What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
⬆ I wish the two soaps weren't because otherwise I very much like both of the soaps ⬆

My skin is mostly doing very well these days. I seem to have for the most part figured out how to shave without bothering my face and neck and how to treat my body's dermis. What not to do and do and what products to use to maintain it have been determined and implemented over the years.

Used to be I got terribly bad looking chapped skin on my face and neck sometimes, probably related to shaving. Worse, it was quite painful. Occasionally I see a photograph of a man with exactly what I used to experience on my face and neck. Boy, I feel for those guys. I want to share what works with them.

A big secret is the Equate Noxzema knock off. Another, decades more recent, is hyaluronic acid (thanks so much for that tidbit, Frank). Obviously, at least to me, is the need for very good internal hydration (drink water) and for ingesting adequate super healthy fats (avocados for example). A great moisturizer. Don't ever get sunburned at all.

The dryness of my skin is not a big deal in a general sense but it sometimes is in a shaving sense. Certainly dry skin is a much bigger problem for some people than it is for me.

Otherwise I think my skin is pretty easy although a tad on the sensitive side. Just a tad but that tad warns me when I overdo something.

A smidgeon of razor burn can be a subtle teacher and should I think be listened to. Sometimes I've pretended that I could ignore that smidgeon. To my detriment.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 243 for 243 = 100%
Mild/Medium Efficiency August
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Synthetic Summer
Tech Tuesday
20210831_115449.jpg

Razor: Gillette Pre-War Tech (RazoRock Ti Halo Handle)
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Rustic Tobacco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: WSP Tobacco

The Gillette Pre-War Tech is one of my favorite Techs. Four passes plus touchups and my face feels great - smooth, no blood, no irritation. :thumbup:
20210831_115527.jpg

The Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle + TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan is one of my favorite synthetic brushes. Really like how the TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan loads and lathers. Feels good on my face. :thumbup:

WSP Rustic Tobacco runs with the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel! :thumbup:
20210831_115630.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. RazoRock WSP Tobacco is an excellent aftershave. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 244 for 244 = 100%
Bootlegger's Brigands
Wolfman Wednesday
20210901_133101~2.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (5)
Brush: Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

The Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB is a great razor and definitely one of my top DE Big Dogs. The Personna Israeli Platinum Red is one of my favorite blades in the WR2 1.25 SB - very synergistic and produces excellent results. Efficient, very smooth and very effective! :thumbup:
20210901_133151~2.jpg

The Marbled Butterscotch is another wonderful Rudy Vey handle - ergonomic and very easy to grip - paired with my favorite Badger knot, the Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip. This brush is a joy to use. Great combination. Great brush! :thumbup:

WSP Rustic Tobacco runs with the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel! :thumbup:
20210901_133243~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Bootlegger's Bay Rum is an excellent aftershave - one of my favorites. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 245 for 245 = 100%
Bootlegger's Brigands
20210902_162321_2.jpg

Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 V4
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey AS3M Dark Knight (Shavemac 26/52 D01 3-Band)
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

The Mühle Rocca is so smooth that it is "deceptively efficient" and a very effective DE. An excellent razor and an excellent value! :thumbup:
20210902_162412_2.jpg

The Dark Knight is another wonderful Rudy Vey handle - ergonomic and very easy to grip. The Shavemac 26mm D01 3-Band, set at a 52mm loft, has plenty of backbone and scrub. Very nice brush! :thumbup:

20210902_162459_2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday balm. Bootlegger's El Dorado is an excellent aftershave/fragrance - one of my favorites. Very satisfying! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 246 for 246 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
Slantember 2021
20210903_131211.jpg

Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Brush: Omega EVO
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

The Mixed Metal Fatip Lo Storto Originale looks cool and shaves great! The FOCS + Bolzano blade is a consistently wonderful combination. Efficient, smooth and effective - every shave with the FOCS rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:
20210903_131339.jpg

The Omega EVO is an outstanding synthetic brush that I reach for almost every Friday. Whether bowl or face lathering, the EVO performs wonderfully. :thumbup:

20210903_131424.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Pinaud Clubman Aftershave is the perfect Friday finish. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 247 for 247 = 100%
Blackland Brotherhood (B3)
20210904_110715_2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch Lemondrop (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

The Ti Blackbird is intuitive, efficient, smooth and very efficient - a pleasure to use! :thumbup:
20210904_110805_2.jpg

The Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch Lemondrop, sporting the Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip, is a great brush! :thumbup:

20210904_110849_2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Old Spice Classic is a great traditional aftershave. :thumbup:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 248 for 248 = 100%
20210905_105512~2.jpg

Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Original Stetson Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: Original Stetson Cologne Splash

The Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird is an incredible razor. Feels great in my hand and incredibly comfortable on my face. First time trying a Perma-Sharp blade in the Ti Blackbird - won't be the last. The combination works together really well - might just be my favorite blade in the Ti Blackbird to date. :thumbup:
20210905_105600~2.jpg

The Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive is an awesome brush. The handle is ergonomic and very easy to grip. The Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip knot is my favorite badger knot. Makes my face happy! :thumbup:

20210905_105705~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For Aftershave and Fragrance, I followed with my longtime Sunday go to church favorites: Original Stetson Aftershave Splash and Original Stetson Cologne splash. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 249 for 249 = 100%
MdC Monday
20210906_152329_2.jpg

Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Brush: Lowborn Supply Jaded Rose (Maggard 24mm SHD Fan)
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Brut Classic

The Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird is an incredible razor. Nimble and maneuverable - it feels great in my hand and incredibly comfortable on my face. Second shave using a Perma-Sharp blade in the Ti Blackbird. Performed as great as yesterday. The Perma-Sharp is definitely in the running to be named my favorite blade in the Ti Blackbird. :thumbup:
20210906_152405_2.jpg

The Lowborn Supply Jaded Rose handle with Maggard 24mm SHD Fan is a wonderful brush! Feels great on my face and in hand! :thumbup:

Martin de Candre soaps are some of the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel. As good as shaving soap gets! :thumbup:
20210906_152451_2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Followed them with Brut Classic - a great traditional aftershave. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 250 for 250 = 100%
20210907_103406_2.jpg

Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Lather: WSP Formula T Tobacco
Aftershave: 'Whiskey Vanilla' (50/50 mix of Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods & Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla)

The Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird PermaSharp pairing continues to impress me - a lot. The Ti Blackbird is currently the #1 DE razor in the Big Dog Catagory. :thumbup:
20210907_103452_2.jpg

The Rudy Vey Keyhole with a Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip knot is one of my favorite brushes! Everything I need in a brush! :thumbup:

First use of the WSP Formula T Tobacco. Really nice tallow based soap. Considering that this is the first use, a most impressive audition. The WSP Formula T will be the soap star of this week's shaves. More to follow as the week progresses. :thumbup:
20210907_103615_2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Today's aftershave is an experiment: 'Whiskey Vanilla' (or maybe 'Vanilla Whiskey' - haven't decided), a 50/50 mix of Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods & Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla. Great fragrance and feels wonderful on my face. Not a bad experiment at all. :thumbup:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 251 for 251 = 100%
Knights of the Veg Table
20210908_141732~2.jpg

Blade: Perma-Sharp (4)
Brush: Rudy Vey 'The Favorite' (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

The Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird PermaSharp pairing is very impressive! I am enjoying my shaves with the Ti Blackbird very much. The Ti Blackbird, like the Vector, could easily be my Daily Driver! :thumbup:
20210908_141821~2.jpg

My Rudy Vey 'The Favorite', with Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip knot, is an outstanding brush! :thumbup:

Second use of the WSP Formula T Tobacco. Really nice tallow based soap. Second use is just as impressive as the first. The WSP Formula T is a very good soap - looking forward to the rest of this week's shaves. More to follow as things progress. :thumbup:
20210908_141919~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Today's aftershave is Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal. Rocking The Veg! :punk: :thumbup:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 252 for 252 = 100%
20210909_142608_2.jpg

Blade: Perma-Sharp (5)
Brush: Saponifcio Varesino Custom LE, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle (Hand-tied 30mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot)
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Original Stetson Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: Original Stetson Cologne Splash

The Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird PermaSharp pairing continues to impress. Effortless excellence. The Ti Blackbird, like the Vector, could easily be my Daily Driver! :thumbup:
20210909_142714_2.jpg

The Saponifcio Varesino Custom LE, Golden Pewter Crown, Olive Wood Handle brush is an incredible brush. The Hand-tied 30mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot blends soft tips, backbone and scrub in appropriate proportions. Lathers beautifully with great flow through. Outstanding performance and worth the price. :thumbup:

The WSP Formula T Tobacco is a very impressive tallow based soap. Definitely adding it to my regular soap rotation. :thumbup:
20210909_142901_2.jpg

For post-shave today, trying the combination of Nivea Sensitive Skin Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid. In this application, the sensitive works just as well as the regular - maybe even better. For Aftershave and Fragrance, I followed with two of my longtime favorites: Original Stetson Aftershave Splash and Original Stetson Cologne splash. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1631276704592.png

Brush: Saponifcio Varesino Custom LE, Pewter Crown, Bog Wood Handle (Hand-tied 30mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot)

The Saponifcio Varesino Custom LE, Golden Pewter Crown, Olive Wood Handle brush is an incredible brush. The Hand-tied 30mm 2-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Knot blends soft tips, backbone and scrub in appropriate proportions. Lathers beautifully with great flow through. Outstanding performance and worth the price. :thumbup:

Used to lust after those brushes, but read some tend to shed pretty badly which put my BAD into apparently temporary remission.

I'm sure yours doesn't shed though.

It's the right size, too, of course. I used to see them in 30 mm. Now all I find online are 26 mm. Not that I looked too very long.

Your olive wood SV brush might be even better looking to some, but I'd say they're tied for first.

Drool!

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1325792

Used to lust after those brushes, but read some tend to shed pretty badly which put my BAD into apparently temporary remission.

I'm sure yours doesn't shed though.

It's the right size, too, of course. I used to see them in 30 mm. Now all I find online are 26 mm. Not that I looked too very long.

Your olive wood SV brush might be even better looking to some, but I'd say they're tied for first.

Drool!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you, Jim. No shedding (knock on wood) to date with either SV brush.

In subsequent correspondence (after I posted my shave) with the Gentleman from whom I purchased the Bog Oak brush, he advised me that he purchased it as a 26mm brush. Measuring these brushes is awkward, at best. The only place I can readily measure is where crown meets brush, and that is where I measured 30mm with my digital caliper. Rather than confuse the issue, since I am not going to try and remove the crowns just to measure, I may just not list any size designation when I use either one of the SV brushes.

Whatever size, the SV brushes are truly wonderful.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 253 for 253 = 100%
Bootlegger's Brigands
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
Slantember 2021
20210910_150424_2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (3)
Brush: Omega EVO
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

The Mixed Metal Fatip Lo Storto Originale looks cool and shaves great! The FOCS + Bolzano blade is a consistently wonderful combination. Efficient, smooth and effective - the FOCS rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:
20210910_150500_2.jpg

The Omega EVO is an outstanding synthetic brush that I reach for almost every Friday. Whether bowl or face lathering, the EVO performs wonderfully. :thumbup:

WSP Model T Tobacco has taken its place with the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel! :thumbup:
20210910_150551_2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For my Friday Aftershave/Fragrance, Bootlegger's El Dorado is one of my favorites. :thumbup:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
🇺🇸 🇺🇸 9/11/2001 - Never Forget 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
365 Shaves in 2021: 254 for 254 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
20210911_161508_2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird SB (RazoRock Ti Halo Handle)
Brush: Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Floïd The Genuine

My high opinion regarding the Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird is well documented. Very impressive razor! To further BOSC SCIENCE (and help out my friend Jim - @Chan Eil Whiskers with a comparison of handles), today I am using the RazoRock Ti Halo handle with the Stainless Blackbird SB. Loaded up a fresh Perma-Sharp blade and proceeded to shave. First off, I really like the RR Ti Halo handle and use it on a variety of razors. The Ti Halo is 100mm long. I prefer a handle in the 80mm long range, but the Ti Halo's extra length has never been objectionable. This was a great shave. Did the Ti Halo improve things over the stock Blackland handle? Not ready to say. I can state that it sure as heck didn't degrade the shave. Tomorrow, I will use the Ti Halo on the Ti Blackbird. More to follow. :thumbup:
20210911_161549_2.jpg

The Marbled Butterscotch is another wonderful Rudy Vey handle - ergonomic and very easy to grip - paired with the wonderful Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip. This brush is a joy to use! :thumbup:

WSP Formula T Tobacco runs with the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel! :thumbup:
20210911_161659_2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. My aftershave today is the first use of Floïd The Genuine. Classic in every respect - scent and face feel. This one will get a lot of use! :thumbup:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
🇺🇸 🇺🇸 9/11/2001 - Never Forget 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
365 Shaves in 2021: 254 for 254 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
View attachment 1326817
Razor: Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird SB (RazoRock Ti Halo Handle)
Brush: Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Floïd The Genuine

My high opinion regarding the Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird is well documented. Very impressive razor! To further BOSC SCIENCE (and help out my friend Jim - @Chan Eil Whiskers with a comparison of handles), today I am using the RazoRock Ti Halo handle with the Stainless Blackbird SB. Loaded up a fresh Perma-Sharp blade and proceeded to shave. First off, I really like the RR Ti Halo handle and use it on a variety of razors. The Ti Halo is 100mm long. I prefer a handle in the 80mm long range, but the Ti Halo's extra length has never been objectionable. This was a great shave. Did the Ti Halo improve things over the stock Blackland handle? Not ready to say. I can state that it sure as heck didn't degrade the shave. Tomorrow, I will use the Ti Halo on the Ti Blackbird. More to follow. :thumbup:
View attachment 1326818
The Marbled Butterscotch is another wonderful Rudy Vey handle - ergonomic and very easy to grip - paired with the wonderful Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip. This brush is a joy to use! :thumbup:

WSP Formula T Tobacco runs with the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel! :thumbup:
View attachment 1326819
For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. My aftershave today is the first use of Floïd The Genuine. Classic in every respect - scent and face feel. This one will get a lot of use! :thumbup:

Thanks, David.

What I'm interested in isn't the handle swap exactly.

What I'm interested in is this:
  • How does the SS Blackbird head compare with the Ti Blackbird head. (When both head are used on the same Ti handle.)
It's a head to head comparison controlling for the handle.

In my experience with it the SS Blackbird head improves dramatically when used with the RR Ti Halo handle, but how does it compare to the Ti Blackbird head on the same Ti Halo handle.

Much the same experiment could be done by using both razor heads with the same Blackbird Ti handle.

I do not have a Ti Blackbird. Lots of fellows say its a better razor than the SS Blackbird. I'm thinking by reducing the weight of overall SS razor (by substituting a lighter Ti handle) a SS Blackbird head might approximate the "better" performance of the Ti Blackbird.

Make sense?

Thanks for doing this for me and for science, David.

Happy shaves,

Jim

P.S. For the record, I find the stock Blackbird handle beautiful, but too skinny.

Top Bottom