What's new

Shave sticks for traveling

I use a stadium cup to hold the hot water. You stick the razor into the water and do the whip and the nae-nae to clean off the soap. I find simply rinsing under the tap isn't as effective with tallow soaps.

My mind runs wild with the possibilities of what this could mean! :w00t: Can someone translate? :thumbup1:

Thanks to the all for the comments on the need for more water - no doubt that will help a lot on the next trip.

Has anyone tried the soap stick from The Shaving Den?

Karl

I've been using Tabac stick and it works very well. When it finally runs out (and I use at home sometimes too) I'll try a D.R. Harris stick since I like their bowl soaps.

I've found sticks a lot better than tubes of cream on the road.

I just took a trip and packed an Arko shave stick to save room while packing. It worked pretty well but I found that it left a heavy residue on my blade. It was so heavy that I had to remove the blade several times per pass to wipe off the goo (I was shaving with an SE and the gap between the blade and the guard kept getting clogged.)

So, I liked the convenience of the stick but didn't like the Arko's residue (and, of course, the smell was funky.) With that in mind, what do others suggest for a good shave stick that might not clog up the razor as quickly. Of course I recognize that YMMV applies here. Has anyone used the Shave Stick product from The Shaving Den?

Thanks everyone :thumbup1:

Karl

Last time I traveled I used a QED shave stick. It isn't as hard as an Arko stick. There are probably other shave sticks out there that aren't rock hard like an Arko stick. I lathered my brush with the stick and then applied to my face. I can't get three passes from rubbing the stick on my face.

I just finished a month away and I was fine just using a tube of inexpensive cream like Erasmic - works great in hard water places like Paris, Munich or Vienna.

You can also try rubbing less soap onto you face before beginning to lather. You don't need (or at least I don't ) more than a relatively thin film of soap to make a really nice lather. Unless you're a 3017er who likes to obliterate soaps in record fashion.

I'd like to bring a stick with me to Rome, Italy...and I believe the water there is "hard"...can you recommend a stick that should work well, give good performance, etc.?

Thanks

I'd like to bring a stick with me to Rome, Italy...and I believe the water there is "hard"...can you recommend a stick that should work well, give good performance, etc.?

Arko does very well in hard water — as long as you use enough soap and plenty of water. If you have trouble rinsing or your face feels dry after the shave, use even more water next time.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

Thanks

Something like Wilkinson Sword, Tabac or Speick would work well IMO. If you are really unsure, a shave cream will possibly work good also.

I will put my vote in here for Mystic Waters shave stick. Works well for me in hard water. I mean the kind of hard water where you think of turning the faucet on and you are getting deposits in the sink.

Top Bottom