What's new

Uber Newb here

Hey guys, literally just picked up a DE razor and have ordered bay rum soap off of ebay, i believe from joshua tree soaps. I enjoy the fragrance but am looking for a "manly" smell so I ordered a smokey fragrance from someone on etsy for 4 bucks with shipping, cannot wait to try it out. I also purchased the AOS sandalwood beginner package. Thats the brush I am using, so its probably not up to snuff and a reason I am having trouble with lather. I've been checking the forums for tips on lathering and am going to try putting a bit in a lather cup with a small amount of hot water to really get the lather going. I also made a stand for my razor and brush. I would like to post it and get some feedback. Already have my next design figured out. Just waiting for a better brush, the little guy is sucking up all my disposable income right now.

Welcome to B&B!

I hope you will not be disappointed with the ebay or esty soaps. If you continue to have trouble with the AoS cream, try using twice as much.

Thanks for the advice. I think part of my issue is lathering from the tin.

If you're using AOS cream, you only need a small amount to go a long way. Let the brush soak for a whole (throughout your shower) and just give it one shake when you take it out of the water before applying the cream to start lathering. I use a metal collar stay to easily "scoop" the cream out of the tub and placed it on the brush (2 scoops) and then get going on lathering it up in a bowl. A little bit can generate a lot of later rather quickly.

Hey mate!

Let us know how the new gear works out once it arrives. In the meantime take the opportunity to keep practicing your lather technique. The guys have already identified the very common errors of not enough product/water/both when first making lather.

Visit any of the tutorials in the links below and keep asking questions - we are here to help.

Hi and welcome to B&B! If you haven't done so yet, please post an introduction in our Hall of Fame--it's quick and easy! :thumbup1:

Have fun, happy shaves, and again--WELCOME!

Hi and welcome! If you're looking for a manly scent, I find TOBS Jermyn Street to have almost a cologne-like scent.

Welcome to B&B. Indeed, more product and more water will do the trick for your first lathers. Beat the daylights out of it in a soup bowl; keep at it and you'll have clouds of the stuff. Best wishes.

Welcome!

If this is the soap you are talking about http://www.etsy.com/listing/95073603/bay-rum-and-lime-shaving-soap-with-honey I have purchased it myself. I LOVED the scent... but as someone who knows how to make a lather, and can lather wool fat even, I could not get this soap to lather to save my life. it was a weak and bubbly lather that quickly dissipated. I ended up giving it away and the person who got it couldnt get it to lather either. So if you cant get it to lather, its not you ...its the soap. If you CAN get it to lather, you are my hero :lol:

It's too bad though because as I said, I really liked the scent.

As far as the AOS I usually start with a drier brush (soaked and shaken out) and add a few drops at a time. I find the AOS to be the easiest to lather of all my products.

Good luck on your wet shaving journey :w00t:

Top Bottom