What's new

I'm a bit surprised...

I have almost two months wet shaving now. Started with an Edwin Jagger that cut me pretty good the first time I used it, so I grew a fear for it. Then for a couple weeks, I built my muscle memory with a very mild 1974 black handle SS (PIFed to my son recently), trying a few vintage razors, like a 78 Black Beauty, a Super 84 and a K1 Slim adjustable, which is my birth year, eventually settling on a Rockwell 6C with R3 plate.

The Rockwell shaves good, but there is one thing that has annoyed me from day one and is the weight. It feels like is going to fall down from my hand. Even though the knurling is nice and all, but I don't feel like I have a secure enough grip.

Then a funny thing happened. Watching a Kevy Shaves video where he was using a slim adjustable on a high setting, it occurred to me to try it again, but this time dialing it up to setting 6. To my amazement, it was the smoothest shave I've ever had. I'm using Wilkinson Sword made in India blades, which are quickly becoming my favorite blades, nice and smooth.

To make sure it wasn't a one time only thing, I shaved last night, with a two-day growth, and it was exactly the same experience. The knurling on this razor is the best of all the razors I own, and it really feels secure in my hand. The weight is just perfect for me.

This time, I moved from setting 6 to 4 for the 3rd pass, and it felt really good and smooth, but I felt a bit of tugging under my jawline, so I wonder if I should leave it on 6 for the whole shave. Or maybe bring it back even lower to 2 for the 3rd and pick passes. Don't know. I'll try again tonight, and see how it goes.

So, after all the trying between new and old razors looks like a 52-year-old razor will be my ideal shaver. Quite frankly, if I can shave like that forever, I'm completely sold on it. No need to change anything. Of course, I run a Youtube shaving channel, so I'll keep trying different hardware and software, but looks like I'll be going back to my SA quite frequently.

How do you compare a vintage Gillette adjustable with say a Parker Variant, or a Merkur Progress or Futur? Or any other adjustables?

Not surprised you got a great shave with your Slim, I do regularly with mine. (an I2) If I had to rank favorites it would be my Slim, the my D1 Flare Tip Super Speed then my M1 Black Handle Super Speed.

No experience with modern adjustable razors though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IMHO with just a few months wet shaving you should always be using one generic shaver (like a Merkur 34c), one brand blade, and seriously focus on your technique.

Too many variables, you'll never get a baseline technique down.

IMHO with just a few months wet shaving you should always be using one generic shaver (like a Merkur 34c), one brand blade, and seriously focus on your technique.

My experience agrees with this assessment. BUT, it was sooo hard not to experiment with other razors, other blades, soaps, and brushes. I get it, but didn't live it! However, six months into traditional shaving is when I discovered the Slim seen in my current avatar. Two years later, it is still the best razor for me. I have tried other Gillettes (most of which I liked), some modern (Fatips and the Rockwell 6C) and always come back to the Slim. It just works for me, and works with all my blades, albeit some are much better than others, and some last longer than others. Maybe take a "baby step" and try shaving for 7 days straight with the Slim and one brand of blade, one brush, one soap. Or if daring, make it a month. Really learn the razor, how it works for you and how it works with your other hardware/software.

Glad you found one that really speaks to you!

You might be right, although the Slim on 6 seems like the one right now.

My experience agrees with this assessment. BUT, it was sooo hard not to experiment with other razors, other blades, soaps, and brushes. I get it, but didn't live it! However, six months into traditional shaving is when I discovered the Slim seen in my current avatar. Two years later, it is still the best razor for me. I have tried other Gillettes (most of which I liked), some modern (Fatips and the Rockwell 6C) and always come back to the Slim. It just works for me, and works with all my blades, albeit some are much better than others, and some last longer than others. Maybe take a "baby step" and try shaving for 7 days straight with the Slim and one brand of blade, one brush, one soap. Or if daring, make it a month. Really learn the razor, how it works for you and how it works with your other hardware/software.

Glad you found one that really speaks to you!
Exactly my experience. I tried really hard and didn't change a thing for two full weeks, and then started making only one change at a time, and I still do, mostly for my videos, but never change two things, since if something doesn't go well, I'll never know what was it.

And I haven't really tried different blades much, I started with Personna blue for the first month and a half, and since the Wilkinson Sword arrived, a couple weeks ago, I've been using them all the time, and they do feel better and smoother, although the Personna are great blades too.

Definitively I'll be shaving with the slim for the coming days, non-stop. It just feels so comfortable and safe in my hand, that I don't want to shave with anything else. And it was definitively the higher setting since I tried the slim a couple times, but never went above 3, and never felt this good.

I have a couple question for you:

Do you set and forget, or change the setting depending on the pass?
Where did you get that revamp done? Love the black color with gold details.

I have a couple question for you:

Do you set and forget, or change the setting depending on the pass?
Where did you get that revamp done? Love the black color with gold details.

It depends on the day and the time between shaves. Most work days I drop one setting on the second pass (I am a two pass plus touch ups on neck kind of shaver). If only 12-15 hours since last shave, I set lower than normal and do an easy 1 or 2 pass shave. And some days, set and forget! It is one of the reasons I love the Slim, after how it feels both in my hand and on my face.

Here is how it looked off the the 'bay:
closed head s-l1600.jpg inside view s-l1600.jpg side view s-l1600.jpg

I had it done up in black chrome and copper by Delta Echo Razor Works:
inside after.jpg Slim side.jpg

I recently acquired two more Slims, one the same year and quarter as my first, and one just because it was so shiny. I have been surprised that all three shave slightly differently from each other, but fairly close. A year ago, I got to use my nephew's '63 Slim (mine is a '64), and it was more aggressive than mine by 2 settings. For example, I start at 6, and his razor had to be set to 4 to get the same feel. I did one pass at 6 on his and felt like I was almost skinned alive!
But I digress. My point was that I love the Slim so much that I went looking for one identical to the one I have, and I plan to have it replated. I just need to have both a refinished and a replated Slim! And a back up, for travel, or in case of a shave Apocalypse!

I like the discipline you mention, changing only one thing at at time. I can't tell you how many times that first six months something went wonky and I had no real good idea why because I'd changed two or more variables!

I seem to be able to handle the Slim on just about any setting. The Futur scares me even on some of the lowest settings. Tried it few times and gave it to my father who seems to not have a problem with it. The biggest problem I had with the Futur was head shaving.

I get great shaves too, although I have very few shaves with it and only used one balde so far in it. What surprised me during these shaves is that Slim has a lot of blade feeling for me. It certainly requires a different angle like the one I am used with my other main razor, a Fatip Grande.

Rock solid advice - common sense, but worth repeating every now and then. :thumbsup:
It's hard to be patient when you're just starting, but getting your technique dialed in and that "baseline" is the key.

It depends on the day and the time between shaves. Most work days I drop one setting on the second pass (I am a two pass plus touch ups on neck kind of shaver). If only 12-15 hours since last shave, I set lower than normal and do an easy 1 or 2 pass shave. And some days, set and forget! It is one of the reasons I love the Slim, after how it feels both in my hand and on my face.

Here is how it looked off the the 'bay:
View attachment 876533 View attachment 876534 View attachment 876535

I had it done up in black chrome and copper by Delta Echo Razor Works:
View attachment 876537 View attachment 876538

I recently acquired two more Slims, one the same year and quarter as my first, and one just because it was so shiny. I have been surprised that all three shave slightly differently from each other, but fairly close. A year ago, I got to use my nephew's '63 Slim (mine is a '64), and it was more aggressive than mine by 2 settings. For example, I start at 6, and his razor had to be set to 4 to get the same feel. I did one pass at 6 on his and felt like I was almost skinned alive!
But I digress. My point was that I love the Slim so much that I went looking for one identical to the one I have, and I plan to have it replated. I just need to have both a refinished and a replated Slim! And a back up, for travel, or in case of a shave Apocalypse!

I like the discipline you mention, changing only one thing at at time. I can't tell you how many times that first six months something went wonky and I had no real good idea why because I'd changed two or more variables!

Just beautiful. Mine came in a pretty good condition. A bit dull, but nothing that a little bit of flitz couldn't cure. I did have to buff it down a bit with a brass brush at first and remove some of the adhered grime, and then a regular toothbrush, but it's looking fine right now. I'm tempted to have it replated to maybe rhodium but is pretty expensive stuff. At least at razor emporium. I'll check Delta Echo.

Just beautiful. Mine came in a pretty good condition. A bit dull, but nothing that a little bit of flitz couldn't cure. I did have to buff it down a bit with a brass brush at first and remove some of the adhered grime, and then a regular toothbrush, but it's looking fine right now. I'm tempted to have it replated to maybe rhodium but is pretty expensive stuff. At least at razor emporium. I'll check Delta Echo.
I am replating mine with Chris at RazorPlate dot com. Price for nickel seems more than reasonable!
And I do like just getting a vintage, cleaning like you did, and shave away, enjoying the shave!

I am replating mine with Chris at RazorPlate dot com. Price for nickel seems more than reasonable!
And I do like just getting a vintage, cleaning like you did, and shave away, enjoying the shave!

Ahh, just shaved again, same blade, same everything, and it felt like a baby kissing my face. What a close and comfortable shave. Since I had only 24 hours of stubbles I dialed it down to #5, with 2 and a half passes.
I'm sold.

Chris charged me $55 for the nickel replate of my '62 Slim. I had to spend some cash to mail it to him, and he sent it back Priority Mail; so all told, about $65.

I've never gone above 7 on mine. For a long time, the first year or more with it, I did 1 for the first pass, 3 for the second, and 5 for the final touchup. Since reading here I've been doing the reverse, and it works better and I have much less chance of nicks or irritation.

I shaved with a FB and Slim exclusively for 50+ years - before joining B&B. My first new razor purchase after joining B&B was a Progress that was converted into a Mergress. Much to my surprise, I found the Mergress to be smoother than the FB or Slim. The FB and Slim give me a good shave - just not as good as the Mergress. FYI, my current setting on the FB and Slim is 6 to 7 and on the Mergress razors is 3 or 3+. I happen to like a heavier razor so the Rockwell works well for me. I use the 4 plate to get a smooth shave.

Top Bottom