What's new

Most overrated and unnecessary shaving products?

Lists of "overrated" and "underrated" things. :laugh:

They're both highly subjective and all that really matters is what works for the individual regardless of what others think of them. Everyone's beard, skin, water, etc isn't the same so just because one doesn't see the benefit of X doesn't mean that others can't possible see the benefit of X.

+1.

I know this is hearsay to some... but I think a great deal of even the finest shaving products are overrated and unnecessary.
They're both highly subjective matters. Everyone's beard, skin, water, etc isn't the same. Just because one doesn't see the benefit of X doesn't mean that others cannot possibly see a benefit. If you can get by with less then enjoy the savings.

There certainly tends to be a lot of focus on equipment and supplies but that's the nature of any field of interest. Shiny new stuff is going to be what most find to be interesting to discuss.

2. Soaps and Creams. Yes, this is truly heresy, I know. But this morning I got an exquisite shave with regular bar soap that had been pounded into a 1967 Old SPice shave soap bowl. I believe its really all about technique, and with great tecnigue and just a couple of good tools, you can get great shaves with the lamest soap or cream. Okay, canned foam might be pushing it, but even just slightly better quality gel will do fine. If I had a free and unlimited supply of Trumpers, Taylor's, or Trufitt and Hill, I'd use them for sure. But the fact is I don't need them.
I've almost never had problems lathering any soap but there are soaps out there that just aren't suited to shaving.

How is canned foam pushing it? Barbasol is fairly well regarded around here.

Again, don't conflate "I don't need" with "no one needs".

3. DE blades. I do great with cheap "Derbys". I don't need to search the world over for the sharpest, smoothest, laser cut blades. Like I said, technique trumps everything.
I don't do great with Derbys. I've more than given Derbys their fair chances. Same thing about not assuming what works best for you applies here.

Many do tend to simply assume that sharper means better and that's not necessarily the case but that doesn't mean that Derbys are best suited to everyone.

4. "Shaving Clubs" for cheaper cartridge blades... C'mon guys, just try and DE and you'll never go back!
..and here too. DE's aren't for everyone just as carts aren't for everyone. It's up to each to find what works best for the individual.

Last edited:
I think the OP's fundamental point - which got a bit obscured - is spot on: no amount of products will compensate for an inadequate technique.

As to *which* products are the best, the response will always be highly subjective. There are no absolute right or wrong answers; only answers that are right or wrong for you.

I can get a good shave from $0.80 stick of Arko, an $18 shave ready Gold Dollar 66 (or a $10 GEM G-bar or other SE with GEM PTFE Blades), and a $6 Ecotools Bamboo Finishing Kabuki Brush. In fact, I shaved with Arko, an SE, and the Kabuki for a long time.

I personally don't find pre-shaves useful. However, I shower with decent soap (something made from saponified oils) as a preshave and I have oily skin. I do use an exfoliating scrub in the shower a few times per week as part of my pre-shave routine.

I've tried shaving with every bath soap I use, and also saddle soap. The only one that I was able to make a decent lather with was Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap. Everything else was too thin and watery or too dry and full of large bubbles. I was able to shave with some of the thin and watery lathers, but they didn't provide as much comfort as a shaving soap or cream.

Technique matters. It matters an awful lot. I can get a nice 2-pass CCS with almost any soap and a decently sharp blade. I can even make it work without a brush if I have 24 hours or more of growth to rub the soap on. Minimalist shaves can work and provide good results. However, I'm much happier when I have a straight razor, a brush, a nicely scented soap or cream, and an aftershave.

I used to have a beard. If I didn't enjoy shaving as much as I do, then I'd probably just regrow it. Having decent shave gear and different things to try keeps it from being a boring routine.

Technique first, product second. Ultimately, what do you really need to get a good shave? A razor/blade, something to lather up with and something post shave, if you break it down to the essentials.

The razor and blades used, soap (with or without brush) , brush and post shave products are all personal preference.

Mine happensure to be shower, quickly do my hair, re-moisten with a wash rag lather up and shave. It's a little more involved than when I first started because of shaving soap and brush versus can of whatever I was using at the time. Even when I used carts. I used for many years either a Senor Excel or a Shick Tracer. Two blade carts.

I vaguely remember a flirtation with a injector razor. That would have been in the 70's probably. Edge gel most of my shaving life.

Beyond a certain point some things become luxuries. But without at least decent techniques you are just throwing good money after bad...

I'm on the pretty minimal side and that keeps me happy. When I started back to DE I got a few soaps and creams to try out, a lot of blades, a few brushes but after a couple of years I found most of them worked pretty well, I didn't feel any were outstanding enough to be must haves to give me a great shave so I decided on to just go with what is cost effective and works. It is whare I am at today, just the basics. Use what you need and give the rest to someone who can enjoy it.

If having a enough razors in your rotation to only take them out 6 times a year and enough soap and blades to last a lifetime with scuttles to match than go for it. I am ok with it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Oh, the most overrated product. Shave oil as a pre-shave I guess. I could never see the point. I tried it a few times and just felt it got in the way of the soap.

Just sayin

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Overrated and unnecessary? Man, who called the fun police? I'm not a preshave oil guy, but you'll have to rip my scented soaps and big, honking boar brushes from my cold, dead hands.

Anything that exceeds such a "cheap and cheerful" basic wet shaving equipment might be considered unnecessary or overrated:

proxy.php

A cheap synthetic brush, a Wilkinson Classic razor, some blades and some cheap shaving cream is all that is required for a clean daily shave.

They say, however, that your mileage may vary. Mine does for certain! :biggrin1:

Overrated and unnecessary are two different things. Frankly, unnecessary is any thing over one razor, one brush, and one soap. Overrated is strictly opinion. One person might believe anything above a $15 boar brush is overrated because a $15 boar brush works. There is indeed a difference in all this stuff and one has to research and try them out to realize that difference. Overrated depends on the person, their income, their values, and what they are looking to achieve. Unnecessary is anything beyond the basics that accomplish the job.

I wet shaved almost my entire life. But it was always with a disposable or a cartridge. Some of those worked better than others. I realized I wanted a different shave and started looking at straights and DE shaving. With the budget I had I was able to get a tub of Proraso white and a cheap brush from Sally's (avoid). I immediately noticed a better shave. As that brush began to disintegrate I purchased two new brushes. I continued to use my Mach 5 carts. I still couldn't convince my wife to allow me to splurge on a DE or straight but I was looking to reduce my cost and found a shave club worked and by going bi-monthly since I don't shave daily. Finally this Father's Day I was able to get a DE it came with two different blades, an alum block, a shave cream and shave towel.

The Derby blades leave me irritated, more weepers and not so close shave every time. The Gillette blue is great. The shave towel just add an extra step but I find that I like it. The alum block stings like crazy but I feel it does help with razor burn.

In the end you just need to find what works and within your budget. I would still love to try a straight one day and I will be buying another sample pack of blades to see what really works for me.

Like a lot of you I both agree and disagree with parts of the OP. We don't see YMMV getting mentioned all over the place for nothing. And all of us that have adopted DE shaving or straights have done it for our own reasons. Some because they have always shaved that way and that's all they know. Some because cartridges irritate their skin terribly. Some to save money. I switched to both save money and save my face (although some would probably say my face can't be saved but that is another topic altogether). As I got more experienced with DE shaving I decided to explore different products, not because of need but because of want. Did it take away from the money saving aspect of traditional wet shaving? Perhaps. But it became a hobby which I enjoy thoroughly. Trying new razors, brushes, blades, soaps, aftershaves, all that stuff has made it an interesting hobby. Did I expect it to become that when I began? Nope. But that's where the path took me and I love it. And even though I like to try different products there still some that I find don't make a difference for me or seem overpriced. Some stick to a minimalist approach and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Investing in a bunch of products isn't essential to enjoy the benefits of traditional shaving. Some of us just choose to do it as part of our hobby.

The British economist Alfred Marshall expressed the idea behind YMMV elegantly:

"Utility is taken to be correlative to Desire or Want. It has been already argued that desires cannot be measured directly, but only indirectly, by the outward phenomena to which they give rise: and that in those cases with which economics is chiefly concerned the measure is found in the price which a person is willing to pay for the fulfillment or satisfaction of his desire."

Use what ever makes you feel good. I attribute my baby face soft skin to using my own pre-shave oil (1/3 ex virgin olive oil, 1/4 castor oil and about 10 drops of sandalwood fragrance ) Keep my skin soft for 79 years or at least for the last 50 years.
A good razor good blades and what ever makes you happy soap is all you need.
If having all the bells and whistles is your thing, go for it. If being a miser makes you tick, well that's good to.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Fun discussion. I see a lot of what I agree with which is "live and let live . . . Laissez faire, etc." We all have our own lives and motives for doing what we do. In life in general I'd like to see more of "This is my approach and let me tell you why" rather than "You are wrong because xxxx yyyy zzzzz". My wife is a teacher. Kindergarten to grade 5. The Dr. Seuss story about Sneetches comes to mind just now. And if you have not read it to your kids or grand kids . . . look it up.

Thank you for attending my unwanted or needed lecture.

Glad to know that I'm not alone for a change. I completely agree that a lot of pre-shave products are very overpriced. I was naive when I started out and I fell for the marketing, purchasing some rather overpriced oil that I ended up not liking very much. Later, I discovered how easy it is to make your own oil at home.

Now I just stick to creams and I wouldn't say that they are overpriced. Can I get a good shave without them? I've certainly managed to do so a few times, but using a good cream allows for a little more margin of error, which is especially useful when I'm in a rush. I also find that pre-shave creams are much cheaper than oils on the market despite having fancier packaging and coming in larger quantities, so I don't mind spending the extra dough. Also when it comes to pre-shave, whether it be an oil or a cream, a little goes a long way so a single bottle or tub should last a considerable amount of time.

I don't guess I would say they are useless. I would just say that they don't make a difference to my shaving experience. If they didn't make a difference to other people's shaving experience I don't think they would be selling tons of it.

I get the OP's sentiment that you don't need to spend lots, but disagree on blades. My stubble needs sharper blades, if they weren't available I'd go back to my fusion.

Hey, it's a hobby. I have some high-priced products that I regret and some about which think very highly. I have some low-priced products that are great as well. But I don't think there's much point in a blanket dismissal of broad classes of product that have a real purpose or benefit, such as scuttles, because one is happy without them.

No matter the forum, every shaver everywhere seems to unanimously agree that pre-shave is useless and a total waste of money. I wholeheartedly disagree. These types of comments made me feel stupid initially for using something that is deemed such a complete waste, but pre-shaves make a pretty big difference for me. I'm not a fan of pre-shave oil, but pre-shave cream helps me out tremendously for the sake of moisturizing my otherwise dry skin. Dragging a razor across freshly washed skin that has just been stripped of natural oils in the shower doesn't do any favors for me.

Of course a cheap cream could work just as well as a designated pre-shave balm, provided that the cream is greasy enough. Companies claim that pre-shave helps with allowing the razor to glide across the skin, but that isn't exactly the case for me. The true benefit comes from moisturizing my skin and reducing friction enough to prevent extreme razor burn.

As for all of the other points, some individuals introduce variety into their shaves because it turns an otherwise tedious and uninteresting task into sort of a fun game that involves getting the closest shave with the least irritation and the best post-shave feel. I've absolutely hated shaving since day one but after switching to traditional shaving, I look forward to it each day. Sometimes that means introducing unnecessary components into my routine like fancy soaps or superfluous post-shave balms and splashes, but it keeps me engaged enough and motivated to continue practicing my technique so that I can get consistently close shaves with zero pain afterward.

After all, we must all be a little overly interested in what should otherwise be a straightforward and simple daily routine since we are all on a forum for discussing shaving. It's fun to try different blades and soaps, and subsequently share our findings with others.

I have never said that Pre Shave Oils are useless. I say - if you've tried it and like what a preshave oil does for you, then by all means keep doing it. What I have (for years on this forum!) argued passionately against, is the need to purchase a dedicated PSO made by some company. Even PSOs made by companies that manufacture other great shave products are a waste. These people are robbing you. All you need is Extra Virgin Olive Oil and is does great. It actually does a better job than those tiny containers of PSO and it costs 2 cents a shave.

To the OP.........I get what you are saying and that's all personal prefrence.

Just like your preference to drive a car opposed to riding a bike or watching a color tv as opposed to a black and white tv.

If getting by cheaply is what you like and it works, GREAT!!!

I wouldn't say it's a waste of money for everyone though.

What works for one, doesn't work for all.

To each their own I say.

I mean absolutely no disrespect.

None taken my good man!

Top Bottom