What's new

Shaving Folklore and Whisker Grain; a Kid with LEGOS

So... This is my first thread I've started on the Forum here, and the story starts when i was maybe 6, when I did my first "shave"
I would build a razor out of LEGOS, goo up my face, and practice. I would always "shave" downward on one side and across on the other, because I'm a curious person and I wanted to figure out which technique was better.
Fast Forward to my adult years, now that I actually have whiskers, and the d*** things grow vertical on one side of my face and horizontal on the other! I compensate for this by shaving diagonally ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works pretty good for me.
But I have 2 questions for you experts:
1. Does shaving technique affect how your whiskers grow (i.e. did i do this to myself at age 6)
2. Will I be able to change my facial hair, over time, to be more symmetrical?
TNS

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. I once asked my barber the same questions. His answers were:

1. No, and

2. No

Aw, @xxvaleria that just seems like the cynical 19th century way of explaining things! (I'm looking at you, Teddy)
btw I googled valeria because i thought maybe your username is from the plant also known as "garden heliotrope" and all the results are pretty little women...
As I said, I'm a curious person:w00t:

Fast Forward to my adult years, now that I actually have whiskers, and the d*** things grow vertical on one side of my face and horizontal on the other! I compensate for this by shaving diagonally ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works pretty good for me.
Well, you're not the first to try that. :thumbsup:
proxy.php

Welcome to B&B.
1. Does shaving technique affect how your whiskers grow (i.e. did i do this to myself at age 6)
I'm no expert but no and no to the two questions. The hair follicles below the skin determine which direction your hair grows.

Actually, yes. The LEGOS are responsible. You did it to yourself. At age six. It was an unfortunate mistake with sad consequences. Nothing to be done, really.

Nah. Pretend shaving did not alter your beard pattern. It is what it is. LOL

:)

Yea, I also agree with the above comments, nothing you can do to your beard to change it, on the other hand, I have experienced (others too) that the grain might change in some areas like the neck or jaw line, but if that happens be sure it had nothing to do with how you shave, beards some times have a mind of their own!

btw I googled valeria because i thought maybe your username is from the plant also known as "garden heliotrope" and all the results are pretty little women...

They were also very tough men. The 20th Legion "Valiant and Victorious" (Legio XX Valeria Victrix ) was one of the legions that fought against the Boudiccan revolt and was one of the last legions to depart Britain when the Romans pulled out. No pretty little women there.

@John Rose Thanks for the info. But wow those ding dang Gillette products just have gravity on people :o16:
@xxvaleria OK, only one badass woman! (Boudicca) Thanks for your personal details.
Boudicca-9a.jpg

@Macfrommichigan Thanks for the validation hah hah:a17:

I think I'm on my way to fixing this. Only Problem is my whiskers are all haywire at present. See above for details.

@Invicta Thanks for the greet. Is that a Jock Scott? I would so love to experience the run in the place where it all began
art of angling .jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 2
So sad to hear. I wish there was more that honest people could do about stuff like this.
Angling is always some hope, and much disappointment in my experience. One fish can change your life though, that's why fisherman tell tales right? Are you pretty seriously into it? I'd love a bit of facts to look up on. We have some salmo/trout streams in my neck of the woods but they are almost barren by design. Hard rocky streams into Lake Superior.
@Invicta I'm glad you "took the bait" and have opened up a bit about this with me. My first post has become a fishing conversation!

One fish can change your life though, that's why fisherman tell tales right? Are you pretty seriously into it?
I don't know if it is just about tales or the whole experience. "There is more to fishing than catching fish" is an often quoted phrase.
My salmon fishing is very sporadic these last few years and I favoured the river Spey in Scotland; as I said the fish are not there is the same numbers despite the excellent fly fishing water available. Even the seatrout numbers have been decimated. The 540 mile each way trip is not worth it these days.

Thanks a lot. @dmshaver! I'm having fun.
Gotta love The Tramp... Modern Times, The Great Dictator, A Woman of Paris, Shoulder Arms... makes me want to go look for an old films thread

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. I once asked my barber the same questions. His answers were:

1. No, and

2. No

I'm no expert but no and no to the two questions.

Yea, I also agree with the above comments, nothing you can do to your beard to change it

Nah. Pretend shaving did not alter your beard pattern. It is what it is.

Welcome aboard!! Doubt your legos had any lasting effect.

Thanks, All. I'm just looking for a little hope (and maybe an excuse) for my patchy, asymmetric, and difficult facial hair. I was hoping I could do something to improve it and also thought it uncanny that it grows like I "shaved" as a little kid.
Tried a Gillette Nacet blade for the first time today. That gives me some hope :punk:

So... This is my first thread I've started on the Forum here, and the story starts when i was maybe 6, when I did my first "shave"
I would build a razor out of LEGOS, goo up my face, and practice. I would always "shave" downward on one side and across on the other, because I'm a curious person and I wanted to figure out which technique was better.
TNS
welcome to BB... to answer your 2 questions, technical process can be beneficial depending upon few factors. The gear used is one factor. Good razors and products can supplement technique. But the end result of technique is a mental and physical procedure that yields good shave results. It does not influence hair growth patterns or conditions. However shaving with razors are better than using electric razors that only skims off hairs instead of cutting which can produce ingrown hairs that may irritate the skin and give a overall bad shave result.

welcome to BB... to answer your 2 questions, technical process can be beneficial depending upon few factors. The gear used is one factor. Good razors and products can supplement technique. But the end result of technique is a mental and physical procedure that yields good shave results. It does not influence hair growth patterns or conditions. However shaving with razors are better than using electric razors that only skims off hairs instead of cutting which can produce ingrown hairs that may irritate the skin and give a overall bad shave result.
Well that's good. Thanks... Prince? I started with a SR so I can better follow the nuances of my crazy growth pattern. Any suggestions for shaving horizontally across my neck to go WTG? :wink2: I'm also one of those men who is "blessed" with whiskers that grow past me adam's apple... I gave up on shaving for a decade because I got sick of failure! Even the mildest shaving soap burns before I put blade to skin. Any specific suggestions there? I'm still trying new stuff. I've been thinking about giving a safety razor a shot but I'm not too hopeful. Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure I don't have it as bad as some on B&B, but TBH I don't even need a DFS- I'm just looking for ways to not tick off my face. A one-pass shave that passes muster at work, and doesn't cause irritation is all I want. Thanks
TNS

I
I don't even need a DFS- I'm just looking for ways to not tick off my face. A one-pass shave that passes muster at work, and doesn't cause irritation is all I want. Thanks
If that's all you need then I'll suggest a TracII. IMO Gillette's best cart. Then move up to a DE. Less of a learning curve that way.

Top Bottom