What's new

Bay Rum with a Twist Shave Stick

Item Description

displayimage.php

Bay Rum with a Twist is one of my favorite scents of all time. Saint Charles shave has made this scent available in shave stick format. This product exceeded all of my expectations and I cannot praise the SCS shave stick format enough. It's a must try and the price makes it very easy to do so.

The scent is the Bay Rum with a Twist you have come to know and love. It is identical to the EDT and the cream (which was available as a limited B&B group buy a few years ago).

I chatted with Sue about the shave sticks when I purchased them a few months ago and in the correspondence she mentioned she tweaked the soap formula a bit to make sure it was soft enough to come out of the tubes. Whatever she did worked incredibly well and these sticks provide the best lathers I've ever gotten from SCS products (I've used a number of SCS creams and soaps). The lather is excellent and very easy to create. It is as slick and cushioning as they come. I think this is on par with Provence Sante in terms of moisturizing, slickness and cushion.

The price is excellent for the quality and quantity of this product. At the time of this writing the cost is a paltry $5.50 per stick.

I've used SCS creams and sometimes I don't get the lather I'm looking for. They are a bit trickier to get the water to cream ratio and proper mixing just right. The sticks on the other hand are very easy to use. Wet your face, rub the stick around and create lather with your brush. If you like supporting your local artisan vendors but have had trouble getting good results from SCS creams, consider giving these sticks a try. IMHO You will have a very different and much more favorable experience. If you love SCS soaps you'll find the stick to be similar in performance but a bit easier to create lather.

The only gotcha's with this product I must mention are that the stick is very soft so it is going to get used much more quickly than a hard milled soap stick like Harris, Palmolive, Valobra and even glycerine-based like QED. I still think the price is so cheap that the cost per shave is an excellent value. That rate of product removal from the stick will probably catch traditional shave stick users off guard.

Related to the above, I've found that if I thoroughly and vigorously rub all of my beard, like I do with hard milled soap sticks, I actually get too much soap applied to my face and have a lot of left over lather in my brush after three passes plus touch up. If you are used to using hard soap shave sticks you might try backing off a bit on how much rubbing you do to apply soap to your face.

Discussion thread for this review

Latest reviews

What can I say about this? It's a great take on the classic Bay Rum scent with a citrus chaser. If you like Bay Rum and are a fan of Ogallala & Pirate's Cove awesome offerings you would be doing yourself a favor by adding this to the rotation...'tis truly a great product matey! Thank you Saint Sue!:em2200:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I could not wait to get my hands on this product as I had missed out on the SS version special buy.

Price: excellent value

Quality: softer than the normal which means you will use it up faster, but excellent nonetheless.

Scent: !!!!!

Lather: Whoa,Nellie! If you have problems with creating lather from a soap or a cream, grab a shave stick(this one!) and go to town-problem solved! Gobs and gobs produced from rubbing into my wet face. For even more,wet the shave stick first and then rub. Ummmmmm, boy.:biggrin:

Efficacy: My face was smooth,nick free, and feeling like a million dollars.

Moisturizing: More cleansing than moisturizing, but it did not leave my face dry or tight. I absolutely love the lime.:wink:

I bought 2 of these initially, but i can see myself buying more to give out as gifts to my growing cadre of local wetshavers who are finally seeing the benefits of what we do.

I'm just hoping that Saint Sue adds the majority of her scents to her shave stick line-the wait will be worth it.

marty
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

Bay Rum with a Twist is one of my favorite scents of all time. Saint Charles shave has made this scent available in shave stick format. This product exceeded all of my expectations and I cannot praise the SCS shave stick format enough. It's a must try and the price makes it very easy to do so.

The scent is the Bay Rum with a Twist you have come to know and love. It is identical to the EDT and the cream (which was available as a limited B&B group buy a few years ago).

I chatted with Sue about the shave sticks when I purchased them a few months ago and in the correspondence she mentioned she tweaked the soap formula a bit to make sure it was soft enough to come out of the tubes. Whatever she did worked incredibly well and these sticks provide the best lathers I've ever gotten from SCS products (I've used a number of SCS creams and soaps). The lather is excellent and very easy to create. It is as slick and cushioning as they come. I think this is on par with Provence Sante in terms of moisturizing, slickness and cushion.

The price is excellent for the quality and quantity of this product. At the time of this writing the cost is a paltry $5.50 per stick.

I've used SCS creams and sometimes I don't get the lather I'm looking for. They are a bit trickier to get the water to cream ratio and proper mixing just right. The sticks on the other hand are very easy to use. Wet your face, rub the stick around and create lather with your brush. If you like supporting your local artisan vendors but have had trouble getting good results from SCS creams, consider giving these sticks a try. IMHO You will have a very different and much more favorable experience. If you love SCS soaps you'll find the stick to be similar in performance but a bit easier to create lather.

The only gotcha's with this product I must mention are that the stick is very soft so it is going to get used much more quickly than a hard milled soap stick like Harris, Palmolive, Valobra and even glycerine-based like QED. I still think the price is so cheap that the cost per shave is an excellent value. That rate of product removal from the stick will probably catch traditional shave stick users off guard.

Related to the above, I've found that if I thoroughly and vigorously rub all of my beard, like I do with hard milled soap sticks, I actually get too much soap applied to my face and have a lot of left over lather in my brush after three passes plus touch up. If you are used to using hard soap shave sticks you might try backing off a bit on how much rubbing you do to apply soap to your face.

Discussion thread for this review
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing