What's new

Favorite AC Blade?

I tried the Feather Super also and found it to be a bit of over-kill. I still can't see why anyone would need them as apposed to a regular Feather Pro or Schick Proline blade.
I imagine that neither a Feather Super Pro or Light blade would work very well in a single edge safety razor since that would change the blade exposure too much. The Super Pro in a AC straight allows one to use a shallower shave angle which can be advantageous at times or just personal preference.

Reactions: JPO
Just thought I’d chime in that of the AC blades, the Feather Pro Super is my second favorite (after the Proline). Yes, the extra exposure means extra blade feel and extra care, but with those the results are excellent.

53675586-52D0-4CF2-B930-514397198EE1.png

Why don’t they sell these on Amazon?

Schick Proline

Get a couple Kai and feathers from tryablade if your curiosity insists, otherwise just order some Proline p30s and rest easy. There's no close second.

I guess I’m an outlier but I prefer the Feather Pro over the Schick Proline. I also like Feather Guard in my AC razor. I’m going to try the guard in my ATT SE1 tomorrow just because I never have.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
3 good 50mm AC blades I have tried are the Kai Protouch guarded blade. The Feather Professional is a good blade.
Recently have been using the Schick Proline P30 blades. Still testing the Schick Proline for longevity, they seem to be working well so far. It seems with the Kai Protouch & Feather Pro I get around 6-7 good shaves and after that they drop off for comfort.

There must have been some change of sort from Schick to the Proline blade as I seem to have ben reading lately that most only get less than 10 shaves from them... 2-3 yrs ago I was getting minimum 20 comfortable shaves in my V1 SS General and probably could've gotten 5-10 more shaves if I was into a DFS shave instead of BBS every shave out!! That and reports of them not fitting in a few new razors lately...

I know this is a resurrected thread but might as well provide my personal input since there are not a ton of threads comparing the various AC blades.

My personal opinion is that the word "mild" in the Kai Captain Mild blades throws a lot of people off. I actually find these to be the sharpest of the "standard" AC options (Feather Pro, Schick Proline, Kai Captain Mild). I think when you have coarse/thick hairs, blade sharpness is much more apparent from one blade to the other. For me, Feather Pro blades are much more "tuggy" than Kai Captain Milds, especially on the first pass. The Schick Prolines are a very distant 3rd place, I've tried a couple loose blades from Try A Blade and also a P-30 pack to make sure they were fresh and not damaged in transit. I can't even get through a full pass with them because of how uncomfortable they are, it feels like I'm using a paint scraper.

The Kai Captain Milds give me the smoothest feeling shave, but that's because they are slicing through the hairs easier and not tugging. I could see how these could be misconstrued as "mild" since they provide, for me, a much smoother experience. I find the Kai Captain Protouch MG to be just as sharp/smooth, but result in a slightly less close shave than the milds. They are another good option for people with sensitive skin or who shave daily.

Yes, older thread, but seems there's still interest.

As @molon_labe says, initially the Kai Captain Mild blades may be a bit smoother than the Feather Pros, the Prolines also might feel that way for some. For me, the Feather Pros smooth out after a pass or two and, and as a daily shaver, I haven't really had much of any tugging issue. The Feather Pros work great in my Occam's AC razors, and do well in all my others. I get at least a week out of each blade, and the Feather Pros are consistently good.

Price-wise the Feather Pros were less in bulk, so I've been mostly using them. But, IMHO any of these three- Kai Captain Mild, the Schick Prolines, or the Feather Pros are good first choice blades. IMHO one should try each of these before deciding to buy in bulk. And, with the prices of these blades a bulk purchase is a good idea. In bulk, I've recently bought the Feather Pros for ~$.42 a blade; I haven't bought the others in the last year, so I'm not sure where today's market for the Prolines and Kai Mild is.

Of the other AC blades, I've probably tried them all- the Feather Pro Supers are really nice in a Feather SS and Feather SR for me; the Protouch MG were the best of the guarded blades I've tried. None of the others tried made much of an impression.

I guess I’m an outlier but I prefer the Feather Pro over the Schick Proline. I also like Feather Guard in my AC razor. I’m going to try the guard in my ATT SE1 tomorrow just because I never have.
I think it’s 50/50 around here. I actually like both Feather Pro/Guard and Proline. The Feather Pro is the most efficient of the three…the ProGuard is the smoothest…and the Proline is somewhere in between. You can’t go too wrong with any of them.
For some reason I don’t care for the Kai blades…Pink, Purple, or whatever color, even though most guys around here find them the most comfortable.

Last edited:
Until someone pointed out the obvious to me, which is that much like safety razors and DE blades, combinations vary. I was always leery of the Feather Pro Super. Then this guy suggested I try them in the Feather SS. Holy crap was he right. Not only were these NOT the scratchy, biting blades so many claimed they were, they were even better than the handful of good reviews I did find. Turns out, they might be made for the SS.

So, my favorite all around blade is actually the Schick Proline followed by the Kai Salon Select, but if you ask me what my favorite AC blade is to shave with, specifically when using straights, it's the Feather Pro Super.

Until someone pointed out the obvious to me, which is that much like safety razors and DE blades, combinations vary. I was always leery of the Feather Pro Super. Then this guy suggested I try them in the Feather SS. Holy crap was he right. Not only were these NOT the scratchy, biting blades so many claimed they were, they were even better than the handful of good reviews I did find. Turns out, they might be made for the SS.

So, my favorite all around blade is actually the Schick Proline followed by the Kai Salon Select, but if you ask me what my favorite AC blade is to shave with, specifically when using straights, it's the Feather Pro Super.
I had a similar experience with the Feather DE blade. I had feared :eek2: the Feather...until I tried it. It offers one of the best shaves ever. Granted it has blade feel, but I have never cut myself once with a Feather. And its efficiency is unsurpassed. I still prefer the Polsilver and Proline, because it offers almost the same efficiency with more comfort. I have sensitive skin, so (unfortunately) comfort is my main concern. What can you do 🤷‍♂️

I've bought a pack of Proline blades, which will arrive next month and I hope they are good enough, because they seem to be the most inexpensive and also one of the best blade on the market and I hope I like it, because the other blades are way too expensive and for me it's not worth stocking with them.

I'll give a vote for the Feather Pro Super as well. That's at least for the Vector Titanium. I like the Feather Pro in the Vector in stainless steel, though also do the FPS. Some of the various guard and mild blades are also nice. The Schick are my least favorite; it's the only SE blade I've used that was uncomfortable for me. It may be that I had a bad batch, but I get outstanding shaves with other blades, so I don't feel any interest in trying again.

Thanks, @muzichead , I thought the Prolines were all AC-type.

What's the difference between the B20 and the Schick/Chick blades? Factory of origin perhaps or just a repackage into 20/30 blades -vs- 7 in a dispenser?
The Schick Proline, Injector and Injector II blades distributed in Japan are made in USA, by Personna/Accutech.

Yellow package Injectors are made in China.

Top Bottom