What's new

Sea Hunt with lloyd Bridges.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I was having a chat with some work colleagues over a coffee today and the subject of TV shows from your childhood came up. We talked about shows that you had to watch everyday or whenever they were on the television. One that I had to watch when I got home from school in the 1970's was Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges. I think it was aired at 4pm and I just had to watch it. Does anyone remember Sea Hunt?

It still airs here early in the morning on MeTV. Absolutely amazing how crystal clear everything is underwater! Funny how the majority of the show consisted of Lloyd Bridges narrating all the action. "My ankle was held firmly by the ship's wreckage. I desperately struggled to free myself with only seconds of air left in my tanks." I liked Lloyd Bridges; hilarious as Izzy Mandelbaum on Seinfeld.

Don

It still airs here early in the morning on MeTV. Absolutely amazing how crystal clear everything is underwater! Funny how the majority of the show consisted of Lloyd Bridges narrating all the action. "My ankle was held firmly by the ship's wreckage. I desperately struggled to free myself with only seconds of air left in my tanks." I liked Lloyd Bridges; hilarious as Izzy Mandelbaum on Seinfeld.

Don
I remember the show dimly from my childhood, and have caught some episodes on MeTV. The narration, I think, gives the show the flavor almost of a documentary, or of a hardboiled private eye story, except that in Sea Hunt we don't get those rhetorical flourishes you find in Raymond Chandler. ("On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husband's necks.")

Bridges had been around for a while when he started this series. The story goes that Gene Roddenberry wanted him to play the Enterprise captain, then renamed Kirk, when Jeffrey Hunter became unavailable for the second pilot. According to the story, Bridges turned him down, not wanting to be typecast the way he had been with Sea Hunt.

Growing up, Sea Hunt was one of my favorite shows. I never missed an episode. It fostered an interest in marine biology. Unfortunately, I was prone to sea sickness, so my pursuit of marine biology was confined to home aquariums,first fresh water and then later salt water.

Over the years, many other hobbies have come and gone; but I have always had at least one aquarium active for the past 57 years, even when I went off to college. I am now down to one salt water tank and one fresh water tank, but will cease once the last inhabitants of those tanks die. It has been a great run, all inspired by LLoyd Bridges and his love for the sea.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen

Don
My favorite Mike Nelson line is, "And then I saw it . . . a moray eel!"

Don

It may be a holdover from the radio show days. Noticed it on some channel airing <i>The Jack Benny Show.</i> You could walk out of the room and tell what was happening just by the dialog.

Never missed it....great show !
sea.jpg
sea2.jpg
sea4.jpg
SEA7.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I was having a chat with some work colleagues over a coffee today and the subject of TV shows from your childhood came up. We talked about shows that you had to watch everyday or whenever they were on the television. One that I had to watch when I got home from school in the 1970's was Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges. I think it was aired at 4pm and I just had to watch it. Does anyone remember Sea Hunt?
Yep but you were watching reruns. I remember watching when it started I 1958. I was completely enthralled! I visit a school friend in Alexandria VA every year and his cable has an “old TV” channel and we watch Sea Hunt and Twilight Zone.

I remember using some of that Voit stuff. Long before they figured out how to bond woven nylon cloth to one side and make it easier to get in and out of a 1/4 inch suit.

While I remember Sea Hunt; I think it was how I developed an exaggerated sense of fear for the Moray, the show I really wanted to watch was "Flipper." Hey, I was a kid back then! Dang, I wanted that trihull day cruiser. (Well, the whole life actually, but somehow a California lifestyle blocked out the Florida one.)

@Black Adder Yep, soft red ones, tether balls, and kick balls. Dodge ball was a lot more fun with the red ones vice the kick balls. Strange how companies you'd think had been forever would stay that way.

I remember Sea Hunt.. Great show and I don't mean the reruns... I didn't see it often enough.
My dad used to call it the Cistern to match the Western....

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Meh. He had nothing on Diver Dan.

What's better than a fish smoking a cigarette?

Top Bottom