What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

Modified Marco Method.

For hard and medium soaps and croaps:

1. Soak your brush in medium hot water for a couple of minutes..

2. Turn your brush upside-down. I usually give a very slight flick of my wrist, but do not shake. Keep most of the water in the brush. You want a nice wet brush.

3. Hold your soap over the shaving (I use the Captain's Choice Copper) bowl, slightly pointed down. Start making swirls on the surface of the soap. You have to proceed slowly, without pressure on the brush. Remember that it's very wet.

4. Heavily load your brush for about 45/60 seconds making around 100/120 swirls. Please keep in mind that the loading time and number of swirls also depend on how big your brush is and how much water it can retain. Try to aim the overflow so it goes into the bowl.

5. After the brush is loaded, get any excess lather from your puck into the bowl, set your puck down, pick up your shaving bowl and begin building your lather in the bowl.

6. Add a few drops of water as needed to get the lather consistency dialed in.

7. Apply the lather to your face.

Note: If you are using soft creams, place an appropriate amount (usually ~1/4 teaspoon) in the center of the bowl. Soak your brush. Partial (small) flick of the wrist. Swirl your wet brush around in the bowl until your lather is the consistency of yogurt.

Full attribution: This is taken from the 'Marco Method' originally posted here:

My lathering technique with Italian soft soaps - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-lathering-technique-with-italian-soft-soaps.199887/

I modified it slightly to suit my preferences.

Hope this helps. :cool:

That's how I lather my puck soaps intuitively. (Sadly that amount of water doesn't always work for softer soaps that I press into the bottom of my bowl, as some are just not that thirsty). However, what I did not do was turning the brush upside down. Tried it yesterday with (soft, pressed in the bowl) Cella, and man what a difference. The soap just exploded. Thanks for the tip!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
That's how I lather my puck soaps intuitively. (Sadly that amount of water doesn't always work for softer soaps that I press into the bottom of my bowl, as some are just not that thirsty). However, what I did not do was turning the brush upside down. Tried it yesterday with (soft, pressed in the bowl) Cella, and man what a difference. The soap just exploded. Thanks for the tip!

You are most welcome, but all credit goes to @Marco - B&B's Man in Italy. 🇮🇹

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It has only one major downside.

That has nothing to do with the performance and everything to do with olfactory issues.

Yes, they're subjective, but keep this stuff far away from me. Across the pond if possible.​
Tabac is a WMD (meme).jpg

Do you guys bloom Tabac?

I sent mine to Canada and advised my friend there to leave it open in his birdbath for several years assuming the birdbath to be outdoors, far from the house, and also assuming a lot of rain. With apologies to the birds.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 230 for 230 = 100%
Mild/Medium Efficiency August
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20210818_135751~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Windsor Pro Mixed Metal CR1
Blade: Kai (3)
Brush: Opal 100 (24mm Best Badger)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Tabac (tallow)
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Tabac

The ATT Windsor Pro Mixed Metal CR1 pairs wonderfully with the Kai blade. Medium efficient, smooth and nicely effective. A very impressive combination! :thumbup:
20210818_135844~2.jpg

The vintage Opal 100, with 24mm Best Badger knot, is an outstanding brush. Reminds me (a lot) of my Simpson The Duke 2 in Best - high praise indeed! :thumbup:

Used the new non-tallow Tabac from Tuesday - Friday, will now use the original tallow-based Tabac Saturday - Wednesday and then finish up the comparison with the new non-tallow Tabac Thursday - Sunday (a 4 - 5 - 4 rotation) which should bring focus to my observations and impressions. I'm going to reserve my final comparison of the two Tabacs until I've completed the full rotation. I will, of course, post my daily observations with each shave.

The "Modified @Marco Method" is used for all shaves with both versions.

Final shave with the original tallow Tabac and then back to the new, non-tallow version. My notes from the past four days also apply to today's shave. Original Tabac with tallow is really good soap. It's a darn shame they stopped making it. More details to follow when I've completed the comparison shaves. :thumbup:
20210818_135936~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For my Aftershave, Tabac finished things off nicely! :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 231 for 231 = 100%
20210819_143648~2.jpg

Razor: Timeless Ti 0.68 SB (Timeless TRH6 Handle)
Blade: Kai (4)
Brush: Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)
Lather: Tabac (non-tallow)
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

The Timeless Ti 0.68 is mild and exceedingly smooth. Needs an extra pass (plus touchups) to get my shave where I want it to be. It accomplishes this without any irritation. Very appropriate as a DE daily driver. :thumbup:
20210819_143735~2.jpg

The Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe with Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan is an outstanding brush. Very versatile - at ease bowl and face lathering. Nice backbone. Decent scrub. No scritch. Love using it! :thumbup:

Used the new non-tallow Tabac from Tuesday - Friday and the original tallow-based Tabac Saturday - Wednesday. Finishing up my 4-5-4 comparison rotation with the new non-tallow Tabac Thursday - Sunday. I am comfortable, at this point, posting more detailed observations with each shave.

Today's shave using the new, non-tallow Tabac: Really easy to lather. Copious amounts of yogurt consistency lather. Decent cushion. Fairly slick. Post shave skin feel is good. On the scent front, the soap smells clean, bright and floral. Overall, the non-tallow Tabac is a very good soap. :thumbup:

The original, tallow-based Tabac creates a denser lather, has better residual slickness and a better post-shave feel.

The new, non-Tallow Tabac builds a more voluminous lather. Initial slickness is on a par with the original.

Both the original and the new Tabacs are wonderful soaps. Since the tallow-based version is no longer made, the new non-tallow version will work just fine for your Tabac fix.

Bottom line: Edge to the original tallow-based Tabac with the caveat that the differences are not huge, by any measure. In my opinion, not worth setting off on a Holy Grail search, or anything like that. :)

I'm still finishing out the 4-5-4 comparison rotation (the FOCS on Friday and the Vector SB on Saturday and Sunday) and will continue to report additional observations.
20210819_143648~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For my Aftershave, Bootlegger's Bay Rum is a wonderful finish. Face feels great!! :thumbup:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
View attachment 1314274

The Timeless Ti 0.68 is mild and exceedingly smooth. Needs an extra pass (plus touchups) to get my shave where I want it to be. It accomplishes this without any irritation. Very appropriate as a DE daily driver. :thumbup:
View attachment 1314275
The Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe with Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan is an outstanding brush. Very versatile - at ease bowl and face lathering. Nice backbone. Decent scrub. No scritch. Love using it! :thumbup:

Used the new non-tallow Tabac from Tuesday - Friday and the original tallow-based Tabac Saturday - Wednesday. Finishing up my 4-5-4 comparison rotation with the new non-tallow Tabac Thursday - Sunday. I am comfortable, at this point, posting more detailed observations with each shave.

Today's shave using the new, non-tallow Tabac: Really easy to lather. Copious amounts of yogurt consistency lather. Decent cushion. Fairly slick. Post shave skin feel is good. On the scent front, the soap smells clean, bright and floral. Overall, the non-tallow Tabac is a very good soap. :thumbup:

The original, tallow-based Tabac creates a denser lather, has better residual slickness and a better post-shave feel.

The new, non-Tallow Tabac builds a more voluminous lather. Initial slickness is on a par with the original.

Both the original and the new Tabacs are wonderful soaps. Since the tallow-based version is no longer made, the new non-tallow version will work just fine for your Tabac fix.

Bottom line: Edge to the original tallow-based Tabac with the caveat that the differences are not huge, by any measure. In my opinion, not worth setting off on a Holy Grail search, or anything like that. :)

I'm still finishing out the 4-5-4 comparison rotation (the FOCS on Friday and the Vector SB on Saturday and Sunday) and will continue to report additional observations.
View attachment 1314276
For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For my Aftershave, Bootlegger's Bay Rum is a wonderful finish. Face feels great!! :thumbup:

Excellent conclusions, Professor!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 232 for 232 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
Knights of the Veg Table
20210820_134221_2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (1)
Brush: Omega EVO
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

The Mixed Metal Fatip Lo Storto Originale looks cool and shaves great! Efficient, smooth and effective - every shave with the FOCS rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:
20210820_134321_2.jpg

The Omega EVO is an outstanding synthetic brush that I reach for almost every Friday. Whether bowl or face lathering, the EVO performs wonderfully. :thumbup:

Today's shave using the non-tallow Tabac was consistent with my previous shaves: Easy to lather. Copious amounts of yogurt consistency lather. Decent cushion. Fairly slick. Post shave skin feel is good. On the scent front, the soap smells clean, bright and floral. A very good soap. :thumbup:
20210820_134401_2.jpg

View attachment 1314274

View attachment 1314275

View attachment 1314276

So in my personal opinion getting some tallow stock for regular store prices (7.99) was worth the effort. I won’t have to go unicorn hunting should prices hike and the new formula will give a decent shave should I ever need to restock. Many thanks for the comparison week. I guess I will use both versions alternately during Tabactober to see for myself.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So in my personal opinion getting some tallow stock for regular store prices (7.99) was worth the effort. I won’t have to go unicorn hunting should prices hike and the new formula will give a decent shave should I ever need to restock. Many thanks for the comparison week. I guess I will use both versions alternately during Tabactober to see for myself.

The original, tallow-based Tabac was an excellent soap. I like the scent so it had no real downsides for me.

I want to experiment more with water amounts using the new, non-tallow Tabac to see if it is capable of a similar lather density.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 233 for 233 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
Bootlegger's Brigands
20210821_194321~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Bowl: N/A - Face Lathered
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

My high opinion regarding the Blackland Razors Vector SB is well documented. The Vector and the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG are a superb match - an excellent Top Tier medium efficient, exceptionally smooth and wonderfully effective shaving instrument. The Vector's low profile head creates a very nimble and maneuverable feel. A thoroughly impressive combination! :thumbup:
20210821_194359~2.jpg

Rudy Vey crafts awsome brushes and the Butterscotch Beehive is no exception. The handle is ergonomic and very easy to grip. The Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip knot is my favorite badger knot. Great combination. Great brush! :thumbup:

Face lathered today with the non-tallow Tabac. Still consistent. Easy to lather. Decent cushion. Fairly slick. Post shave skin feel is good. As I've stated previously, it is a good non-tallow soap. :thumbup:
20210821_194436~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Bootlegger's Bay Rum is always a wonderful finish to my shave. Face feels great!! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 234 for 234 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
Single Edge Sunday
20210822_120510~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey The Favorite (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Original Stetson Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: Original Stetson Cologne Splash

My high opinion regarding the Blackland Razors Vector SB (and OC) is well documented. A thoroughly impressive, and my favorite, SE razor! :thumbup:
20210822_120559~2.jpg

My high opinion of Rudy Vey brushes, especially so when sporting the Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip knot, is also well documented. The Favorite is one of my favorite handles - ergonomic and very easy to grip. Great combination. Great brush! :thumbup:

Bowl lathered today with the non-tallow Tabac. With the tallow version, it made little difference - bowl lathering and face lathering worked great. With the non-tallow version, I believe that I prefer bowl lathering. It seems to be easier to get the type of lather I prefer in the bowl when using the non-tallow version. :thumbup:
20210822_120646~2.jpg

For my post-shave balm, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For Aftershave and Fragrance, I followed with my longtime Sunday go to church favorites: Original Stetson Aftershave Splash and Original Stetson Cologne splash. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Also posted to my journal:

Regarding original, tallow Tabac vs. new, non-tallow Tabac:

In my opinion, the new non-tallow Tabac is a decent non-tallow soap. It is not, however, as good as the original tallow Tabac in the areas of lather density or slickness (initial or residual). Since only the non-tallow version is available, each one of us has to decide to either go unicorn hunting, migrate to the new version or accept that, moving forward, non-tallow Tabac may not be in the cards.

For me? I don't hunt unicorns. On occasion, I'll use my remaining puck of original Tabac until it's gone and that will be that.

Will I use the new, non-tallow Tabac? Sure. It probably won't break in to my favorite vegan/non-tallow category, but it's decent non-tallow soap that gets the job done.

How does the new, non-tallow Tabac compare to other non-tallow and vegan soaps? There are several (MdC, WSP Rustic, SV, Haslinger, to name a few) excellent non-tallow shaving soaps out there that I would rank ahead of the non-tallow Tabac.

Will I use the non-tallow Tabac again? Of course I will. It is a nice option to have and (occasionally) use.

This doesn't even count the number of good/excellent tallow soaps out there for us to use and enjoy.

Hope this helps..... :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Now that I am done with my Tabac tallow vs. Tabac non-tallow comparison, I am back to MdC Monday tomorrow. :)

I think I will take a tour through my other vegan, vegetarian and non-tallow soaps to get a better handle of just where the non-tallow Tabac stacks up.

I really don't pay much attention to whether a soap is vegan, vegetarian, non-tallow or tallow - only care how a soap performs. Guess I'll be reading soap ingredient lists. ;)

Should be an interesting exercise. :)

By the bye, if anyone has favorite vegan, vegetarian and non-tallow soaps, please reply with your suggestions.

Top Bottom