What's new

C.V. Heljestrand 8/8 MK 134

Item Description

I got this giant fairly recently from a friend and couldn't wait to test it out. I've played around with it and have been really enjoying it. It came to me NOS, but it was pretty sharp and only needed some work on a Japanese natural with slurry to get to shave readiness.

It's a bit of a rare and strange blade for a few reasons:

-it's a GIANT Heljestrand. You don't see too many of these.
-it's a round point, which is again not the norm with the MK Heljes
-it's stamped MK 134 instead of 34

The blade is very hollow ground and has one of the nicest satin finishes I've ever seen. That's why I gave the craftsmanship a really high rating. I haven't had it for long enough to really judge how easy it will be to maintain, but how hard is it to maintain a razor? Just wipe it and make sure it's dry and it'll be good. I'm also going to test the edge more to see how long it'll last for me.

The shave is very smooth. I prefer the more hollow Swedish blades to the heavier ground ones. The heavier the grind, the more harsh the Swedish blades tend to feel on my face. Like I said, this is pretty hollow ground, so it has a bit of flex and feels very smooth for me as a result.

Here's one last picture of this blade next to a Globusmen. In case you're wondering, the Globusmen is no small razor. It's a 13/16 :tongue_sm

View attachment 130282

Latest reviews

I got this giant fairly recently from a friend and couldn't wait to test it out. I've played around with it and have been really enjoying it. It came to me NOS, but it was pretty sharp and only needed some work on a Japanese natural with slurry to get to shave readiness.

It's a bit of a rare and strange blade for a few reasons:

-it's a GIANT Heljestrand. You don't see too many of these.
-it's a round point, which is again not the norm with the MK Heljes
-it's stamped MK 134 instead of 34

The blade is very hollow ground and has one of the nicest satin finishes I've ever seen. That's why I gave the craftsmanship a really high rating. I haven't had it for long enough to really judge how easy it will be to maintain, but how hard is it to maintain a razor? Just wipe it and make sure it's dry and it'll be good. I'm also going to test the edge more to see how long it'll last for me.

The shave is very smooth. I prefer the more hollow Swedish blades to the heavier ground ones. The heavier the grind, the more harsh the Swedish blades tend to feel on my face. Like I said, this is pretty hollow ground, so it has a bit of flex and feels very smooth for me as a result.

Here's one last picture of this blade next to a Globusmen. In case you're wondering, the Globusmen is no small razor. It's a 13/16 :tongue_sm

View attachment 130282
Price
1.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
1.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness