What's new

Colonel Conk Almond

Scent isvery sweet but when lathered it mellows out considerably. Very easy to get a great lather and the post shave feel is awesome. Been wet shaving for almost 2 years and this is probably my favorite thus far.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Quick Lathering
Got a sample of Col. Conk Almond with a Conk Bowl I purchased. I tried some of it and found it to be quick lathering, and creates a nice thick, somewhat cushioney lather. Low priced and a good soap for someone on a budget - just $1 more than Van Der Hagen.

It did irritate my face a little, but I had also shaved twice that day, so it might just be me.

Makes a good travel soap as well in it's small plastic container by itself.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Smell! Quick lather. Price.
I am very pleased with this soap. As other reviewers mentioned, it has a very sweet smell, which I think is excellent and much better than musky shaving scents we so often have the misfortune to encounter. This scent is warm and calming - you won't be able to get enough. Sometimes I open the package and take a whiff if I can't find an excuse to shave. It produces a very good lather - noth the thickest, perhaps, but at this price, it's a great soap. Highly recommeded.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Almond has a great clean and sweet scent. I have shaved with it a few times and it lathers so good! It has plenty of cushion and slickness. To me....it performs the same as the other Conk soaps. I think tallow based soaps soften my skin better...the Colonel leaves me just a tad dry occasionally.

If I had to rank the scents they would be as follows:
1. Almond
2. Bay Rum
3. Amber
4. Lime
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This is the best soap from col conk in terms of quality lather that is slick and provides some cushion. For the price, this is tough to beat. My only complaint, and the reason I can't use it daily is that the scent is too "sweet" for me. It is very strong, but I will continue to use this soap on occasion.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
A great starter soap with a few minor drawbacks. I love the smell first thing in the morning, before breakfast . . . as my daughter says, it smells like cookies. (I would say a macaroon.) The shave you get from it isn't perfect -- the lubricity is good, but sometimes I think it's a little drying. The lather is good -- not the best I've seen, but good -- but it has a tendency to dry out after a minute or so on my face. Still, $4 a puck -- this brand would be my first recommendation to a cost-conscious wet shaver.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I prefer this soap to the Col Conk Bay Rum. The smell is sweeter. They both lather well and i couldn't really tell the difference between the shaves I received from either. It did not dry my skin out and was very easy to use. I would highly recommend this soap especially for the low price.
I just tried this for the first time this week and was very surprised.:thumbup1: Much better than the bay rum for me. I got a great close shave and no weepers. Felt very protective. I think this will always end up being in my rotation now-
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is an excellent soap that belongs in any rotation. I have enjoyed the Col.'s soaps for many years and will continue to use them even though I have many others in my rotation. I also like the bay rum and find it to be the best of the bay rums that I have tried, although admittedly, my experience has not been exhaustive.

Without going into a full blown review, this is a top performer at any price. I find that I have plenty or lather for repeated passes. I have always purchased the larger pucks and find that they fit nicely in and Old Spice Mug. In short, I highly recommend these fine soaps.
I've been using this soap for a couple months now. First off, everyone keeps commenting on the smell. I've got my soap in a mug on a shelf over my toilet (it's sturdy...nothing's fallen in yet :tongue_sm), and it takes a lot of self control to just zip up and move on. My wife has come in and caught me a couple times with my nose in the mug. It's seriously that good. Even if you don't like shaving with it, find a way to turn it into a candle. Or PIF it to me :biggrin1:.

On a serious note, though. Let's get down to brass tacks.

This is a fantastic soap. I don't need to hover on price, scent, etc. The key for me is the lather. It lathers well, but for me it's somewhat tricky to get the proper mixture of water+soap. This is not to say that it can't be done; what I'm saying is that you just have to be careful. For me, when it looks good, it's actually too dry. I have to consciously add more water than seems right to make it the perfect consistency.

The other thing for me is the moisturizing factor. People differ on their stereotypes regarding cream/soap. This is a great soap, but I definitely have to apply ASB after using, and I have to be very careful with my prep, unlike other soaps I've used. Otherwise, I will get drag.

To sum up: yes, yes, yes. You can afford this. You can melt it into a favorite mug, and you can go to town with it :thumbup:.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This was the first soap I used, it was free with my DE set. The smell is like amaretto. Nice smell, nice shave, not as moist as Proraso, my first cream, but an excellent soap for the money.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I love the almond soap. I bought a three pack of their supersized bar, and I don't regret it at all. I've asked for samples of all of their other products, and I'll report back once I've tried it all.
Col. Conk's Almond is one of my favorite soaps for several reasons.

First, the nostalgia factor is big for me. As one of the first shave soaps I ever tried there's a satisfying flash-back to the good old days whenever I smell this classic scent.

Second, it lathers quick and stays relatively thick the way I like it.

Third, it's easy it find and you can grab a puck for less than $5, which is hard to beat.

Can't go wrong with Col. Conk's Almond. I would recommend to anyone.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Nice American made soap - I can even buy it locally at the Garden of Eden just across the river in St. Paul.

The lather isn't as rich as some of the nicer soaps, but it isn't bad at all. I like the Almond scent - and sometimes have to fight the urge to taste the bar.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
great product great price
This is a very good inexpensive soap. Like some of the others here, I microwaved mine (20 seconds) and poured it into a good mug.

I know this sounds ironic, but I find the smell to be too much like almond. It is not unpleasant, but certainly not my favorite.

I would like to try another "flavor" of the Colone Conk, given its very low price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I really like this Conks Soap. Very impressed. Gonna buy the larger size and keep it in the rotation.

Price:
If the very low price makes you think low quality you're wrong.
Quality: Very good. The soaps I've used have been consistent and well made.
Scent: This is very sweet, like marzipan sweet. I love that. If you want a more natural nutty scent seek elsewhere.
Lather: Very, Very good. I face lather my soaps, and it builds quickly.
Efficacy: Very slick with good cushion.
Moisturizing: Initially it felt very good. But my skin began to tighten about an hour later. A little extra moisture will help but pretty good if you skip.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I have to agree with others here, You get a great soap for under $5. WHO KNEW?!

I had to drive down to a ye olde barber shoppe in the next town over, you should have seen the cash register. Giant push buttons, the numbers rolling across the top and a giant handle you had to push down when you cashed out. ANYWAYS.

$4.50 for the soap is crazy cheap and I gotta say I was impressed with the performance of this stuff. I couldn't really smell the soap when I bought it in store but when I brought it home and lathered it up the smell came out a little. Not to overpowering and it doesn't stick around.

I was also impressed with how fast this lathered up. We have hard water from our well that we have, and usually it takes a while to build up a good lather but I gave it a couple of swirls and BAMN! Foam City.

While I'm used to C.O Bigelow as my staple shaving cream I find that it gets a bit cold now that it's winter and I'm using something with Menthol in it. The switch was nice as it leaves my face feeling smooth and not dried out in the least bit.

Overall this is some mighty fine stuff. I highly recommend you give this a try if you have hard water.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I take this soap with me when I travel. I love the almond scent. The price can not be beat. I still prefer creams to soaps but this is a very good product.:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
The price for its quantity is amazing so its a great soap to have just to have if anything and its not going to break your bank to even try it out for a week. Quality is great its a bit more waxy then say my Tabac but that doesn't effect its lathering ability. The scent is amazing, I love smelling the almond, its not to heavy by any means so it wont linger and drop you to your knees. The lather is great, not as great as the Tabac but its still doing a great job for its low price. I love shaving with this soap it actually goes on smooth and stays on for the duration of your shave. The moisturizing effect is great, some times I cant help but think that it does a better job then my Tabac... I have it on rotation with my Tabac and look forward to purchasing the almond scented one again.
Top Bottom