What's new

Colonel Conk Almond

This is one inexpensive soap that works great. For only about a dollar more than a puck of VDH, you get a great smelling, quick lathering, very moisturizing soap. The big puck for $6 at my locally owned knife shop is an even better value and fits perfectly in my mug. If the only soaps you have ever tried are the drugstore varieties (VDH, Williams, Colgate) then this will blow you away. If you are used to the more expensive soaps (3T's, C&E, etc.) and like the sent Almond, thin this will truly surprise you.
I prefer the Almond over the other Col Conk soaps. They are all great soaps but the Almond is the one I'll buy again. It lathers great every single time I use it and I like the feeling on my face after the shave. Nice and smooth !:smile:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
PRICE 7/10 - At only $3.50 for a small puck it is much cheaper than most soaps you will find reviewed here, but more expensive than some. I give it a 7 because the puck is small and soft, meaning you will have to replace it more often that a larger, harder soap. Still a great value when you consider how well it works.

QUALITY 9/10- Colonel Conk contains good ingredients. I don't know what they are, but I found that it was extremely effective at softening my beard. It is an excellent soap that is difficult to find fault with. It comes in a cheap plastic container, which I deducted a point for.

SCENT 9/10 - I never knew almonds could smell this delicious. The previous post, about the guy wanting to take a nibble out of it, is no joke. It is very sweet smelling, it reminds me more of coconut that almond. I deeply enjoy the scent because I have long been searching for a soap that smells delicious. I deducted a point because it may be a little bit too sweet. It will definitely make you hungry :thumbup:

LATHER 10/10 - I can't find fault here. The lather is superb.

EFFICACY - This soap really needs to toot its horn better. It is a superior product with many excellent qualities.

MOISTURIZING - 10/10Truly amazing. This is where this soap truly shines in terms of performance. It feels that it's so moisturizing that after moment has passed your face can't absorb more, and it begins to feel oily and slick. Once rinsed off you are left wondering if you need to use an aftershave.

- SUMMARY -Colonel Conk's soap smells fantastic, lubricates your beard for an effortless shave, and leaves your face feeling moisturized and ever so soft. I would really like to see more scents. If I was CEO there would be 31 flavors of Colonel Conk soap.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Really decent price, especially for a beginner looking for soaps to try.
Love the scent to bits. I had trouble keeping myself from trying to chew on it.
Decent lathering ability. Even a n00b like me can get a good lather going.
Not too drying, nor too moisturizing. Pretty darn neutral, which is nice.
Only drawback is that it makes me break out something fierce. A real shame since I really like this soap. Not to mention the fact that the company is based about 20 minutes from where I live.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I'm a noob, so I don't have much to rate this against other than the cheap walmart stuff. Although the smell is a little sweet, it smells exactly like amaretto which I do like. I have had very nice shaves, especially since I haven't been shaving for more than a week, and this seems too do the job very nicely for me. If I wasn't intrigued as to how it compares to other soaps, I would stay with this for a while.
Overall, very affordable, nice smell, slick shave, and doesn't dry out my skin!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
First off yes, the smell is WICKED sweet, almost too much to take, but I didn't notice it so much once I put the lather on my face (strange, I know). It lathered up fairly quickly/easily, and left my skin feeling nice and smooth. Great moisturizing soap IMHO.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
One of my favorites. Love the smell, but it isn't too strong. Good performer.

Only drawback is it is easy to get too dry a lather. No problem though, I just dip the tips of my brush in hot water and rework the lather on my face to moisten it up.

I think Col Conk soaps and a tube of proraso should be every ones starter kit.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Wow I was really surprised with this soap. I paid 4 bucks at a local store for it which is alittle high but I didn't have to wait and order it. I microwaved it to fit in a small plastic bowl. The scent is real sweet scent not the greates but not bad at all. I found the soap to lather really easily and it produces plenty for more than 2-3 passes. It seems to provide a good amount of cushion and glide, though coulde be alittle slicker. While I don't think this soap is intended to moistureize, it doesn't dry out the skin at all. Overall I am really impressed expecially with how much I paid. Good overall value.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This Soap smells great and lathers quickly. A couple of bursts in the microwave and it was cutom fitted into a nice pottery bowl.

The Shave was smooth and did not dry out my skin like I expected a soap might. Even at this price it can compete with the big boys.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I was quite surprised that such an inexpensive soap could work so well.

The scent is a very sweet almond/marzipan - this is one of the few "food" scented soaps I own and, while I enjoy it, its just a little too sweet for me to use on a regular basis. If you like almond soaps, you definitely need to put this on your list - if you don't like sweet scents, you should give this a pass.

The lather is very good - while not as good as a tripple-milled soap, its on par with most other glycerine soaps out there (I suspect that this is due to the addition of avocado oil).

I found the almond have better moisturizing properties than the amber and think it shouldn't cause any grief in this department.

The soap is quite mild on the face and I didn't experience any burn/discomfort.

While dirt cheap, the soap is quite soft - so it won't last nearly as long as a tallow or tripple-milled soap.

Overall, this is a quality, old-school product and I think anyone who likes soaps (especially those who like glycerine soaps) should give the Conk products a try - in particular, the amber, bay rum and almond - as these all contain the avocado oil.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I'm one of those people who has purchased about 9 soaps and 7 creams. From Proraso to "boutique" names featured here on B&B, I've tried most of the names.

However, to my shocking surprise, each time I come back to Conk's almond, I get a smooth and comfortable shave. Not the lime. Not the glycerine. Only the almond. Great shave to rival the higher priced "names" you see floating around.

And you can't be the price for a puck.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing