What's new

Razor Life--how often do you change your blades?

Ok, I've been wet shaving for about 6 months now and I love it. It has saved me tons of money and I will NEVER go back to cartridge razors and foam.

I stumbled across an article which discusses how to prolong your razor by drying it out after each shave using various techniques. The article is, of course, referring to cartridge razors but it got me thinking about the shelf life of the types of safety razor blades used by us wet shavers. In my case, I use Merkur blades along with Col. Conk Amber Soap, Kiss My Face, and Proraso Post. I've never been entirely sure when to change the blades so I usually do it about once every month or two. They don't seem to dull as fast as cartridge razors but there doesn't seem to be a sure-fire way of knowing this or not. If there is, I should surely like to know! I should also mention that I do not shave every day--usually every other day. There are also times when I don't shave for a whole week! Adding to the confusion is the fact that the blades are double-sided and I do not always keep track of which side I am using to shave with. I try to flip the razor around every so often so that I am not always just using one side.

Does anyone have any advice on this matter? I imagine that there is no right answer since there are so many variables that play into the equation. Different strokes for different folks if you will. So how often do you folks change your blades? What determines when and how often you change them?:001_unsur

Last edited:
Ok, I've been wet shaving for about 6 months now and I love it. It has saved me tons of money and I will NEVER go back to cartridge razors and foam.

I stumbled across and article which discusses how to prolong your razor by drying it out after each shave using various techniques. The article is, of course, referring to cartridge razors but it got me thinking about the shelf life of the types of safety razor blades used by us wet shavers. In my case, I use Merkur blades along with Col. Conk Amber Soap, Kiss My Face, and Proraso Post. I've never been entirely sure when to change the blades so I usually do it about once every month or two. They don't seem to dull as fast as cartridge razors but there doesn't seem to be a sure-fire way of knowing this or not. If there is, I should surely like to know! I should also mention that I do not shave every day--usually every other day. There are also times when I don't shave for a whole week! Adding to the confusion is the fact that the blades are double-sided and I do not always keep track of which side I am using to shave with. I try to flip the razor around every so often so that I am not always just using one side.

Does anyone have any advice on this matter? I imagine that there is no right answer since there are so many variables that play into the equation. Different strokes for different folks if you will. So how often do you folks change your blades? What determines when and how often you change them?:001_unsur

If you a getting a "month or two" out of your blades and they are cutting your beard (not pulling the hairs out :scared:) , I believe you are getting considerable longer blade life than most here.

Actually, blades cost so little that you can just can them when you feel them not to be at their peak level. Now this will differ with each shaver, and its something you'll have to determine yourself. I just can mine after 4 shaves, whatever blade I'm using. Its really not worth it to risk an uncomfortable shave by trying to get that "one more shave" out of a blade.

You'll just have to find that "get rid of it" time through your own trial and error. :thumbup1: :laugh: :biggrin1:

The best way is to trust your face to tell you when it's not working well enough. Don't hesitate to toss it in the middle of a shave if there's any doubt.

Ok, I've been wet shaving for about 6 months

It has saved me tons of money

I find this hilarious....wait another couple of months when the AD's kick in.

As for how long blades last; most of the time about a week (6-7 shaves); however, ever so often I come across one that seems to last 2-3 weeks. Conversely, every so often I come across a blade that I toss out during the shave, because it's so bad. So long as you're getting a comfortable shave, and the razor is not tugging, pulling, or causing irritation then go for it.

Last edited:
Shave with a 34C and a feather, change the blade after my 4th shave is complete. Have gotten up to 6 with a single blade however for the price i'd rather have a sharpie in there.

I find this hilarious....wait another couple of months when the AD's kick in.

As for how long blades last; most of the time about a week (6-7 shaves); however, ever so often I come across one that seems to last 2-3 weeks. Conversely, every so often I come across a blade that I toss out during the shave, because it's so bad. So long as you're getting a comfortable shave, and the razor is not tugging, pulling, or causing irritation then go for it.

What do you mean by "AD's"?

3 shaves and it goes in the blade bank, regardless of brand of blade or razor.
If I feel like its not working, I'll switch it out mid-shave.

Last edited:
Thanks! I still had google "Acquisition Disorder" just to see what the hell it was. VERY interesting! Never even considered such a dilemma. I suppose it could happen to anyone but I seem to be perfectly content with my Merkurs for the time being!

AD is relatively new to me, too. I know some musicians and studio engineers who call it "Gear Acquisition Syndrome".

Yes, that's correct.

About 5 shaves then in the blade bank. If you feel the blades not working well; dump it and get another. They are so cheap (read economical) that you don't have to stretch the usage to get your money back like the carts. I use the Dorco blade and they are $.08 a piece! Really, why worry about tossing one? :laugh:

About 5 shaves then in the blade bank. If you feel the blades not working well; dump it and get another. They are so cheap (read economical) that you don't have to stretch the usage to get your money back like the carts. I use the Dorco blade and they are $.08 a piece! Really, why worry about tossing one? :laugh:

I suppose if the Merkur blades were readily available at my local Wal Mart it wouldn't be such an issue. But as of this writing, I probably only have about 20 left which isn't cause for an emergency but definitely a cause for some concern. I have to order them online if I want more and then wait for them to arrive in the mail. That's probably not the worse thing in the world but it would be nice to be able to pick them up at CVS just as easily as you can find William's.

By the way, are there any blades available at any local retail stores which would fit my Merkur safety razor?

Why pay for Merkurs when there are better, less costly blades available?

Red Pack Personnas, bought in bulk run around 11 cents a blade.

Astras are anywhere from 11 to 20 cents a blade.

Yes, you have to order them, but so what?

Why pay for Merkurs when there are better, less costly blades available?

Red Pack Personnas, bought in bulk run around 11 cents a blade.

Astras are anywhere from 11 to 20 cents a blade.

Yes, you have to order them, but so what?

Has anyone done the math on Merkur blades-per cost?

Top Bottom