What's new

Anyone still love Mama Bears soaps?

What can you tell me about these soaps concerning performance & comparison with the latest artisan soaps?

Are they just as good as far as lather quality--creaminess, slickness, sheen, etc.....?

There are so many scents listed on their site-- I'm interested in "The Club" & some of the cologne type scents.

In my opinion this soap maker flies under the radar far too often.
Great performance, price and customer service.
I would strongly recommend any of Mama Bear's soaps.

I use a menthol mama bear soap that's good. When mixed with proraso menthol cream and a little vegetable glycerin, it's the creamiest, slickest thing I've ever wiped across my face!

Mama Bear Soaps produce a wonderful slick lather with a properly loaded brush. However, they are glycerin-based melt and pour style soaps which IMHO have a narrow ideal range for soap water mix. Too much water vs soap and the lather is foamy and thin, and dissipates too soon.

Mama Bear soaps come in a wide variety of scents. I've tried four:

British Leather -- based on English Leather cologne. Fantastic. Leathery, masculine, not overpowering. A favorite.
Dragon's Blood -- flowery, powdery, strong. Not for me.
Awakenings -- Menthol !!! Wow!!! Too much menthol for most of the year.
Unscented -- truly unscented.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I love Sue's stuff. Alas, since I'm 3017-plowing through a giant block of P160 since early last year, I have not had a chance to go back to one my my many mama Bear pucks.

Here's my order from Nov.2016 to ho along with the ceramic soap dish I already have from her. So yeah, you could say that I live her soaps just a wee little bit. :tongue_sm
full

Just shaved with Mama Bear Bounty this morning. The scent profile and how it works with a glycerin base is very nice.

I agree with rockviper. I added a bit too much water this morning, and there was a bit of lather dissipation and thinning. The lather can be thick if you dial in the water correctly, but I find other vegan or tallow soaps to have much creamier lathers than the Mama Bear glycerin base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its good soap. Probably where MB shines is with all the scent options that you have. A puck of it doesnt seem to last as long for me as other soaps do though.

Sent off an order for some of her smaller discontinued pucks this week. Under $3 for a 1.5 oz puck. Good way to try out her soaps without committing to a large puck. She just couldn't justify making the small pucks in terms of cost and return though many, myself included, like them. She posted on FB that her website has been down today so I would give her a day or two to get things functioning. I could be content to use nothing but her soaps though I have tried many others. If she ever retires I will probably go to Tabac and VDH.

The last MB soap I went through was the Clubman. It is supposed to have a scent like Pinaud Clubman - but I did not detect any scent. However, its performance like all of MB soaps was excellent. Plus, they are a great value.

I like them, especially the menthol ones (Awakenings and Lemon Chill). Being melt and pour, they do take a bit more work to get a creamy lather, but not much and it is plenty slick enough. One nice thing I find with melt and pour is they rinse away cleaner and much easier with my hard water. Tallow really leaves my razors and sink with a lot of soap scum, but when I use Mama Bear's my razors often look cleaner when I finish than when I started.

I used the Awakening soap this morning with Nivea shave stick. I really love the menthol considering it has been around 110 F lately in Dallas.

I remember how much I loved the scents but I haven't used one in awhile. It seems like they've gone up a bit in price.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I tried MB many (it seems like) years ago when I first started DE shaving. Honestly I didn't love it and discovered after using a few others that I'm not a glycerine melt and pour kinda guy.

One of the artisans that helped B&B become what it is today. Her soaps have the best scents and are easy to lather. She made an Oakmoss, Lavender, and Menthol soap for B&B that I still use. plus, I got the regular Oakmoss and Lavender just because. I believe I have about 8 of her soaps in my rotation.

marty

I went through probably three pucks of it years ago, and I liked it fine. The scents are plenty strong and there are lots from which to choose.
Sue is good people, too, which is nice.

After reading this post I dug out my Spellbound Woods for today's shave. Wonderful masculine scent, lathered super easy and produced a thick, rich, creamy lather. Post shave feel leaves nothing to be desired. I just placed an order for 2 more pucks!

I received my first puck 2 days ago and used it yesterday morning (Toasted Coconut). The scent is fantastic. I was able to get a lather going, but it wasn't as thick as most of my other soaps. By the time I got to the third pass the soap started to dissipate.

I probably just need to dial it in better and work with it a little more. I'm going to give it another go over the weekend and I'll update my post.

Top Bottom