What's new

Double Watch Winder

Good Day Gents,

I recently aquired another automatic watch and now have a total of 3 so i want to wear one for say a few days then switch so thinking a winder is in order and thats the rub, I have seen them for as little as $100 and as much as $1000 so with that said what is a good brand to lean towards that will hold at least two and have adjustable TPD count if that's necessary and also have bidirectional rotation.

CHIYODA Automatic Double Watch Winder with Two Quiet Mabuchi Motors, LCD Digital Touch Screen
I found this one at Amazon. Seems to hit the points you are interested in. I've only had mine since the beginning of the month. Good luck in your hunt!

Depending on how complicated your watches are, it may be a better idea to buy a nice storage box which can also hold jewellery rather than a winder. Setting and winding a 3 hand watch with date only takes a minute.

Should you have your heart set on a winder, Orbita make a fantastic range of products (not cheap, but great quality).

Well i have googled myself to death and looked and Wolf, Barrington on the high end and Olymbros and Chiyoda or the lower end and everything in between so now I am totally confused with all the choices.

well, disposable income is a personal choice. the Chiyoda appears to have good cabinet work, thought out controls and winding motions. durability is a wildly unknown parameter so I can't say. I'm thinking I'm looking at LP turn tables back in the '70's trying to find the biggest bang for what was then a mid range market placement. In my case, if it happens that this one fails immediately after end of warranty I'll just have to put up with letting the auto winder only watch I have wake up over the first day I wear it before setting time and date.

One caution I have seen written is that some winders can be a little noisy. That depending on one's sensitivity you may not want a winder on the bedside table or anywhere close to your bed. I understand their benefit but since a mechanical watch needs to be reset regularly anyway I have never bothered looking into one.

One caution I have seen written is that some winders can be a little noisy. That depending on one's sensitivity you may not want a winder on the bedside table or anywhere close to your bed. I understand their benefit but since a mechanical watch needs to be reset regularly anyway I have never bothered looking into one.

From my limited research most middle to high end winders have a rest/reset period that allows the mainspring to wind down some, like Wolf for example will run it's cycle for 6 hrs then rest/reset for 16, others I am sure do the same and pretty much all makers suggest running it on the lowest TPD setting to keep the watch going, it's advised to set it for bi-directional rotation with the lowest setting ( most are 650 TPD ) and put your fully wound watch on it and let it run it's cycle for 2 days and check to see if it's running with correct time and if not then increase the TPD setting and keeping going with running CW/CCW/Bi-Directional settings until you find the setting that works, Orbita has a pretty extensive database of settings for watches.

A winder I think serves several purposes, one is of course keeping you watches wound if you choose to use one and the second id displaying them, kinda like razor and brush holders.

Top Bottom