is a three peice razor. I prefer two piece as I am confident one day I'm going to lose blood to a three piece.

Aggressiveness - This is interesting to me. I have also been using a new 38C and I find this razor gives me much better shaves. I can only guess that the size and mass of the 38C (which I thought would help) change my technique enough to erode the quality of the shave (both razors using Israeli Personnas). This little razor is shaving me about as aggressively as my HD.

Overall, I'm happy with this razor. It's good looking, comfortable, easy to use, and can be had at a pretty nice price. Looks like I'll have to sell the 38C becasue I like this much more.

Latest reviews

Pros: Heft, balance, simplicity, quality
Cons: I may never expand my repertoire
The EJ DE86 was my entry to DE shaving nearly four years ago, and to date I haven't found a reason to replace it. Is it aggressive? Is it mild? I have no idea; I've not tried other shavers to compare.

Some disparage 3-piecers, but I like having the ability to pull the EJ apart and clean thoroughly. The build is rock-solid and basically bombproof. The threads in the handle have developed a bit of a squeak recently when (dis)assembling, but I chalk that up to soap residue and as a sign that I need to give it a cleaning.

My beard is on the finer, softer side, yet I also use pre-shave oil and shaving cream, so I'm not exactly bushwhacking with this rig. It glides around very smoothly. I find that its compact size aids maneuverability for 3- and 4-pass shaves, and the balance is perfect. For the same reasons it was easy to master.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Forgiving, easy to use for a beginner, well made, good looking, can change handles
Cons: Some people might want a more aggressive/efficient razor
I love this razor - it was my first DE razor and it was the best choice for this.

I got the DE86 really cheap from a website that was getting rid of the long handled ladies' version with pearlised coloured handles. It was cheaper to buy this than to buy the head alone from the same website!

I wanted a long handle because I have big hands and arthritis, but the original handle lacked a bit of grip. This was easily fixed with an iKon special edition long handle ($32) or you could put any handle you like on it to get the heft, length and grip that suits you.

This razor is mild and forgiving, perfect for a beginner DE shaver but so pleasant to use that you could keep using it forever. Some people might complain that it is not aggressive/efficient enough for an experienced DE shaver but you could put a more aggressive blade in it. The head securely locks the blade into place so there is no chance of movement and the alignment is perfect.

The head is very well made and looks good. If you look after it there is no reason why it shouldn't last forever.

In summary I think this is the perfect beginner DE razor. Better than a Merkur 34c HD which many people say is a great beginner razor. I have given this same razor to two friends who are starting out in DE shaving and they love it too.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Looks Great / Good Weight / Fine Shave
I got a great deal on mine but I know that they can get up to 40.00 to 60.00 here in LA.

This was second to last "Modern Razor" purchase and I have to admit that this is a great razor at any price. I have a problem with purchasing DE razors right now and have spent considerably more and less for my shaving obsession and after purchasing this one I don't see why you'd need to spend more for a good shave. This razor is not very aggressive but still does a great job, it is well balanced and the handle doesn't slip as long as its rinsed. The build quality looks like it will last forever and the size is perfect. You can really feel the quality in your hand and know it after you take your first stoke. Its easy to maneuver and I particularly like that the weight is in the head where it should be. You can let weight of the razor to the work and take you time but if you fond yourself in a hurry you can also do a quick shave safely without bloodshed. I think everyone should get one of these razors it will be part of your regular rotation after the first use.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)