What's new

Gillette Slim Adjustable Won't

Any ideas on the best way to free up the adjustment ring on an old Slim Adjustable?? Thought about brute force, but don't want to damage it. Stuck on 4 now, which is OK, but would like for the adjustable feature to work.

Thanks!!!

JC

Several long soaks in extremely hot water w/ dish soap (i.e., bring to boil, turn off heat, add razor, let soak till water is cool) may free up the mechanism. If that doesn't work, you might try depressing the spring that marks the adjustment point very gently to see if you can free it. If none of that works, you're likely looking at a disassembly to get it going again. I've got one myself that's in that boat, but I haven't gotten around to doing the breakdown yet.

Several long soaks in extremely hot water w/ dish soap (i.e., bring to boil, turn off heat, add razor, let soak till water is cool) may free up the mechanism. If that doesn't work, you might try depressing the spring that marks the adjustment point very gently to see if you can free it. If none of that works, you're likely looking at a disassembly to get it going again. I've got one myself that's in that boat, but I haven't gotten around to doing the breakdown yet.

+1

Try lubricating it too. I use skin so soft 'cause that's what we have closest at hand, but Mineral oil would also work. It only takes a few drops, or or two on all the parts that move.

What he said. I had a FatBoy that wouldn't go to 1. The soaking was the first thing I tried, but noticed that even when I adjusted 2-9, there was no change in the blade platform. I used a paperclip to depress the spring and turned it to 1, now it works like it was supposed to.

Whatever you do, don't force it. After trying soaking, or light oil, try to move the adjuster ring back and forth. I've used a very small spritz of WD-40 (remember, it could take off black numbers). Gently move the ring back and forth, one number or half a number in each direction. Make sure that the TTO doors are open when you do this.

If the adjusting ring moves but the adjuster plate does not, don't force one against the other. Very often it is not the adjuster ring that will not move, but the plate. Again, I've used WD-40 (a very little bit). After everything starts to move, its back to very hot water with soap, followed by Scrubbing Bubbles. Rinse. Repeat.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is any problem with using gun oil on the internal adjustable mechanism?? Seems like it would be a similar kind of mechanical device with spring, bails, interlocks, etc...

Thanks!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Any petroleum bases or aggressive solvent may remove the painted numbers. Other than to free up gunk, no lubrication is generally needed. HOT soapy water and scrubbing bubbles is all that is generally needed. Really tough problems might need ultrasonic cleaning, but that may damage paint and certain plated finishes. Beyond that, disassembly is called for.

I freed a frozen adjustment plate using Windex window cleaner...as soon as the dial will turn, put it on #1 and use the Windex again and work the plate til it moves freely up and down, then a couple drops of mineral oil, and you should be good to go...I don't know if this will affect the numbers or not as mine the numbers were already gone.

Top Bottom