What's new

C&E Super BB made by Edwin Jagger

i bought it off ebay for 55 dollars shipped.i bought it as a back up as i have already had 1 for about a year that i bought from c&e when they had a sell. it is a discotinued brush from what i have read.it is just a great brush for me as it is soft and really lathers . dont see useing any other brush and hope to get a lot of years from it.only have lost maybe 10 hairs in a year.

this brush doesnt get much praise on other shave forums but it is a great brush for me. if i didnt like it so wel i would have never bought another brush just alike and at 55 dollars i thought how could i go wrong.:thumbup1:

randy
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
My first high end brush. I wasn't too pleased with the price, but I don't see me using anything else for some time. Don't need a lot of cream to make a lot of lather.
I just picked up the large brush at my local C&E. I had a 30% off coupon with me from the last time I was in the store. List price $85.00. With the discount card, $59.50. Not bad. I was only planning to pick up the Nomad AS Balm but when I saw this big, beautiful creation on the shelf I couldn't resist.

OK. Step one. Give it a good washing. What I do is give it a good lathering in the large bowl with AoS Sandlewood cream. I lather my hand about 3 times and then rinse out the brush and shake all the water out of it. I do this twice and then I'm ready to shave with this beauty.

Price... I had to give it a 9 because of the discount.

Quality... Very good. Another 9.

Density... Not quite as dense as my Rooney real horn with Heritage Badger. But pretty good. An 8.

Stiffness of tips... Not sure how to rate it here. The brush is on the floppy side.

Softness of tips... Folks this is pure luxury. If you want to feel pampered
lather up with this baby.

Ergonomic... This is a large brush that feels very comfortable in my hands. I had no trouble reaching the places it should and avoiding the places it shouldn't.

Latherability... A definite 10. I used a large bowl with a normal peanut size dollop of AoS Sandlewood cream. The brush and the bowl filled up way too fast. I need to cut back on the cream. I had enough to shave 3 guys with 4 passes each.

All I can say is this is a wonderful brush, great for cream, maybe a little too floppy for a hard soap. Well worth the money. A nice addition to my collection and now in my normal rotation.

Len
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
My first brush was a $15 Omega boar hair brush followed shortly by a $40 super badger brush from Fendrihan up here in Canada. Both brushes were relatively cheap and made a good base for my entry into wetshaving. That said, two weeks ago I received one of these C&E monstrosities in the mail as a grad present from my parents. Before firing it up for its first shave, the brush didn't look that much bigger than my Fendrihan, but once it had soaked up some water my god this thing is huge! I swear one dab on each cheek is all that's required...

At $120CDN it seems a bit steep, especially considering the USD price. That said, my father managed to pick it up during the great 50% off sale a month ago (He also got one for himself), which took quite a bit of bite out of the sale price. At $120 it is a significant purchase, but at $60 you'd have to be daft not to get one (especially if in the market).

The quality of this brush is astounding. The bristles are densely packed and I've yet to loose a single one during its first few weeks of use. The handle is big, knobby and well laid out making it a pleasure to hold both while building a lather and while applying to the face. I can't say how it will hold up over time but so far it looks amazing.

As far as stiffness and softness is concerned, high marks all around. I was concerned that a brush this size would become floppy and well...lacking ummph. After filling it with lather I must admit it holds its form quite well and provides enough friction that I feel some exfoliation during the lathering...

I must admit I was concerned the first time I built a lather using this brush. With the Fendrihan brush and the Omega, lather would be spilling over the sides of the bowl and getting all over my hands and so on, so forth. With this brush there was very little lather left in the bowl leading me to believe it wasn't doing a good job of creating lather. The first time I raised the brush up to my face I realized where all the lather was hiding. The brush itself probably had enough lather hiding inside of it to survive three or four passes without requiring and sort of re-working in the bowl. Quite impressed not only at the ability to quickly build a dense, rich lather, but then to store it all within its mighty bristles.

In all, this brush has easily become my main driver. It's truly a pleasure to use and I find the other two brushes I own have now thoroughly dried out as they sit on my shelf waiting for me to grow bored of my new acquisition. Something that is not likely to happen anytime soon...
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Got mine yesterday. I'm very well impressed by this brush. I picked mine up on the B/S/T here and got a great deal. The box is marked $85US and I would agree that retail is about fair for this quality of construction.
The most impressive thing about this brush, to me, is its ability to be somewhat scrubby while being soft and luxurious on the skin. The handle is also nice. I've got big hands and this handle doesn't feel puny or make my hands cramp up after whipping up a bowl full of lather.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I just got given one of these by my father (greta guy :biggrin:), loved my first shave with it, comfortable to use, built loads of thick long lasting lather for me, and best of all had the perfect soft/exfoliating balance for me.... oh and it looks great too :) My new favourite!!!!!!

Tom
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
I purchased my Super about 10 days ago from a storefront in one of our local malls. I had decided to look for a new brush from a local vendor as so much of what I buy for shaving comes from online vendors. I have used it everyday and feel confidence enough to evaluate its performance.

Price: The sells receipt showed a price of $95 with a discount of a little over 10% which made the price $85. As most stores tie the registrars to a main server I believe that a price increase at C&E is coming fast. The box was marked $85. I felt the price was moderately high. I think $75 would have allowed me to rate it a 10.

Quality/Density: Good packaging in a heavy well made cardboard box. The brush was wrapped in two layers of white tissue paper. Small card was inserted in the box with directions on care and maintenance. The card noted the use of Borax in the cleaning process. Workmanship of the brush is outstanding. The handle is well cut and polished smooth. The ridges in the handle appear to be true to both the eye and to the feel in your hand. The knot is seated straight and at a good depth. The marketing says its hand filled and selected. It appears well packed and very dense out of the box in both my hand and on my face.

Stiffness/Softness: This was the hardest area for me to review. I had read other reviews that talked about this brush being border line floppy. Out of the package the brush felt very soft to my skin though out the bulb which is rated large by EJ. Tips are soft and the shafts tended to yield to pressure in a uniform way. In use, the outer 1/2 of the circumference is very soft and the inter one half is noticeably stiffer. This difference appears after I soak the brush in near boiling or very hot water which I use in my prep routine each morning. I like this difference a lot.

Ergonomic: As noted above this is the large size that C&E sells and the largest brush I have purchased to date in referenced to the size of the knot (23mm from Edwin Jagger). Overall height of the brush is a respectable 4.3 inches with a handle diameter of 1.5 inches. With that in mind the brush does not feel awkward in my hand. The ridges in the handle form a nice groove for my thumb and fingers so I feel in control of the brush when creating lather. Nice heft and balance I would call it if it was a knife. My lather bowl is really not large enough for a brush this size.

Latherability: Extremely positive lathering. I rated it a 9 because it is a little stronger with creams than soaps. It holds a tremendous amount of hot water and will continue to build lather as long as you want to keep making it. Is a little stronger in building lather in a bowl than on your face but its a very small difference which I contribute to the odd difference in stiffness from the outer portion to the inner portion of the brush.

Overall: I am very happy with this brush and feel I received true value for my money. No buyers remorse so far with its performance. I believe the difference I find in the stiffness is what has led to this brush being referred to as "border line floppy". That core stiffness is what make this a good brush on soaps and a very good brush on creams. I would remind you it is a large brush when used and feels a little over the top if your using a 19 or 20mm brush now, but you will adjust quickly and the difference in using such a large brush is a lot of fun. I still believe the C&E BBB is an outstanding starter brush and I would recommend the Super as the next logical step (if buying locally) in your quest for the perfect shave. I am keeping it in the rotation for the foreseeable future.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I have the small-handled model Super Badger, by Edwin Jagger. Mine is not a C&E brush... but, I doubt that makes a difference. It's a great little brush!

I don't know if my ratings are accurate, or not. I like the brush itself, very much. The handle size is a bit small for my hands... but, it's great for traveling! I rarely feel like I am using excess product, like I often do with larger brushes. I think that's a real plus!

chop-chop
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Excellent, high quality brush - very dense - superb at lathering - v.large and floppy - super soft bristles which provides a luxurious shaving experience - for those that like stiffer bristles to exfoliate - no probs, just press a little harder with this brush and you get all the exfoliating you need! Holds tons of water!!!!

Was initially quite sceptical, the size seemed far too big! Takes some getting used to, but now I'm thoroughly enjoying this wonderful brush! Highly recommend this to anyone! :001_smile
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I just picked this brush up at C&E during this past weekends 20% storewide sale. Normally $85, but got it for $68. Having now used this large brush I don't mind saying the regular price isn't bad. I picked mine from a couple they had and got a real winner. The brush feels great in hand and the hairs on mine are almost as soft as a silverhair. Very dense and no hairs lost in first 4 shaves. Having used the smaller C&E best badger for some time I don't expect much fallout at all. This brush lathers like a champ and feels great on the face. I'm really enjoying it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
This is my first review and nobody has reviewed this brush, so here goes:

Price:A bit on the high side compared with other brushes from the likes of Rooney and Savile Row. In the US it's listed on the C&E website for $85 but here in Canada it sells for $139, quite a mark up. I was lucky enough to get it from a fellow B&B member for a great price, half the price of it here in Canada.

Quality:So far so good. Haven't lost any hairs and it has bloomed nicely. This is a quality brush on par with the C&E BBB, as expected from Edwin Jagger. The hair is much softer than the C&E BBB and slightly stiffer then my Kent BK4. As for density it's packed very well. The tips are a tiny bit prickly but still soft and not nearly as floppy as my BK4.

Ergonomics:This brush has a large chunky handle and I love it. It doesn't feel dainty in my hands like the C&E BBB. It is a hefty brush with a nice solid feel.

Latherability:I've used this brush with both soaps and creams and have had excellent results. Enough lather to last 5 or more passes.

Overall:I would say this is a good quality brush that should last many years (YMMV.) I would highly recommend this brush if it wasn't for the price, $85US is a tad steep. If you can find it on sale or get it used from another B&B member I'd say go for it.

In the pictures the brushes are (left to right): C&E BBB, Kent BK4, C&E Super BB
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)