What's new

Schick injector blade longevity

I shave with a vintage Schick Type G. One of the best razors ever invented IMO. I would like to know from other users how many shaves you get from a blade. I generally change my blade every 10 days. I have started a trial to see how many shaves beyond my usual 10 before I need to change.

I have found longevity depends on the blade. Which one are you using?

I get about 7 shaves with a Personna, mid teens for the current Chinese made Schicks, about 15 to 20 with NOS Schicks (chrome and plus platinum) and Personna blades. The best blade for longevity for me is the Schick Proline B-20. I've gotten over 30 shaves with one.

I have 10 shaves (3+ passes) on one blade. I have another that I’ve lost track of but I think I’ve used it more. Both are still quite usable

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I do a week, then toss, but not because they’ve deteriorated. I just went to another razor. I think @cryhavoc got 22 out of his last Chick.

It depends, of course, on the toughness of one's whiskers. I have coarse whiskers and I do a daily three-pass shave. I only use the Schick "Chinese" blades.

I get at least 12 smooth and close shaves.

BTW my favorite injectors are the Schick Type G and the Pal Injecto-matic, which to me shave identically.

I have found longevity depends on the blade. Which one are you using?

I get about 7 shaves with a Personna, mid teens for the current Chinese made Schicks, about 15 to 20 with NOS Schicks (chrome and plus platinum) and Personna blades. The best blade for longevity for me is the Schick Proline B-20. I've gotten over 30 shaves with one.
I use the Chinese made Schick blades.

Like i said in my OP i am doing a trial to see how many shaves i get out of a Chick blade. I will update when i hit the limit.

Haven't tested the twin yet but I always get around 10-14 shaves with the Schick yellow and personna blades shaving my head and face every shave. I also shave every 2 to 3 days.

A minimum of between 8 and 10 good shaves on average should be anyone's good target realistically.

I have only used the Personna blades with my vintage Schick. 7 or so shaves for me before they start to feel tuggy. I have a coarse, greying beard.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I shave with a vintage Schick Type G. One of the best razors ever invented IMO. I would like to know from other users how many shaves you get from a blade. I generally change my blade every 10 days. I have started a trial to see how many shaves beyond my usual 10 before I need to change.
Good experiment or trial, you will get over 10 for sure but where your ceiling lays will be of interest for you. A few factors that determine your ceiling is pre shave prep, type of beard(light, medium ,heavy growth) and how much face is shaved(beards Goatee, mustache increase life of a blade) I like to do averages so I have a accurate comfort ceiling and 10 shaves works for myself.
Some folks don't care for the Personna injector blades but they are the same steel as the Gem blades that work well for myself. Personna SE blades are the best price per shave of any SE blade I have come across(I have used them all). The Personna SS PTFE blade injector blade is Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely and predictable. Personna has been making blades for 100 years and their steel is formulated to great quality and that is why it outlasts the competition IMO. Nothing wrong with the Schick blades that are Sharp & smooth with good longevity but are priced a lot higher than a Personna blade and I still use my Schicks once in a while. The nice thing about injector blades (Personna & Schick)I can leave them in a injector razor for months(large injector razor rotation) and they do not deteriorate like other SE blades feel like they have.
Anyway @Rusty Blade have some enjoyment with your testing, I always did and still enjoy playing around with different razors and Blades.

There is a new injector 50mm blade Connaught UK "Proshave" I have not tried yet & is a 50mm AC type Platinum coated. Has anyone tried one?
Prosharp.https://connaughtshaving.com/pro24.html

Good experiment or trial, you will get over 10 for sure but where your ceiling lays will be of interest for you. A few factors that determine your ceiling is pre shave prep, type of beard(light, medium ,heavy growth) and how much face is shaved(beards Goatee, mustache increase life of a blade) I like to do averages so I have a accurate comfort ceiling and 10 shaves works for myself.
Some folks don't care for the Personna injector blades but they are the same steel as the Gem blades that work well for myself. Personna SE blades are the best price per shave of any SE blade I have come across(I have used them all). The Personna SS PTFE blade injector blade is Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely and predictable. Personna has been making blades for 100 years and their steel is formulated to great quality and that is why it outlasts the competition IMO. Nothing wrong with the Schick blades that are Sharp & smooth with good longevity but are priced a lot higher than a Personna blade and I still use my Schicks once in a while. The nice thing about injector blades (Personna & Schick)I can leave them in a injector razor for months(large injector razor rotation) and they do not deteriorate like other SE blades feel like they have.
Anyway @Rusty Blade have some enjoyment with your testing, I always did and still enjoy playing around with different razors and Blades.

There is a new injector 50mm blade Connaught UK "Proshave" I have not tried yet & is a 50mm AC type Platinum coated. Has anyone tried one?
Prosharp.https://connaughtshaving.com/pro24.html
I agree. Lots of variables to consider. My experience may not apply to others. I am curious though if I can get more mileage from a Chick.

I use a new Schick injector blade for at least two weeks before I get bored with the razor and set it aside. After that, it's used for touch-ups or the occasional shave when I can't decide which razor to use next. When I want to return the injector razor to my daily routine, I'll insert a new blade. I've gone as long as three weeks of daily shaves with a Schick and it wasn't kaput then, just time to move on.

I use Chinese Schicks and I usually get in the mid teens before I switch blades. My last blade lasted 22 shaves and my current is on 8 and going strong.

I consider myself fairly new to the injector world and the only blades that i've used are - Personnas, Chicks and a single vintage Schick blade made in Holland. I get around 7 shaves from all of them and I can feel the blade becoming slightly dull on the third or forth use, but it's still good for another 3-4 shaves.

I guess at some point I have to try the twin blades and the Proline to see how different they are, but I find the Personnas to be my overall favorite blade, since it's sharper compared to the Chick and also a lot cheaper.

Like with the DE blades, one must try a couple to find out which ones work best for him and from what I see on the forums, lots of people dislike the Personna blades and find them not very sharp, too sharp or just too rough. I find the Chicks to be a bit smoother, but not as sharp as the Personnas. Still a good blade though, it's just that the price isn't :D.

I'm mostly using my M3 type adjustable and I really like it. In fact, I use it more often than most of my DE razors.

Final results -- 10 shaves. I could have cashed in my chips at 9 but managed a 10th shave. I could feel it starting to slip at 8 but kept going. At 10 I felt I was tempting fate, so I ended it there. So it turns out I wasnt that far off with my regular blade change every Sunday or thereabouts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom