What's new

Recommendations for a custom blade

I have been shaving with a GD 208 for over a year now and want to upgrade to a big boy blade. Birthday is around the corner and want to spoil myself.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I was looking at getting a square tip grim blade with carbon fiber scales. I'm still on the fence with it, but feel I'll trust b&b. However I am addicted to their smolder smell.

Scratch that, imma look at Jerry Stark razors. Local AZ and seems great quality/service.

However I will still take recommendations for a good smelling preshave oil, soap, and aftershave.

I have 4 Jerrys now, and I recommend choosing the 52100 steel instead of the D2. His "extra hollowed" 7/8 is my favorite. He has 2 types of 6/8 "extra hollowed": normal, and 15 degree bevel. Choose no thumb notch, and add jimps.

While Jerry is amazing at grinding a razor, I am not fond of his honing, so I have chosen to re-hone each one from scratch. If you are not happy with your razor, he will do everything to make it right.

As far as soaps go, I've been using MWF for 8 years now, so I'm the wrong person to ask.

Pre-shave oil: Amazon.com: L'Occitane Cade Shaving Oil for Men, 1 fl. oz.: L'Occitane: Luxury Beauty
After shave: Amazon.com: L'Occitane L'OCCITAN After Shave Balm, 2.5 fl. oz.: Luxury Beauty

Have fun

Look into a Brian Brown or build your own Korat.

The full hollow grind on both of these blades is just top, top notch.

Am I the only one to think this is a somewhat strange proposition?

To me, going from GD 208 directly to custom razor is like going from a beat-up Chevrolet Spark directly to a Porsche 911 Turbo.

I have several (3 Livis and 1 Koraat) custom straight razors in my collection, but none of them features in my "Top 10", as - truth be told - Austs, Wackers, Friodurs that I restored, and some other vintage razors from the late 1800's/early 1900's give me a better shave. In fact, one particular custom razor (that I have by now disposed off) stands out as my worst newly bought razor ever as it NEVER provided a satisfactory shave and was in fact declared "junk" by a different razor manufacturer whom I had asked for advice.

In a nutshell; the lesson I learned is that a custom razor does not necessarily equal a better shave.

If I had only a single GD and I wanted to move into the realm of quality straight razors, I would stick to one of the brands mentioned above (there are more) and hold off with my first custom straight razor until a later date.

This way I might even get two excellent razors for the price of a single custom straight.

By no way do I want to talk you out of buying a custom razor as your second razor if that's your heart's desire.
Just for me, I would choose differently.

Good luck.

B.

Top Bottom